xisto Community
M6NEN

Highly professional, yet totally free

Since a prominent member of this community is into music recording (as I found out yesterday), I thought I'd share this here:

There is a music production program, caled Cakewalk, it also became known as Sonar, which used to sell for a lot of money.

It is a professional sequencer with a 64-bit Mix Engine, VST and VST3 compatible, runs on all Windows platforms from Windows 7 onwards (64-bit only).

The program comes with high quality studio effects, a range of instruments, and of course, you can add your own effects and instruments as you wish.

It allows you to create an unlimited number of tracks (your PC allowing, of course), MIDI and Audio.

In a nutshell, Cakewalk by Bandlab (more on this later) allows you to Compose (it has several creative songwriting tools, and, as mentioned before, instruments), Record (it is a sequencer, after all), Edit (fix your mistakes, manipulate pitch, time and the other bits of your recording), Mix (to achieve clear, professional studio quality recordingsand clear, dynamic mixes with the built-in advanced mixing tools), Master (polish your mixes with the brilliant mastering tools) and Share (This is one of the very interesting bits too).

About the sharing bit: the full name of the program is Cakewalk by Bandlab, now, Bandlab is a Music Community where people can upload their music, exchange ideas, do FREE online mastering of their tracks, promote their tracks and so much more.

Their is a special little desktop prgram that does all the uploading etc. for you and also shows you when there are updates to the Bandlab program itself or to Cakewalk.

All this is completely and absolutely free!

Bandlab can be found here: https://www.bandlab.com and Cakewalk here: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Highly reccomended for composers, producers, etc. amateur and professional alike. Go check it out.

Something else just came to mind.

Something I forgot to mention in the original post (My memory is a bit similar to a Swiss cheese, with big holes in it, that is, only Emmethal has holes that stop at the end. :D)

The aforementioned prominent member of this forum let me hear some of his creations, and in that respect I think Cakewalk for Bandlab would be just the thing for him.

What I forgot to talk about is that, apart from being a 100% competent and professional MIDI and AUDIO sequencer, it also gives you lots and lots of loops and samples, boths audio and MIDI, which you can get through the Bandlab Assistant.

All that has to be done there is click on "Sounds" at the top and you will have access to lots and lots of loops, most of them free.

Check these out and you will have a wealth there to start work with dragging and dropping.

And in Cakewalk itself, there are loads of synthy sounds and drumpacks present in case you want to experiment yourself.

I work in a different way with programs such as this (mostly live instrumental and vocal recording), but for the member here, it would be a great opportunity to start conjuring with the loops.

If I want to make progressive trance music, What should I install?

Cakewalk : Fueled by over 30 years in the relentless pursuit of innovation, Cakewalk by BandLab is the new standard for the modern recording studio.

Bandlab :  BandLab is the easy-to-use, all-in-one, social music creation platform.

The actual sequencing program is Cakewalk.

But I am not sure you can install Cakewalk without signing up to Bandlab.

But, don't worry, there is no harm in doing that, you don't get lots of emails or newsletters or anything, they leave you alone.

And, as I said before, it is through Bandlab you can download and install lots of audio and MIDI loop packs, so, no problem there.

Bandlab itself looks a bit like Adobe upgrader, a small oblong window that doesn't really bother you, and it is also Bandlab that lets yyou know when there is a Cakewalk update, and, believe you me, they happen regularly.

When there is an update, there will be a green button at the bottom of Bandlab telling you this.

A further advantage is, as a Bandlab member you can upload and promote your music and exchange ideas with others.

Hope that helps.

Yup, I signed up at Bandlab, It looks totally online thing which runs only on Chrome browser currently. Bandlab first downloaded an assistant software which allows you to download cakelab and its addons.

Good stuff, OpaQue.

I didn't know (or didn't remember ?) Bandlab only runs on Google Chrome.

But, yes, it is totally online, it is like a sort of Music Community, like I said, you can upload your work there, exchange ideas, download tracks and much more.

And then comes the time to get your hands on Cakewalk, time to take the plunge for the heavy work.

Maybe a lot to learn, but if you already have some experience with a MIDI/Audio sequencer, a lot of it will not really be new to you.

Have lots of fun with it.