xisto Community
yordan

Babyftp, A Nice Standalone Ftp Server

I often want do add some files on a friend's computer, and and don't want to mmodify his operationg system.

For instance, on Microsoft Windows systems I don't want to add a user, or add a software or share a folder.

But I would like to add some files I have on my PC, on my tablet or on my android phone, without having to first transfer them on a removable media.

Then I found babyftp, I found it very nice, small and useful.

You get it from here :

http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html/baby_ftp_server.html

It's a standalone software, you put it somewhere on your friend's PC, when you don't want it any more you simply remove the folder.

You start it, change the home directory (I wanted c:\brol ) and you can connect as an anonymous user ( username anonymous, choose your password).

You see a full real time log, look at that :

Posted Image

On my system, I saw the user named "anonymous" with the password "brol" connecting from the android phone, and put the "yordan.docx" text.

It's probably very dangerous, having an anonymous connection allowed.

However, it's for a very short time, as soon as I finish putting/getting my files I check that nobody else did something else, and I stop the server and remove the software.

What do you think about that? How are you working in that situation, temporary needing some files?

Regards

Yordan

Filezilla has also a nice FTP server.... How would you compare babyFTP with Filezilla..

And one more thing: I have read on a number of places that FTP is not a secure way of sharing files... Can you elaborate this a bit and and if this is true, what would be a secure way..??

Filezilla has also a nice FTP server.... How would you compare babyFTP with Filezilla..

And one more thing: I have read on a number of places that FTP is not a secure way of sharing files... Can you elaborate this a bit and and if this is true, what would be a secure way..??

Filezilla has to be installed. It writes things in the Windows Registry. When you don't want it any more, you have to uninstall it, hoping that this will leave the registry clean.

babiftp doesn't have to be installed, you unpzip the file, run it, and when you finish you remove it and the system is left clean. It's the ideal way for a temporary need.

Precisely. Working on a friend's PC and wanting to keep it unmodified.

When a fried has a problem on his PC, I try to repair it without modifying it to much. Adding extra software installations will make the problem even more complicated instead of repairing it.

there's portable version of Filezilla which can run from a thumbstick

This is a filezilla portable client version. There is no filezilla portable Server version. I needed a portable server, in order to make some files reachable from client pc's.