xisto Community
manuleka

Hybrid Vs Ssd Vs Standard

Anyone here using a Hybrid hard drive? I'm looking at grabbing an SSD for a machine but the price is still quite high, so i'm wondering how good is a Hybrid hard drive?cheers for any comments

I have never used an SSD myself, but based on the talks and reviews online, I am pretty sure that these things do improve performance significantly. Based on my research, there are just 2 concerns about SSDs. 1. High Price and 2. Life SpanI would have changed my laptop's hard drive for an SSD but (as you have mentioned), the price is still quite high. And combine that with the fear of loosing the valuable storage space with passing time, one has to think seriously before making the move.But as has happened throughout the history of computer industry, the prices will drop and the quality will improve. So I have made the decision that at least for my current laptop, I won't go for an SSD. I may make the move when my laptop is dead (get a new laptop with an SSD) or the SSD technology takes some huge leap forward.I don't know much about the comparison of performance and life span between the hybrids and pure SSDs so maybe someone else can throw their insight on the subject.

I loved this article describing the hybrid disk. Shows how a hybrid disk looks like a conventional disk with a 8 gig SSD acting as a smart cache, with a smart firmware seeing which small files are frequently used and should be put on this cache for faster access.

Nice article. Thanks for the share @yordan.There wasn't much talk about the lifespan of an SSD (or a hybrid for that matter). When got interested in buying an SSD quite a while ago, I remember that lifespan was discussed as one of the major issues.So can you point me to some good research done on the life span of an SSD

I loved this article describing the hybrid disk. Shows how a hybrid disk looks like a conventional disk with a 8 gig SSD acting as a smart cache, with a smart firmware seeing which small files are frequently used and should be put on this cache for faster access.

shot yordan... nice article

Nice article. Thanks for the share @yordan.

There wasn't much talk about the lifespan of an SSD (or a hybrid for that matter). When got interested in buying an SSD quite a while ago, I remember that lifespan was discussed as one of the major issues.

So can you point me to some good research done on the life span of an SSD

as for lifespan, i haven't heard of issues with the life span of SSD (i have a few friends who uses them)... but then they are still quite new though, time will tell... my main concern at the moment is the price

here in NZ i can get a 2 Terabyte drive (or 1~1.5 Terabyte Hybrid) for the price of a 120GB SSD

as for lifespan, i haven't heard of issues with the life span of SSD (i have a few friends who uses them)... but then they are still quite new though, time will tell... my main concern at the moment is the price

Maybe I misunderstood something when I did my little research in the past... What about the decreasing capacity of the SSD drive with time... i.e a 125 GB SSD might not be able to hold 125 GB data after two years.. Is this true or just......... B)

here in NZ i can get a 2 Terabyte drive (or 1~1.5 Terabyte Hybrid) for the price of a 120GB SSD

How much of the hard drive space is actually used by you... In my case, I have a 500 gigs hard drive with 4 partitions. Three ntfs and one ext4. I have about 350 gigs of data on my drive but most of it is seldom used by me. I won't be bothered much if this data would have been placed in an external drive.

Only about 80 gigs of hard drive space is actively used in my case... what about you ???

i'm currently using a 750GB 3.5" 7200rpm and 250GB 2.5" 5400rpmWindows 7 has 5x100GB+ ntfs partitions and Linux has 2x100GB+I mostly use Windows so those partitions are getting 70%+ filled