xisto Community
manuleka

Steam On Linux

Anyone here using Steam for gaming on their Linux installation? How are they with Gamepads?

thinking of trying it out but noticed that Ubuntu 12.10 is the supported one i think...

Anyone using LinuxMint 15 with Steam?

If gaming comes to linux then windows is surely doomed... Especially with the appearance of Distros like Ubuntu 13 and Linux Mint 15 which are so easy to use, Linux will surely get into the mainstream... And all the monoply of the big tech giants going on in the background, I don't think gamin is going to be good on linux anytime soon... :(

Wow!

seems very interesting...

But in my previous post, I wanted to compare gaming on a linux PC and Gaming on a windows PC (the emphasis being on PC). Dedicated consoles are good but they are more commonly used by gamers who take their gaming seriously (at least in my country).. Normally people use their PC for occasional gaming. And it is these people that make the masses.

So if a common Linux OS (say ubuntu) somehow get the same gaming support as Windows, then I am pretty sure that Linux will see many new Users..

I know a lot of people using their Windows PC first for gaming, secondly for text processing, and third for surfing on the web.

And if you have a look at each new game arriving on the market, you will probably see the company advertising first for the console, secondly for Windows PC, and probably they will forget porting on Linux.

Simply because a lot of family PC's are nowadays sold with Microsoft Windows installed, and need almost nothing to be done by a child for installing a game from the CD reader.

I know a lot of people using their Windows PC first for gaming, secondly for text processing, and third for surfing on the web.

And if you have a look at each new game arriving on the market, you will probably see the company advertising first for the console, secondly for Windows PC, and probably they will forget porting on Linux.

Simply because a lot of family PC's are nowadays sold with Microsoft Windows installed, and need almost nothing to be done by a child for installing a game from the CD reader

http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/

hopefully steam will help increase game development for Linux

Edited by manuleka (see edit history)