xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dagoth Nereviar

Problems With My Computer Fan

On some computers, when you first turn it on your fan spins loudly, and then goes quiet. However, mine goes loud and stays loud, and then I have to keep turning it off and back on until it goes normal.I was wondering if anyone had this problem or if anyone knows how to fix it?

I have a quick question for you.Have you ever tried turning it on, and applying pressure around the area that the fan is held at?The reason i ask this is because my grandma had the same problem with her computer, and you could apply pressure to it and it would stop making so much noise so we replaced the Power Supply (i believe) and it stooped making the noise, so maybe you should just consider replacing it? (It being the fan) because they are really cheap!

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

Is the fan properly in place? Is it plugged into the motherboard properly, or is it an old fan? Did it ever used to be quiet? I'm sorry its just that you weren't very informative. You did not provide much details at all. Next time please at least give some information to help us. Besides your problem, for example what used to be like, what happens now, what you last did to it.

I have the same problem with my other computer never knew why but with my search results do the following.Clean hte fan with a brushuse a air can to finish it off try it out still to louduse a single drop of sewing machine oil in a tiny hole in the center of the fanIf that don't work replace the fan.

Sorry about not being descriptive :lol:It's a new case, with the powersupply (and I think maybe the old fan too, but with an extension on the case side).Next time I turn it on, I'll try applying pressure...Then if that doesn't work I'll open it up and take a look around. I was going to do that, but I decided to ask first, so I didn't end up screwing around without having to :(Thanks to all those who replied, will update when I've done the above ^.^

The other problem could be that your power supply does not provide enough wattage therefore it will heat up above a normal temperature and next cool down. Therefore, the fan will run continuously until you turn off the computer and let the power supply cool down.

another one i could think of is that your processor core is heating faster than your fan trying to cool it down. Some(or maybe most) motherboards now monitor processor heat. If it gets too hot the fan will spin as fast as it could in attempt to cool down the processor. Or maybe there isn't thermal solution applied onto your heatsink. Trying giving those some thought too. Hope it helps.

I've looked about inside and nothing's loose, but it probably is something to do with the fan not being able to cool it down as quick as it heats up.However, it's not doing it as much as it used to (it just does it the one time when I first load it up, and then the next time it usually stops)Thanks to all those who replied :lol:

So you're saying that your fan keeps running at a high speed even after your computer is booted up? I guess a couple of things could cause that: 1. Like someone above said, it could be a power supply issue, your fan is not getting a constant wattage so it keeps toggling the fan on or off. You may also have a bad power supply that is losing alot of power when trying to boot your computer or run more intense applications that are nescessary for your fans to run at higher speeds.2. Your computer may just be running really warm. Do you know any internal temperatures of your computer? What is your motherboard running at? How about your CPU? The fan could just realize the high heat and keep running in order to try to cool down your case. Not very probable, but possible. Try finding out what temps your computer is running at to see how hard your fans are needing to work.

My Computer Fan is Making Loud noises as if taking off and it won

My computer's fan sounds like a jet engine taking off... I am going to clean it...But should the dirtyness cause my computer not to even turn on and be able to see things on the screen... My screen just says no signal...Could this be a virus???? any answers would be great!

-question by Adam

fan problems

The 2 fans on my dell laptop xps m1710 is not working what should I do ?

-question by usha

sometimes dust can go inside the connectors try cleaning it first and check if the problem persist. as of the fan spinning wildly, sometimes the powersupply will overload your fan during startup but this will not destroy it because only during the startup. if it is spinning wildly without stopping then look at your bios there is an option there.no signal monitor, try cleaning it first if it still happens they try looking at the connectors see if some are crooked or to deep.usually virus only affects your os files and such but not your motherboard. but there are some motherboard virus out there but usually pretty avoidable because some are preloaded with their own antivirus.

CPU fan run slow speed,no signal to screen

Hi,, just today I cleaned my CPU fan and cleaned HotSink.. And after that my pc wont start.. Fans run in normal speed.. But not high speed (generally in startup for first 2 sec it run slow speed.. Than run on high speed) and even my screen is not getting any ... Like not attachend with my pc..

Something wrong I did during cleanup..????????I cheaked all connection it good.. And as it is like before..

Pls help with this... My emil is bbpatelca@hotmail.Com

Thanks for your helps

-reply by Patel

CPU fan run slow speed,no signal to screen

Hi,, just today I cleaned my CPU fan and cleaned HotSink.. And after that my pc wont start.. Fans run in normal speed.. But not high speed (generally in startup for first 2 sec it run slow speed.. Than run on high speed) and even my screen is not getting any ... Like not attachend with my pc..

Something wrong I did during cleanup..????????I cheaked all connection it good.. And as it is like before..

Pls help with this... My emil is bbpatelca@hotmail.Com

Thanks for your helps

-question by Patel