xisto Community
BooZker

Smart Shower Open it to see the amazing smart shower

Smart Shower  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, here is another one of my amazingly genius ideas since i am the mad scienctist and all. haha.

A smart shower! Dont you hate it when you jump in the shower, and, OUCH! To hot! Jump back out or move to the side and turn it down. Or you dive in (not for real haha) and eeeek! To cold!

I have found the solution and if anyone wants to help me make it i would love it, doubt anyone can, but it would be cool.

The solution? Put a microchip inside. That simple. Have a waterproof LCD screen (I am working on an image) and have a ultra simple OS built in. Most likely a linux. Before you get in the shower you push your name and/or picture on the screen. Pick a preset such as "Oscar's Hot Shower" or "Oscar's Cold Shower." Step back take off you clothes. Sit on the can and wait, and when the water is all heated to the tempature you have set it to the shower will SAY,"Oscar, the shower is now operational."

How cool is that!

Some other things i though about for it would be voice activated. Maybe for one male and female user. The male (deeper voice) says shower activate. The shower asks,"How would you like your shower today Oscar." You say "I would like my Hot Shower preset." "Alright Oscar. I'll call you when it's ready," the shower says.

Or maybe... DUN DUN DUN... the secret weapon of the, SMART SHOWER. Every time you take a shower in the smart shower you puch your name, no preset, and after about 10 showers it remembers how hot you keep your showers! So no need for presets, but simple push or say your name, wait for it to call you, and its set to the perfect tempature!

Another small feature I was thinking about was it would warn you, like a battery meter on a cell phone or laptop, how much hot water you have left before it goes cold. I HATE COLD SHOWERS, but no more with the Smart Showers cold water warning lights! lol

So what are you guys and gals's thoughts on this?

This is an extremely interesting idea. I think that there are other showers that can do some of the things that you have described, although they don't have the fancyLinux OS and voice activation.However, what about cost? Think of the demand. Some people, like me, are perfectlyokay with their current shower even though it might be too hot or too cold sometimes.To some people, the cost of such a device just wouldn't be worth it. Also, what about installation? The installation would involve making some connectionsand modifications to the original shower. You would have to get somebody to comeand fix it in. That person would have to be paid. That person would have to be trainedtoo. It takes money to train a person to do a job.In selling the product, you would have to consider:## Advertising## Installation fee | ** Installer's salary ** Installer training ** Misc. installation related fees ( tools, gas, van/truck, etc. )## OS programming costs## Hardware costs## Assembly costs## Shipping costs## Worker recruitment costs## Factory costs## Voice activation programming costs ( voice activation is hard to program )This might be a good tutorial to write, but selling it would be extremely difficult.However, I might be wrong. There might a market among people who lovetaking a shower. Nearly everybody I met has this problem, but nobody I knowwould want to spend the money on that.

Its good for wealthy people, but I do not think that average people will have any use for it. If this happens all you have to do is wait till you can make the temp just tight, you do not need a big machine, but there will be people that wil buy your product, but moist average people will have no use for it.

I'm sure your idea isn't original boozker. Not that I'm saying you stole it, it's a good idea and all, but for not too much, a person could install a cheap knock-off of what you're describing... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Sorry man... :lol:

What boozoker had in my i think is different then the one you posted Wm. I think his would be put in the shower and not outside of it, thats why he wanted a waterproof LCD screen. Also, it would help make the water at the temp right when you set it so once you clicked don lets say warm, it will be warm right away instead of having to wait for it to warm up, so if what i said was what boozker had in mind than i think that it is much much different than what you showed us

It is a useful concept but it not only has been brought up before it's been used in a number of things before. The reason for that is it is one of the more basic conveniences that a person might want. It could very well be something taken for granted in the near future. It's a great idea man but I don't think it necessarily has to be a 'smart shower'. All that's really needed is a few buttons where you can set the temperature and save it so it can be even easier for you the next time. There isn't much need for any graphical interface per se unless you really are rich and you don't mind spending money unnecessarily. What might be best for now is to offer to install an average looking shower that includes the 'smart shower' system. It never hurts to think about these types of innovations. Sometimes you might stumble upon something new. Great idea.

It is a useful concept but it not only has been brought up before it's been used in a number of things before. The reason for that is it is one of the more basic conveniences that a person might want. It could very well be something taken for granted in the near future. It's a great idea man but I don't think it necessarily has to be a 'smart shower'. All that's really needed is a few buttons where you can set the temperature and save it so it can be even easier for you the next time. There isn't much need for any graphical interface per se unless you really are rich and you don't mind spending money unnecessarily. What might be best for now is to offer to install an average looking shower that includes the 'smart shower' system. It never hurts to think about these types of innovations. Sometimes you might stumble upon something new. Great idea.

Yeah if showers were built in with this technology then i think it will be a big hit because people won't have to install it and get it ready , and less problems will be involved because of it. There will also be a better demand for it, and i think the overall product will be much better

I'm sure your idea isn't original boozker. Not that I'm saying you stole it, it's a good idea and all, but for not too much, a person could install a cheap knock-off of what you're describing... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Sorry man...

This is about 90% different then what i thought about.

The other 10% is the name haha.

The look is bad, not an OS, outside of the shower, no voice activation or voice recognition or anything. It's just a gauge hung on a wall that tells you when the water is warm haha.

What boozoker had in my i think is different then the one you posted Wm. I think his would be put in the shower and not outside of it, thats why he wanted a waterproof LCD screen. Also, it would help make the water at the temp right when you set it so once you clicked don lets say warm, it will be warm right away instead of having to wait for it to warm up, so if what i said was what boozker had in mind than i think that it is much much different than what you showed us

At least someone understands. :lol: Thank YOU! Yes, though, this is what I had in mind more. This is not a fricken gauge like the one WM posted a link to.

Yes, you could have just a few buttons, but its the same as if you conpared it to a car. You CAN have a tape deck and it plays music, but wouldnt you rather have a AUX and have iPod hooked to it with 10,000 songs? Either way you can listen to the same music and it's only music. A modern convience as you said, but would it be so much better if you had a AUX iPod jack rather then a tape player? Mine would have multiple users, voice activation, and more. This is not just to be flashy, but to be MORE convienent.

Think of walking into you bathroom saying shower activate, it asking your name/user and then heating up within less then a minute, and telling you it heated and ready for you and when you get out, say shower off. All done. Yes, you for sure don't need any of this and could get by just fine without, but wouldn't it be nice?

------------------------

Now for the quote I wanted to reply to most :lol:

## Advertising

## Installation fee

|

** Installer's salary

** Installer training

** Misc. installation related fees ( tools, gas, van/truck, etc. )

## OS programming costs

## Hardware costs

## Assembly costs

## Shipping costs

## Worker recruitment costs

## Factory costs

## Voice activation programming costs ( voice activation is hard to program )

One by one i will explain just how easy it is.

1. Yes, this would cost money. Isn't everything advertised though? I see sink and faucets advertised all the time.

2. Installation fee = $0 more than a normal shower

2a. Why? Because there is no installation any different then a regular shower faucet piece. You know, the piece that makes it hotter or colder? The shower head can be the same.

2b. Only cost would be a manual which is included with EVERY shower system now anyways.

3. OS programming costs = $0 more than a normal shower.

3a. Have you heard of open source? Before this would be made we would have a Linux distro help us out with a basic OS, test it for ANY bugs, and voila it's done.

3b. I could even program it if i wanted. A simple user system and a even simpler heat gauge to sound. (When it hits X degress say Y)

4. Voice activation programming costs = $?

4a. There would only be a handful of commands. Activate, Preset (#/name[if not to hard]), shut off, and your name/username

4b. Yes it would be hard, but think about how many voice systems their already are. I'm sure pitching the idea and giving Apple or Microsoft a bit of money from it would help haha

All the others are just what a normal shower would cost. It is all contained on one lcd monitor/computer. It's a water proof touch screen device also. Simply connect to shower head. The battery is a rechargeable battery. The largest capacity that is out at that time, You push a buttonand from the bottom the battery pops out. Charge it over night and stick it in when you go to take your next shower. A cord would be available to those who know how to install one.

Still working on a picture, but i hope this explains it a bit better.

Yes, you could have just a few buttons, but its the same as if you conpared it to a car. You CAN have a tape deck and it plays music, but wouldnt you rather have a AUX and have iPod hooked to it with 10,000 songs? Either way you can listen to the same music and it's only music. A modern convience as you said, but would it be so much better if you had a AUX iPod jack rather then a tape player? Mine would have multiple users, voice activation, and more. This is not just to be flashy, but to be MORE convienent.
Think of walking into you bathroom saying shower activate, it asking your name/user and then heating up within less then a minute, and telling you it heated and ready for you and when you get out, say shower off. All done. Yes, you for sure don't need any of this and could get by just fine without, but wouldn't it be nice?

I totally agree with you. Just saying there could be a choice of the case the touch screen version of it with voice activation or just a simple button interface. I truly can appreciate the difference between a tape deck and an iPod. Besides, the fanciest version could be marketed towards the richer folks. If it does come down to not being all that expensive then the whole thing could just be standard. That would indeed be nice.

Have you seen the smart toilets by any chance? In Japan they have these smart toilets that can heat up the seat for you, flush etc. and there's even a toilet specifically for women I believe to hide any unwanted sounds they may make, not quite sure on that one. I saw some of these. Some look like obviously advanced pieces of technology but there was one that looked just like an ordinary toilet. Maybe you can talk to those guys and strike a deal. :lol:

This is about 90% different then what i thought about.

The other 10% is the name haha.

The look is bad, not an OS, outside of the shower, no voice activation or voice recognition or anything. It's just a gauge hung on a wall that tells you when the water is warm haha.

At least someone understands. :lol: Thank YOU! Yes, though, this is what I had in mind more. This is not a fricken gauge like the one WM posted a link to.

----------------------

Now for the quote I wanted to reply to most :lol:

One by one i will explain just how easy it is.

1. Yes, this would cost money. Isn't everything advertised though? I see sink and faucets advertised all the time.

2. Installation fee = $0 more than a normal shower

2a. Why? Because there is no installation any different then a regular shower faucet piece. You know, the piece that makes it hotter or colder? The shower head can be the same.

2b. Only cost would be a manual which is included with EVERY shower system now anyways.

3. OS programming costs = $0 more than a normal shower.

3a. Have you heard of open source? Before this would be made we would have a Linux distro help us out with a basic OS, test it for ANY bugs, and voila it's done.

3b. I could even program it if i wanted. A simple user system and a even simpler heat gauge to sound. (When it hits X degress say Y)

4. Voice activation programming costs = $?

4a. There would only be a handful of commands. Activate, Preset (#/name[if not to hard]), shut off, and your name/username

4b. Yes it would be hard, but think about how many voice systems their already are. I'm sure pitching the idea and giving Apple or Microsoft a bit of money from it would help haha

Still working on a picture, but i hope this explains it a bit better.

And as has been mentioned it would be a great Idea. I would buy it if it wasn't stupidly priced.

Voice activation would not be difficult there are already thousands of programs to do this, with (I reckon) a few open source programs that could be implemented withought too much cost. Also, think that bluetooth voice control is already done cheaply and successfully. This is proof that is is not difficult to to.

The OS would be very simple as explained in the quote above, and the programs could easily be put on said os, no trouble at all.

Ipod support could be added to make it much better, choice of favorite songs whilst youre in the shower..! :( wow!

Groove Armada in the morning.

The only difficulty I can imagine is implementing the water control and monitoring systems. The most difficult one to do would be to get it to know when the source of hot water is going to run out. I'm not really sure where you could start to do this.

I think you should let the Xisto members test out the finished product and keep it for free :(

please!

This would be fine for people who are really into technology: the sort of person who loves having gadgets and computers and such all over the house.I, on the other hand, prefer the low-tech answer to most things. I turn on both faucets, adjust the temperature until my hand is satisfied that everything's good, THEN get in. :lol:

I like the idea, I had actually thought of it before, but not really thought about actually making it. I don't think I would buy it unless it was about the same price as most showers, but I don't think it would be too expensive for a small thing, like something I could program would be no less than $50 in hardware and software costs, but I don't program all too well. I do like the idea, but I think the price would be the biggest deterent as many people would be likely to overprice it since it would have a chip in it.

Im sorry but I have got to say this... what a horrible webpage the showersmartfaucet.com has. The user interface of their gadget seemed to get worse as time passes, I thought the one from 1999 was better.... And the girl from the picture scares me... Oh well, but this is not what this post is about. Its really about Boozkers Idea and I think its pretty cool though its going to be hard to sell, maybe in the near future where homes will be fully automated and they would include something like this, but as of this moment I would see it as a commodity or huge luxury.... What I do to avoid the hot/freezing shower is wait until the water is at a temperature I like.. I stick my hand out into the shower until it is at a comfortable level and then I jump in.

It sounds like a not too bad idea. It'd be nice to have it set at the perfect temperature but for me I probably change it up everyday, or just keep it the same. It only takes about 15 seconds for my shower to warm up and then I can just adjust it myself. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't mind having to adjust it. Maybe just a built in thermometer of the temperature of the water would be nice so I can see how hot it is but that's about it. I would buy one though that has massaging hands that come down and massage your back for you or something like that :lol: There are limitless ideas because not too many people have tried to technologically advance the shower except make waterproof music players. Atleast no one has that I've heard of that has a super smart shower.

Have you seen the smart toilets by any chance? In Japan they have these smart toilets that can heat up the seat for you, flush etc. and there's even a toilet specifically for women I believe to hide any unwanted sounds they may make, not quite sure on that one. I saw some of these. Some look like obviously advanced pieces of technology but there was one that looked just like an ordinary toilet. Maybe you can talk to those guys and strike a deal.

Heard a little about this, but not to much. I want to buy one. I'm just way to lazy to pull the handle down to flush haha. Sounds cool though... HEATED SEATS!!!

Ipod support could be added to make it much better, choice of favorite songs whilst youre in the shower..! tongue.gif wow!Groove Armada in the morning.

Have to admit that would be cool alone. Just a waterproof iPod player and speakers! That's something everyone could buy that can afford an iPod and it hella tight!

What I do to avoid the hot/freezing shower is wait until the water is at a temperature I like.. I stick my hand out into the shower until it is at a comfortable level and then I jump in.

WHAT! That's just to simple and effective. Isn't there any other way to make it harder and maybe burn yourself instead? haha