xisto Community
manuleka

Use Of Language Packs Windows 7

I guess that if you want to read greek texts with Microsoft word, for instance, you will have to install the language pack. Try goggling concerning "add greek keyboard on a US PC"

ok... i was just wondering because when i ran update check for my fresh Windows install a 2GB worth of language packs showed up which i opted off... was wondering if it does have some significant use other than just transforming Windows to the particular languages

Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

I think that it even does not transform Windows to the particular language : an English Windows will probably not shift to a Spanish one.

aah i see... i thought it would become a spanish version... i have seen a french version of MS Office on one of my friends PC, it was a pain trying to figure-out how to reverse it, found out later that somehow they installed a French MS Office Suite... hehe weird
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

That's right. The trick is to install an English MS Office suite, in order to keep using the layout you are familiar with. Then, you will need to read Spanish texts from your Spanish cousins, or write Greek texts for your Greek friends. Then you will have to add new keyboard descriptions, I think this is the aim for these Windows language addons.

I think that it even does not transform Windows to the particular language : an English Windows will probably not shift to a Spanish one.

Actually it does, for Windows 8 anyways. The language pack at the top of the list is the one that Windows is displayed in. However, there may still be things displayed not under that language, if the Regional Settings are set differently. For instance, when I choose French (Canada) as the active language pack on my computer, sometimes dates will still show in English (i.e. "Thursday" instead of "jeudi") because the regional settings are in English (Canada).

Language packs are available for Windows 8 (both standard and pro), as well as Windows 7 Ultimate and perhaps Business.