xisto Community
zorba4

The new Windows10 1809 Update

Did you install the new Windows 10 1809 update ? It's known being bugged, but the bugs are told to be fixed. Anyhow, for home user,  there seem to be no way to refuse the current update.

Yes, it has been told destroying private documents, let's hope that this issue has really been fixed now. And of course, don't forget to backup your text and photo documents on an external removable device, just in case...

Yes, it looks like the bugs have been roned out now.

I rolled back to 1803 in October, but thank goodness, none of my existing files were destroyed or wiped out.

I did have a few issues with it, though.

The main issue I experienced was with the app "Your Phone" where you can see and process your pictures from you Android (and probably IPhone, not sure) directly on your Windows PC/laptop and where you can also receive and reply to your SMSes diretly on your PC or laptop.

When I installed 1809 previously I said "Wow, what a great app that is", which it was, had it not been for the fact that nobody could ring my Smartphone anymore.

I have been using the updated version for about two weeks now, and the app now works as it should, and to be honest, I wouldn't be without it, and, furthermore, I have not experienced any bugs in the new Windows 10 so far (touch wood);.

As I mentioned earlier, I installed it when it came out (October 2018 that was).

However, I hadn't read the bug warnings yet, my PC automatically told me about a new update to the OS, so I got it in.

Fortunately, I did not have any of the serious problems that seemed to exist, namely the "Fall Update" wiping big chunks of Windows 10 off your hard drive.

I read about those when I rolled it back because of the very inetresting "Your Phone" app, which stopped anyone from phoning me on my mobile.

However, that is working fine now, and I did some reading (I knew that Microsoft themselves had pulled the update off the net eventually), and then I saw the update was back and had been fixed.

I am using it now, and have had no problems so far (Not even with Your Phone).

Touch wood, I would say.

OpaQue, let us know how you get on, please.

2 hours ago, yordan said:

And the result is....

Very curious indeed to hear how others are doing with this OS.

Please let us have your impressions about the 1809 update, yordan.

No problem with the migration to 1809. Didn't experience the data loss previously mentioned on some forums.

I didn't even see the difference, except a noticeable slowdown, probably due to all the new features I don't use but which of course need cpu and network power.

3 hours ago, yordan said:

No problem with the migration to 1809. Didn't experience the data loss previously mentioned on some forums.

No, that issue is gone now, after MS pulled the update offline and then put it back, although I never experienced that.

I did have some other issues, though.

I didn't even see the difference, except a noticeable slowdown, probably due to all the new features I don't use but which of course need cpu and network power.

Even the slowdown I haven't had, or the increased CPU and network power increase, however, you are right, any OS update is always going to contain things you don't need or use.

I did, however, notice a difference in a few apps that were added which were a godsend to me, like Your Phone eliminates the need and discomfort of using bluetooth for transferring pictures from your mobile phone to your PC/laptop quickly.

At the moment I see no reason to go back to the previous version, so I am going to leave this update in place.

Finally I see the difference. I have a keyboard problem.

The Cortana search does not work any more, I can click in the "search" box, it says "type your question here", but I cannot type inside the searchbox.

Of course I googled a little bit, and the answer was "apply the updates"! However, the problem occurred precisely after applying the update!

And I guess it's a USB keyboard driver problem. Unfortunately, today all the keyboards are USB keyboards!

That's strange.

About Cortana, did you set the use of Cortana to "on" during the setup screens?

It is easy to click no by mistake.

About the USB keyboard I am not so sure, that is a problem I did not come across while doing the update.

What does the device manager show?

(Hopefully you are able to get into it).

This only goes to show that not two PCs/laptops are the same when it comes to installing or upgrading Windows.

I did not have a single problem when doing the upgrade.

28 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

What does the device manager show?

The device manager says "correct".

However, maybe it's not a keyboard problem. Some people I google said they solved their problem when taking another mouse. So, mouse and keyboard are not independant ?