HOME       >>       Science and Technology

How Do You Define The Natural Resources (Sun, Moon, Cloud...) As She Or He?

web_designer

i think most people will refer to them as "it". i think the real question here though is if you were to personally assign a gender to those things, what would the genders be. "it" is a very general word so i think the point of the thread was to be more specific. heck, i've referred to a baby as an "it" before i.e. "it's getting hungry" or "it's getting tired", etc...
so let's start out simple. if you had to, would you say the sun is a HE or a SHE?

i said that before anwiii, most of other languages give them a gender. only english and maybe a few more language don't. 

and never mind calling a baby by "it". they deserve it, they are naughty most of the time  . and i still say, i call the sun as "SHE" and the moon as "HE".

rpgsearcherz

I would refer to things relating to storms or destruction as being "he's" then (the sun, the moon, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.) and I would refer to those that reflect more of the nurturing things as being "she's" (such as water, snow, the sky, foods, etc.).

Shahrukh

how you define our natural resources as SHE or HE??

I would rather call them all IT.
But then it would make speech very dull.

As other people have said, I think that gender of such things depends on the culture and religion and native language.

so what do you think or how do you name ( SUN, MOON, CLOUD, WIND, STAR, SKY, RAIN, earth )??

Sun: He
Moon: He. But moonlight is a she.
Cloud: He
Wind: She
Star: He
Rain: She
Earth: She

Because they are referred to this way in Urdu, my native language.

I would refer to things relating to storms or destruction as being "he's" then (the sun, the moon, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.) and I would refer to those that reflect more of the nurturing things as being "she's" (such as water, snow, the sky, foods, etc.).

Hey! Thats unfair. Men can be pretty nurturing too. And women can be destructive too.

web_designer

i like your way of thinking rpgsearcherz even it is not always correct, like Shahrukh said, men could also be nurturing and tenderness just like women. and especially for someone i know who thinks that women are destructive more than men .

and Shahrukh, it is nice to think that MOONLIGHT is a she, i definitely think that too .

anwiii

it is nice to think that MOONLIGHT is a she, i definitely think that too .

the moon is a he and moonlight is a she? what is this supposed to mean? the moon is gay and giving off feminine qualities? i would also have to say that that is one ugly "she" to be hiding in the dark!

web_designer

the moon is a he and moonlight is a she? what is this supposed to mean? the moon is gay and giving off feminine qualities? i would also have to say that that is one ugly "she" to be hiding in the dark!

nooo anwiii, i think it is nice to think that the moonlight is a SHE even whereas the moon is a HE. because moonlights is more soft and kind to be a HE, and don't messed things up in here, it is not about the absolute meaning of he or she, but how you look and feel of the gender of anything in the nature.

Shahrukh

and Shahrukh, it is nice to think that MOONLIGHT is a she, i definitely think that too .

I am glad we agree over that.

Well...light is a 'she', so moonlight is a she too. But moon is a satellite, ought to be a 'he'.

Quatrux

to me, SUN is she, MOON is he, CLOUD is she, WIND is he, STAR is she, SKY is he, RAIN is he, and EARTH is she.

In my country language, the word can be feminine or masculine..

so to me, SUN is she, MOON is he, CLOUD is he, WIND is he, STAR is she, SKY is he, RAIN is he and EARTH is she.

So the difference is only in CLOUD, in my country different books and etc., clouds are usually male faced

Moonlight for me is is also she, but only because the word LIGHT is she, but the MOON is he, so it's his light and light is she

About moonlight, in my mother tongue, it's separate words moon light, in English it seems to be not separate, even though I just thought, that we have one word which is a synonym for moonlight, it's also a she though

mahesh2k

Here in this part of the world we have following way to note the things. Sun: HeMoon: HeAir: HeWind: HeEarth: SheRiver: SheOcean: HeElectricity: SheMeteors: SheCold/winter: SheThere is more but i managed to remember this much.

web_designer

Earth: SheRiver: She
Ocean: He

Electricity: She
Meteors: She
Cold/winter: She

There is more but i managed to remember this much.

good mahesh, you added new things to give them genders, i will tell you how i call these new natural resources

Earth: is a she.
River: is a he.
Ocean: is a he.

Electricity: is a she.
Meteors: is a she.
Cold/winter: is a he.
hot/summer: is a he.
spring: is a he.
autumn: is a he.

and i will wait for you mahesh to remember more and post in here .

mahesh2k

Okay, here i remember more,something related to music.Music: SheDrum: heFlute: shepiano: henotes: shebeats: heviolin: shelol. I'll come up with vegetable list next time if i able to collect enough.

web_designer

Okay, here i remember more,something related to music.
Music: She
Drum: he
Flute: she
piano: he
notes: she

beats: he
violin: she

lol. I'll come up with vegetable list next time if i able to collect enough.

music instruments!!! and vegetables!!!
hey mahesh, the topic is about the gender of our natural resources, not music or vegetable haha but this is funny. now we could start arguing about the gender of tomato and banana .

chini13

Now what will happen to the Indian movies which compares moon to woman..Oh i guess they have to think again..Moon is Gay
The natural resources generally having great strength are considered He and those having the feminine qualites can be referred to as She..But i don't know about the gay resources

kleong

I would say all can be called as She. I have never heard of anyone referring to the natural resources as He thou.

web_designer

I would say all can be called as She. I have never heard of anyone referring to the natural resources as He thou.

well kleong, i think it is all depend on your language i guess. most of languages give genders to the natural resources like French, Spanish, Arabic...ect. but the English for example did not.

Rael IAK

I refer to all these things as "it" since, being non-living things, gender is irrelevant. This just means I'm probably agreeing with most people who replied to this topic. I was brought up in no particular religion and my education is in biology. I tend to think of things in that perspective as a result. If I had a different upbringing, I could see myself referring to non-living things as male or female. Although "Mother Nature" is a very common term in the English language, I find I rarely use it.

Pages :-

Page 1Page 2

VIEW DESKTOP VERSION REGISTERGET FREE HOSTING

Xisto.com offers Free Web Hosting to its Members for their participation in this Community. We moderate all content posted here but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our terms of use, cookie and privacy policy. Copyright 2001-2019 by Xisto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.