xisto Community
icmmovers

How To Change The Bios..

What do you mean by "I want to change the bios"?

Do you mean I want to change one parameter in the bios?

Or do you mean "I want to replace the bios (Basic Input Output System)" by a new one?

The first version is rather simple, while booting you press the Attention Key (probable F2 or Del) and you will reach the bios system settings, usually we go there for switching from "boot from CD" to "boot from Hard disk"

The second version is more touchy, you will probably have to extract the bios chip and replace it by the new chip provided by you laptop maufacturer.

I may get a little off-topic here but I would really like to ask that how much different (or similar) are the BIOS of a computer and Firmware of a peripheral device.

What made me post this question here is that there are methods by which one can change the firmware of a device, which is supposed to be present on a "READ-ONLY" chip. So if Firmware is something like a very minimal BIOS, (I have a strange feeling that it my assumption might be true), than may be its possible to flash a different BIOS onto a computer.

And I am pretty sure to say that the chip that stores BIOS, does actually allow some changes to take place. for instance you can update the bios of your computer. And updating definitely means that some changes are made and maybe some new additions as well...

By the way, remember the motherboard firmware is the minimum device you need. So, it's the last thing you should touch, unless expressly stated by your computer manufacturer :D

So after checking a few pages on the link google search link provided by @yordan and then performing some of my own searches, I came to the conclusion that a different BIOS can be flashed to the motherboard, However, it has a very high risk of bricking the board. So it is better to stay away from it unless you surely and explicitly know what you are doing exactly....