HOME       >>       Science and Technology

Windows Vista Beta Available? There is one going around

arcalypse

I havent heard a lot about this, but I have heard the name so it rings a bell. What is up with it anyways? I mean I know it is going to bee badass but what is the scoop on it? I hope it's better than I expect it to be. It needs to be userfriendly.

michaelper22

I havent heard a lot about this, but I have heard the name so it rings a bell. What is up with it anyways? I mean I know it is going to bee badass but what is the scoop on it? I hope it's better than I expect it to be. It needs to be userfriendly.

Where have you been all these months? Vista has made it to the papers! Anyways, Vista is Microsoft's latest incarnation of Windows, which they promise (it will be broken within a week, I can guarantee that ) to be the latest and greatest. I don't really feel like typing out all of the huge improvements in Vista, so head over to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to read about anything and everthing that's in Vista.

mtvoyagers

I was one of those beta testers and currently I have Vista. First off, the bigest disapointment I have had is that the Aero effects have been disabled, due to "Program Incompatability". Another disapointment is that currently it has bugs, which is a given , not to bad its just when there is a big one and Vista can't handle it you are dead, you have to re-boot and start over on whatever you were doing, but that happens on average maybe once in three days. As people said up there it does tie up ram, but you should be ok with 512mb. Its really easy to get a key and download legally, BUT it only lasts until June 1, 2007, then Vista and any files associated with Vista will be inaccessable, unless you buy the upgrade and install that over the beta. If your computer is a depended on computer I don't think its a good idea to download Vista, as you will be frustrated if you typing something like this when all of a sudden it freezes. Oh, the download took me about 3-4 hours to download on a high speed broadband connection (RR) and then it took I'd say 45 minutes to an hour to install as an upgrade. It works good, but to bad about Aero. If you want to take a look at whats to be offered with the new operating system but not actually download it, you can download the IE 7 beta, WMP 11 (which from mu pov ROCKS) or the Microsoft Office 2007 programs easy, legally, and for free at microsofts site. Someone also said something about System Requirements, if you go to the Vista Beta site, listed below there is a utility you can download that will evaluate your computer to tell you if your computer is Vista compatable. According to microsoft new beta testers who do not have a key for Vista yet have until well... today to download Vista, and after today, if you have a key you can download Vista until July 14th, GET YOUR KEY QUICK.

Vista BETA:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

IE 7 BETA:

https://support.microsoft.com/help/17621

WMP 11 BETA:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Microsoft Office 2007 BETA:

http://www.microsoft.com/err/office/

If you have any more questions you can pm me.

WarFact

Either all of you are wrong, or I got lucky somehow, because I went to microsoft.com, found the Vista section, and at the bottom, it said Download Windows Vista Beta. So I clicked it, it made me sign up at microsoft, so I did. Then I went back and it had a page with a serial key and like 8 different download links from several locations. It also sent me an email with the links so if I plan on downloading in the future.I may have just gotten lucky, but if not, then it's there.

CrazyRob

Well ive got Vista release 1 from microsoft (no not beta, there past that stage) it works a treat you can buy it for about ?10 so thats around $22.

Tetraca

There is no reason an OS cannot run on a 866 Mhz machine with 256 MB ram, without a DVD drive decently. Linux can. Vista passes that line, wasting more space in the drive and memory than really needed. FreeBSD packs more features, decent applications, etc. into two CDs(1.4 GB approx) which includes KDE(which can do useless stupid effects and run decently on a machine such as mentioned) and as for Vista, it packs less into a 7 GB download(approx 7 CDs). What a waste...What a waste.

mtvoyagers

Well ive got Vista release 1 from microsoft (no not beta, there past that stage) it works a treat you can buy it for about £10 so thats around $22.

That is impossible, and probably illegal, Vista's beta testing new members acceptance closes tonight at 12:00, there is no way you can have a final copy, its not done yet. I am a beta tester and trust me, they can't be ready yet. Really, they aren't past that satge if they are still handing out betas, which they are. Just curious, how did you purchase it? Was it online or in a store.

Go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and you will see, as I quote "Get Ready for Windows Vista

Getting ready for Windows Vista, available in early 2007, means choosing the edition that's right for you and ensuring that you have the right PC to enjoy the experiences you want."

I think you might have waisted that money.

elrohir

what's the big deal about Vista anyways? It's just like mac osx tiger, runs like a cow and has the worst schemes I have seen since XP came out...

Seriously guys, just screw microsoft and get some distro of Linux. I bet that within weeks of the official release of vista (cause they cant do it legally before that), the software for most linux distros will have incorporated any new file extensions. even if you don't have the latest and greatest in hardware, linux runs on pretty much the crappiest pcs around. running server on 98mb RAM, all is smooth, even as a desktop, while even win98 lags.

not that I am saying I think everybody out there has 98mb RAM, but hardware was the concern in this topic...

Download the ISOs from the various sites and get going - or get free CD (and I mean free, postage paid and all). Linux isnt as hard as rumour would have it, and in some ways a lot like Windows.

When XP was first out it was all over the web about being the absolute best, and now vista is getting pretty much the same thing. Now that we all know that XP sucks, perhaps we can draw some conclusions to Vista?

myrmidon

Does anyone knows how and were will be the GUI for Vista be stored? I heard a roumor that it will be completly use the graphic adapters memory ?

delivi

Is the onboard graphics of Intel 915G Motherboard with Intel GMA900 enough for running Windows Vista.

dilipdaniel

yeah windows vista is likely to be released on 7th of december and longhorn is nothin but vista, it has been renamed , and now the betat version of that vista is movin around even in my place

dilipdaniel

windows vista is available only as beta version and not as orginal full version, beta version is used my the MSDN inorder to check faults and rectify it, however it is provided to all the scools and colleges for free and it is beta versionbeta is nothing but demo version

dilipdaniel

windows vista is now long horn .so people please dont get confused, vista and longhorn are the same

dilipdaniel

Vista demo version is of size 2.7gb anf if u install it is really occuping a lottttttt of space, XP is better

tdktank59

I have it...my dads last work had the msdn stuff and he got me it since im the one who likes to expirement...a few req for it.500mb ram +++ more is better3+ gigs for os itsself..dvd rom drive (to install the thing is 2.5gbs)its not worth it at the moment but it has potential... it looks more like a mac interface but with the windows flare to it...

jamson

I used to have a real decent theme for it, i liked it quite a bit. I have signed up for the MSDN beta team and got accepted. I have access to it.. but it is nearly 3gb in size. I eventually downloaded the beta and burnt it and low and behold my computer decides to crash..I can't believe the requirements though, in my opinion they need to lower the requirements for gods sake, i don't think home users would have that kind of computer power!

mtvoyagers

windows vista is now long horn .so people please dont get confused, vista and longhorn are the same

sorry, i dont think ur quite right, I could be wrong but I am 99% sure that Vista is the official name for what WAS project longhorn, now longhorn is to be the new windows server, equvilent to Vista only as a server, longhorn (server) hasn't been released anywhere as a beta..

tdktank59

sorry, i dont think ur quite right, I could be wrong but I am 99% sure that Vista is the official name for what WAS project longhorn, now longhorn is to be the new windows server, equvilent to Vista only as a server, longhorn (server) hasn't been released anywhere as a beta..

that is correct.. Windows Vista went under the codename Longhorn until beta realeases to the msdn when they released the official name of Vista

However the specs arnt that bad... 500mb ram thats not uncommon in the new computers...

the new cheap $500 dells (which are *BLEEP*...) can support vista just fine... so i dont see what your complaining about it being too much for a computer to handle... if your computer can barely support xp get a new one... trust me...

also i dont see how you are having such a problem i got xp to work fine on my old p1 233 mhz computer.... used it as a file server and for music worked just fine... if that computer could support xp any p3 should be able to support vista....

elrohir

hm, people seem worried about the high requirements... now what, I ask you is good about vista?I mean please, I remember in Primary School, they kept saying we were sheep when we all made the same stupid mistakes, or did things just cause others were doing them. This seems to be a case of both. What are you all, half-wit sheep?

scab_dog

Just a quick note to dilipdaniel and others with doubt. 'Longhorn' was a code name for Vista. Before we knew 'Vista' Microsoft refered to the new Windows as Windows Longhorn.

Pages :-

Page 1Page 2Page 3Page 4

VIEW DESKTOP VERSION REGISTERGET FREE HOSTING

Xisto.com offers Free Web Hosting to its Members for their participation in this Community. We moderate all content posted here but we cannot warrant full correctness of all content. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted our terms of use, cookie and privacy policy. Copyright 2001-2019 by Xisto Corporation. All Rights Reserved.