xisto Community
itssami

What Is Programming Language Of Google Etc.?

Im just curious to know , which is the programming language behind the following websites.if u know anyone/all of them please tell me.1- ebay.com2- amazon.com3- msn.com ( i assume asp.net)4- yahoo.com5- google.comAs i mentioned in previous posts that im in learning mode :) so i just ask sometimes stupid questions.. and i have to confess that this forum is very excellent place , since its not only providing the free hosting , it is giving me so much knowledge , what Google or others cant give :P thank you for support always.

People say that google is using a varient of BSD, which is a Unix system. BSD, like Unix, is written in C / C++ mainly. The distributed crawling and caching of data, must be an application buit on the OS, and I suppose they are still written in C / C++. Scripts are too slow for the purpose. The integration with database may be easier , but speed is more important. Yahoo is running BSD too. BSD systems are known to be very stable, probably more stable then Linux and definitely more stable than M$ crappy products.

I assuming you are asking what scripts they are using for their webpages. The only thing we know will be the type of server-side scripting they are using. Database or how they manage their data, we will not know as it is done on the servers and is inivisible to us.

Ebay.com

Most probably JSP. The hint if from the Java logo on it's page. The site is powered by Java.

Amazon.com

Not quite sure. The URL in Amazon are pretty well hidden and the technology used is not very obvious.

Msn.com

ASP definately. It's part of a Microsoft site. We will be laughing if they use any others.

Yahoo.com

Same as Amazon.com, the URL used are pretty well hidden and the technology used is not very obvious.

Google.com

Same as Amazon.com, the URL used are pretty well hidden and the technology used is not very obvious. But I believe Google is using PHP with Zend to speed up processes.

I would presume that Amazon uses C, C++, Java or Perl, as a job advert for a web operator at their UK office reads:

If you have delivered robust, mission-critical applications using C/C++, Perl or Java on UNIX, we want to talk to you.

Using the same technique with Yahoo, they seem to use a combination of the same stuff as Amazon, although a larger focus is placed on C++ as the basis of the system, and other languages used purely to display it on the web.

primarily C++ libraries accessed directly and through Perl, Python, PHP wrapper

Google seems to have gone the whole hog, and has used virtually every programming language under the Sun. Some parts of the site have been done in Python, as shown with the URLs, other bits appear to be in PHP and they advertise for people with skills in C++, Java and Perl.

Then again, I could be totally wrong.

Thanks for the list. It's quite cool just thinking about the language these well known sites use server side for its users. I always thought search engines would have used asp, cgi, php, jsp or something else like that, for the simple reason that they need to be able to execute database commands promptly to produce the relevant information for the users.I reckon the truth is, as mentioned briefly above, that these sites don't just use one programming language, I reckon they use a variety of different programming languages.Still, this is just one of those things we will never have the answer for! :)

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

In addition to the engines that power the searches alot of those sites also use CSS or style sheets and various forms of html. Did you know that those sites where you can not change the size of the fonts with your browser are usually done with style sheets? Style sheets can standardized your font size and look.

In addition to the engines that power the searches alot of those sites also use CSS or style sheets and various forms of html. Did you know that those sites where you can not change the size of the fonts with your browser are usually done with style sheets? Style sheets can standardized your font size and look.

i have seen .aspx in the google website. but, this is not the original langauge of the google. also, asp.net language is not the only one language for this website. for this data access (database) i have no idea. but, they pointing (index) of the db is pretty great ...

Google definitely seems to have a lot to do with Python; and I'm saying this because if you look up the job pages on Google, one of their common requirements seem to be coding skills in Python.For those who have never heard of Python, it's an interpreted programming language similar to Perl in many ways, except it's more light weight, and in most circumstances, the code itself is a _lot_ easier to read. It's an ideal example of those simple-but-powerful languages.Yahoo uses MySQL for storing their databases, which run into tetrabytes. Yahoo also uses Perl and Python to a large extent to operate, and perhaps C/C++ to some extent.It's hard to know what technology goes into making these sites unless you know some programmer who actually works there... I guess some of that information may even be classified (I mean trade secret material... although I couldn't be too sure). HTH,Cheers.

Yahoo's going a bit crazy with the encrypted long URLs... lol do they think they might get hacked if people know their programming language? (Although it might be true)

wow... i'm in uni right now and i'm learning c++ from scratch. really basic stuff like changing form colours and simple arrays etc. the thing is, i never thought the programming language was used for online content. i only thought of it to be a coding language for physical applications.now that u say websites are built using it i'm pretty stumped. i always thought languages were made for web or applications alone... hahah this topic really set things straight. thanks for the information guys.

All of these companies use different languages for different purposes. The search engines do not use the same languages to serve web-based data that they do to crawl sites, for instance. Google, for example, uses Python and C/C++ for their backbone crawling systems; Yahoo! uses a heavily modified version of Apache and, for certain services, PHP for serving webpages.

There was some website floating around a while back run by a Yahoo! developer, which outlined at least some of the technologies they are using. It's probably not that hard to find out - although I could be wrong, I doubt they would really guard the basic technology they are using (other than, perhaps, Google, who jealously guard everything).

Edited by Spectre (see edit history)

Yahoo is the largest PHP powered website in the world, according to facebook.com's jobs section (which is the second largest PHP site, facebook also uses MySQL DBs). Also, if you go to yahoo and search their jobs (I did this just in case facebook is wrong) they have several PHP jobs up for grabs.-Corey

Ebay.com

surely cgi

Amazon.com

nobody can find it

Msn.com

ASP.net (eg:http://www.bing.com/
results.aspx?q=asp&geovar=en-US&FORM=REDIR)

Yahoo.com

surely ajax (javacript+xml+any sever side)

Google.com

surely ajax (javacript+xml+any sever side)

Edited by mahirharoon (see edit history)