xisto Community
yordan

A Solar Laptop!

What do you think about this ?

Have a look here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

These guys, the Wewi firm, made a laptop working with only solar energy !

This is wonderful for some countries I went, where there is a lot of sun, and very few electricity!

And it's quite not a ridiculous device :2 to 4 gigs DDR3 Kingston memory, Intel Atom D2500 core duo @1.8 Ghz, and a Seagate 320 gigs disk!

Moreover, it's submersible, which seems normal if you leave it outdoors while charging!

The only thing some people could not appreciate : the price, about 400 $

WOw.... Looks great too...

I wonder how much battery time it would give once fully charged, and whether it needs to be placed directly in the sunglight (outdoors) for recharging or it can also use the reflected rays.

WOw.... Looks great too...

I wonder how much battery time it would give once fully charged,

Have a look at the website I mentionned, they claim it will work all night long. And also see the way the solar cells are placed, they are quite a lot.

There is alos a device called Portable Solar Charger. As mentioned here, here and here. So basically this device has a solar panel and a battery. The solar panel generates electricity and stores it in the battery. The battery then can supply the current to a whole range of devices inlcuding laptops, mobile phones, cameras etc.

In my opinion this would be a better solution because you don't literally have to sit in the sun to get your laptop charged. You just have to keep this charger in the sun and the when it is charged you can bring it in the shade to charge-up your laptop. Or you can have long connecting wires so you would be free of this hassle of bringing the charger in and out.

Another advantage is that you get the liberty of charging a number of devices. When solar power is needed, in most cases it won't be needed only for the laptop and this is where this type of device saves your as*.

The only downside of this device that I can think of is its price. Its too expensive ($300). For this much money, you can buy the complete solar laptop mentioned above. So in my opinion it all comes down to your personal choice and your needs.... :D

:D

I am assuming that you agree with me in that these chargers can prove more useful (because of the flexibility they provide) as compared a laptop with built-in solar panel. However, the prices for these things are also very high. So there comes the doubt.

Is the flexibility worth the extra money ???

What do you thing @yordan....

From the mobility point of view, I know some people who have to work with their laptop in places where there is no electric power for a standard charger. So, for their mobility point of view, having the solar cell directly on the PC is the best choice, they stay in some sunny part of the house and they can charge their PC.And the solar cell being par of the PC makes that you will not forget it when you go out from your office or from a friend's house.