xisto Community
zorba4

The new Windows10 1809 Update

Oh yes, I did.

The first place to look would obviously be the manufacturer of both the OS and the other software.

But, then again, you know Mr. Gates' company, don't you?

They offer you troubleshooters which you run for 15 minutes and which then come up with "Windows could not identify the problem".

Same thing, they offer you solutions to problems, and after you have implemented them either nothing has cahnged, or, nothing has changed and something else has broken along the line.

But, yes, for the sheer fun of it, I did follow the steps they described.

Thank you anyway.

1 hour ago, M6NEN said:

and something else has broken along the line

Ha-ha! That's the main problem, well-known by quality control people. If something happens to go wrong, the tool fixing the problem should not rise a new problem.

Fortunately, this company has a lot of private people who intensively test their software, and quite soon rise all the bugs. And then everybody starts measuring how long each bug will remain! ?

33 minutes ago, yordan said:

By the way, my own problem is still not solved.

Probably have to wait until the next major update, supposed to be available in may ?

Is that the one about the inability to type properly in Microsoft Edge?

This has a bit of a familiar ring to me, and I seem to have a cure in the back of my mind somewhere, but it is getting it out of there that is the real problem.

Also, as you said, we might have to wait until the major update this month, the existing bugs may well have been ironed out, but we will have reason to swear and curse again (most probably :D ) because of the new ones we will find in there.

I tried a refresh of Windows 10, not only did it NOT cure the problem, it also gave me the message that "re-installing Windows 10 had failed".

That was all I got and that will have to do according to the Gates' boys.

Well, let's wait and see what other (unpleasant) surprises the Seattle gang will have in store for us in the very near future.

2 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

Is that the one about the inability to type properly in Microsoft Edge?

Yes, precisely.

I must confess that I don't really feel this as a real problem, because I usually don't use Microsoft edge, except when another software needs an answer having to be entered in a "edge-like" window. In that case, the workaround is to simply type "ctfmon" in a cmd command-line window :)

33 minutes ago, yordan said:

Yes, precisely.

I must confess that I don't really feel this as a real problem, because I usually don't use Microsoft edge, except when another software needs an answer having to be entered in a "edge-like" window. In that case, the workaround is to simply type "ctfmon" in a cmd command-line window :)

Well, I don't use all that doodoo ? neither.

But I am just curious what will happen when we get the new major update.

I guess it will be a laugh a minute again.

12 hours ago, M6NEN said:

guess it will be a laugh a minute again.

It will be a laugh if it occurs on a test system, just for fun.

It will not if it happens on your home computer, during the night without any advice.

Yes, too right, Yordan.

However, watch the topic I will be posting next, just a warning to everyone. :(

In another topic here, we have been extensively talking about the Windows 10 1809.

They are soon expecting version 1903, which is supposed to be "the best and most stable version ever".

However, on Tuesday (today), a patch came out (not the new version, just a patch), which, again, can cause you a lot of headache and misery.

I posted this just to warn you and to give you a way to solve the problem should you download (or have downloaded) the patch.

If you run into problems, just check out this video and have a life without worries again.

Hope I have helped people with this.

To the others: Please wait with downloading this patch for now.

There is further information about this in the video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-qBqegyzvY

Edited by M6NEN (see edit history)

OK,

I see this is working now.

I have been despeately trying to post this for quite some time, but the forum just wouldn't have it.

I have been told the forum has been updated now, and it seems to have worked.

Thanks, Opaque.

Well, as far as I can see now (that is just my two cents, though), the 1903 seems to have been fixed now.

However :D , I have tried to download and install it a few times today, and gues what?

The update keeps failing. ?

Anyway, I will be patient and take things as they come, we'll see what happens, won't we?

Let's say Microsoft can be a bit "unpredictable".

On 6/9/2019 at 1:42 AM, M6NEN said:

The update keeps failing.

Could you please tell us a little bit more about this story? How did you perform the update and how did it fail ? Did you click the update part in the windows admin tool and the update started and failed?

Or did you download the iso from Microsoft, burn the DVD, mounted the DVD and clicked "update", and it failed?

Or did a fresh install of the 1903 version fail?

1 hour ago, yordan said:

Could you please tell us a little bit more about this story? How did you perform the update and how did it fail ? Did you click the update part in the windows admin tool and the update started and failed?

Or did you download the iso from Microsoft, burn the DVD, mounted the DVD and clicked "update", and it failed?

Or did a fresh install of the 1903 version fail?

OK,

Fairly simple.

I just used the well-known Windows Update feature.

When I did, all went well with "Getting things ready" and partly "Downloading" but then I got one of the (in)famous 08x0..... errors, a few different ones.

However, now it has worked, but I must admit, I don't see any huge differences really, although it seems to run smoothly, no major (or any other, for that matter) problems encountered (yet).

I did read that they withheld it for a while because of a serious bug, though (see a previous post).

Anyway, so far, so good, although I wonder if it was worth the effort.