HOME       >>       Science and Technology

How Did They Live So Long? What if they didnt?

truefusion

Okay, "hardened his heart" doesn't necessarily mean that God took away Pharoah's/Saul's freedom of choice... it just means that God made them angry and more stubborn when he made it clear they were doing things wrongly. If you "know" you're right, and I try to convince you otherwise, you will just become more stubborn and "harden your heart".

I suppose hardening one's heart could be a form of "ultimate persuasion," but if it were concerning on whether or not those whose hearts were hardened learned a lesson, shouldn't, for example, Pharoah have learned plenty of lessons? When you are given absolute proof for God's existence, aren't you supposed to acknowledge such things? It was indeed made clear to both that they were in the wrong, for how many times did they say they have sinned? But how can God make someone more stubborn when Pharaoh agreed to let them go and when Moses and Aaron had already left, if not by Pharaoh losing some freedom? Likewise with Saul with the burdening spirit that God sent to him.

And goodness, "completely dry" can mean lots of things. It could mean that all the water had run off of the land that was going to. Say I have 20 acres (our family actually used to) with a creek. It rains 2 feet one day and floods the banks, covering several acres. Over the course of a week, all the water has gone back down to a normal level. I would say that our 20 acres have finally dried up, even though the creek is still flowing, just at a normal level. It's just the way people talk. People in the Bible didn't spell out everything in technical language, nor do we now. Genesis was not written as a science textbook, more as a history book. And for the entire earth to recover from such a flood, it would probably take a year for all the water to dump back into the oceans. I believe that the Grand Canyon is a great example of a "flood river". It's still flowing today, but I doubt that Noah heard from North America that there was still some runoff, seeing as how he landed on a mountain in present-day Turkey.

That is all good within a local flood, but my question concerns a global flood. Genesis does not have to be written as a science textbook to still mention everything we have been discussing.

ORene

I've been thinking some more about your theory... and haven't you thought that the numbers in the bible are symbolic? there are numbers everywhere... also 120 is referred as a 'number of perfection', many of the numbers in the bible have hidden meanings tho... so it wouldn't surprise me if those long living persons and those big numbers were something symbolic and didn't exactly have anything to do at all with the flood thing

KansukeKojima

I've been thinking some more about your theory... and haven't you thought that the numbers in the bible are symbolic? there are numbers everywhere... also 120 is referred as a 'number of perfection', many of the numbers in the bible have hidden meanings tho... so it wouldn't surprise me if those long living persons and those big numbers were something symbolic and didn't exactly have anything to do at all with the flood thing

There is a field of study regarding the symbolic meanings of numbers in the bible. However, as far as I know - the people who study this have never found any symbolic meanings in the ages of people. There are indeed numbers in the bible with symbolic meanings, common occurrences, etc., however the ages of people do not have any such special meaning. The ages are simply that - ages.

curtis07

Truefusion, I'm not saying that God used "ultimate persuasion" on Pharoah. I believe that Pharoah just didn't want God ruining his way of life. Pharoah believed that he was a god himself. He may have been given proof of the existence of God, but he was stuck in his little power struggle, so he completely hated God, hardening his heart. Pharoah didn't like the new competition, so he made a firm stand against God.

And ORene, there are some symbolic numbers in the Bible, but they're written a little differently. In Daniel, for instance, it doesn't refer to days, rather "times". If you do the math, you can see how the prophecies were fulfilled. Here are some links to some charts I found on that topic (the first is to a 5MB pdf, just a warning):

http://sdapillars.org/media/download_gallery/1850chart.pdf

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com/Biblepro2300dayprophecy

Also, think logically for a moment. On day 3 of creation, God created plants. Then on day 4, God created the Sun. If a day equals a year in Genesis, how did all of the vegetation survive for an entire year without photosynthesis? God had already created light, but the Sun is the main food for most plants nowadays. Plus, the Sun makes the right kind of light for plants. The only argument in favor of day-years is that maybe God put up a temporary fix--a light for the plants until he could get around to the Sun. I just don't see God doing something sloppy like that.

I believe that people actually did live to be 100s of years old. I also believe that people were generally taller, in better health, and were in many other ways superior to humans today. It kinda makes sense that the human race would degrade like that over the course of a couple thousand years. Imagine if McDonald's was around back than! We'd have a 10-year lifespan or something horribly low like that.

room2593

I'm gonna bump this thread again.So do you still believe in a localized flood? Or do you consent to the "worldwide flood" theory? Just gauging the effect of my arguements.At this point, if you don't agree, then I don't think I can convince you.And upon the topic of the symbolic ages - I agree. The only age that had any significance was that of Methuselah, and that's just because he was going to live UNTIL the flood and no longer. The actual number of years he lived has no significance.

curtis07

Yeah, I don't see how one could think the ages of people had any symbolic significance. I mean, if it did, Adam's 960 years would turn into what? Less than 3 years? And then he had kids?! Or 960 weeks? That's still something like 20 or 25 years... maybe 960... sorry, I can't think of how that would work.Sorry for the sarcasm. I can't help it sometimes.Yeah, good old Methuselah, with his 969 healthy, long years. Too bad the idiots back then had to screw up the human race. Grrr. And then there were idiots after the flood! Ever hear of the tower of Babel? That would be why there are different languages. Goodness.

Pages :-

Page 1Page 2

VIEW DESKTOP VERSION REGISTERGET FREE HOSTING

Xisto.com offers Free Web Hosting to its Members for their participation in this Community. We moderate all content posted here but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our terms of use, cookie and privacy policy. Copyright 2001-2019 by Xisto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.