xisto Community
Belinda

The Dog Observer

Dog observer

The television show is called: 'The Dog Whisperer'. The name of the show indicates in a sort of way, that the teacher whispers with the dog he educates. In the show the teacher doesn't whisper with dogs at all. The teacher shows two other activities. Most of all he can be called a dog observer. And the second obvious way of his behaviour contains of taking a lot of time. In a certain way he has a lot of patience.

The statements in this opening post are founded on watching the television show. And the statements in this post are opinions based on the program.

The main action of the teacher is the observation of the dog. He watches very closely the behaviour of the dog. It seems he tries to get information about the state of the mind of the dog from looking at small details.

The second peculiar way of behaviour is that the teacher shows a lot of patience. The teacher called 'The Dog Whisperer' uses a lot of time to let the dog get used to a difference in a situation. During this time the teacher watches the dog very closely almost every second. It seems he observes the dog to notice the way the dog reacts. And it seems he acts this way so the teacher can be aware of each change in the behaviour of the dog.

Links

The website of the teacher of the television show:

https://www.cesarsway.com/

Wikipedia about the show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Whisperer_with_Cesar_Millan

Episodes:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/dog-whisperer/episode-guide/

The teacher and dogs:

Posted Image

One episode:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Belinda (see edit history)

And what do you personally think about this TV show? What is your opinion? Do you like it?

I love dogs, I love TV, however what you are telling does not make me want to see that show. Ghost whisperer yes, dog whisperer no! :D

I've seen the show and it's pretty interesting, but simple. Essentially, it is a show on training dogs. For example, one person had a problem with their dog repetitiously jumping in the pool, so he came and trained the dog not to jump in the pool. Another person had a problem with their dog growling at their guest, so he came and trained the dog how not to growl. It's a great show for people who have or love dogs. It's pretty easy to pick up on some of his techniques and try them on your own pets, so the show provides a little more than just an entertainment value.

Cesar is a popular dog trainer, and I'm sure he has done a lot of good for a lot of dogs. I've never actually even seen his show personally. I have heard a lot of serious criticism about him from the folks that call themselves force free trainers. Those folks have some good ideas too, but personally I think they are a bit over the top. They don't think you should even raise your voice to your dog! Simple things like the old stand by method of teaching sit are also a no no. That is, putting your hand on your dogs hind quarters and pushing him down to a sitting position while saying sit. They consider that using force. And God forbid don't ever mention a choke or prong collar to one of them, they will crucify you on the spot. They kind of amaze me with the huge unfailing amount of compassion they show for dogs but when it comes to humans they have none what so ever.

The best thing for training dogs is patience, common sense and a good balance of different schools of thought. When people ask me to recommend a book on dog training, I always tell them to read several books, not just one. What works perfectly for one dog will have no effect on another. You have to be open to new ideas and methods and be willing to try any number of different things.

I know that you should not force a dog. If I am walking with my dog, if he wants to go rightwards I say "no, left" and he goes left. If he wants to go rightwards and I try to force him, he is too strong, I will not be successful. So the dog always has to do what I want, I should never need to force him.

Except if there is a cat crossing, I can't prevent him from running.

Ok, so lets say your dog is bigger and stronger than you.  And while you are out walking he decides to chase a cat. How do you stop him?  Do you allow him to chase the cat, possibly kill it, or even worse, chase the cat and run out in front of a car and get himself killed? Sometimes it is in the dogs best interest to force them to do something they don't want to do. 

OK, in case of emergency, there is a word my dog learned : STOP!

Sometimes it works. Fortunately most of the cats walk far away from my home, so there was no know occasion of catching a cat :D

10 hours ago, goahead said:

This may be an old thread, but I was an avid fan of Cesar. But after learning some things about the series, it made me very disappointed.

Very disapointed but still partly fan ?

Oh yeah, that's a good topic theme! I think that dogs vs cats have often very different behaviors. Dogs sometimes love playing with cats, and some cats love playing with dogs. However, some cats are afraid of dogs, and don't let them come near. And some dogs love chasing cats, trying to eat them!

So, yes, please tell us if you have a cat and a dog at home, and tell us how they behave!

The best part about that show was the South Park parody. They did a whole episode on it. It was hilarious lol. They just replaced the dog or a pet with Eric Cartman.