xisto Community
manuleka

Viewing Windows 7 Hickups

so I notice that sometimes when I power on my PC, Windows start loading up then freezes (before going into the login part), is there a way of viewing Windows issues like these which happens during loading time? When a program crashes I usually reside to Event viewer for details on the crash...

manuleka, I couldn't understand what do you want say. Can you please capture that by your camera and upload it here. This would help us to understand what it shows when it freezes, is there any black screen or anything else.

manuleka, I couldn't understand what do you want say. Can you please capture that by your camera and upload it here. This would help us to understand what it shows when it freezes, is there any black screen or anything else.

When the loading/bootup screen comes up on Windows (at Startup after POST and before login screen appears) the screen seems to load forever... I tried waiting by leaving the PC for an hour one time and ended up cold resetting...

Oh, I guess that it's the standard "Windows is starting" screen, simply lasting several hours instead of lasting a couple of seconds.

hehe it doesn't happen often but it has happened to me more than once in the last 3 days

I don't think there's a way to show what Windows is actually loading in the background. Maybe try pressing 'ESC' or 'TAB' during it and see if anything shows up, but I think it's suppose to hide all the details.The slow down could be an issue with anything that it's loading, including drivers, an installation that's gone bad, etc. Anything that is going to fail in the loading process will slow it down due to timeout issues or silent crashes.If you start up in safe mode, you will see the basic items that are loading and may even discover which one is taking a long time to load. If this loads quickly then it's something else that Windows is trying to load that is not part of it's own loading process.Cheers,MC

@mastercomputer : it's not concerning a load in the background.It's before entering Windows, during the first splash screen saying "starting windows". I'm pretty sure it's during the first graphic display reset, which cannot be performed, probably because of a system file locked somewhere by something.I also have this once or twice a week. The problem is logged somewhere, that's why after a cold restart I often have a prompt saying something like "you had a problem during boot time, click here if you allow us to solve the problem", you click, the system connects to Microsoft, runs a little bit, and says "we could not fix your problem, click here" and we are redirected to Nvidia site.

@mastercomputer : it's not concerning a load in the background.It's before entering Windows, during the first splash screen saying "starting windows". I'm pretty sure it's during the first graphic display reset, which cannot be performed, probably because of a system file locked somewhere by something.
I also have this once or twice a week. The problem is logged somewhere, that's why after a cold restart I often have a prompt saying something like "you had a problem during boot time, click here if you allow us to solve the problem", you click, the system connects to Microsoft, runs a little bit, and says "we could not fix your problem, click here" and we are redirected to Nvidia site.

Microsoft fixing help doesn't really help me much when i get issues hehe...
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

@mastercomputer : it's not concerning a load in the background.It's before entering Windows, during the first splash screen saying "starting windows". I'm pretty sure it's during the first graphic display reset, which cannot be performed, probably because of a system file locked somewhere by something.
I also have this once or twice a week. The problem is logged somewhere, that's why after a cold restart I often have a prompt saying something like "you had a problem during boot time, click here if you allow us to solve the problem", you click, the system connects to Microsoft, runs a little bit, and says "we could not fix your problem, click here" and we are redirected to Nvidia site.

What I meant was the splash screen that happens after the BIOS POST and when the bootloader just starts, where you can get a progress splash screen or really just a splash screen saying Windows is loading. I call this the operating system's initialisation screen. Usually behind this screen we have all the usual drivers for understanding your system being loaded, the kernel especially and then like your graphics, network and file system drivers. These are things that take over from the BIOS drivers.

The splash screen here, basically is to obscure you from seeing what is being loaded, however some programs/drivers you install can also be ran at this time. If it hangs here, usually it's something that was required that isn't being loaded. Though, "being required" is not usually the case, it's just a faulty install. Other issues that can cause this is faulty memory/failing hard drive which can also be hard to diagnose, but it usually happens at the same time or not long after it. In which case, it's an area in the memory/hard drive that is bad.

Linux based operating systems have a similar screen but they also allow you to see what is being loaded behind the scene by just pressing 'ESC' before you reach your login screen. Then you can see whether anything that is being initialised started OK or FAILED. If something that FAILED is necessary, it'll most likely raise a Kernel panic.

Cheers,

MC

I just want to add that while I was looking at the second hand computer that was running Windows XP, I tried booting it up and it seemed to hang at the Windows is starting screen, but before this there was a little flicker, and if you've been around computers long enough like me and you've seen people try to hide windows etc, using ALT+TAB it had the same effect. So I pressed ALT+TAB and low and behold, an error message suggesting something about the domain it tried logging onto did not exist. So it was set up for a network and wasn't going to show the login screen until something was done about that dialog.If that error message actually went above the loading screen, it would have been a simple click on OK or Cancel but instead it hid the dialog and anyone who wasn't watching it would have thought it had stopped. As soon as you clicked on an action to take, the Login Screen showed up instantly.The strange things I've seen in Windows... it really does make me glad I converted to Linux but on the other side, I'm losing a lot of Windows knowledge to help others with.Cheers,MC

I don't believe you can but what you can do is try to start in safe mode and then when you login from there you can uncheck all the processes that would be loaded. I am behind the times with Windows but they use to have a program called msconfig which allowed you to disable a lot of the starting processes. Usually you'll disable everything here, try to start windows normally and then slowly enable a few of them back from msconfig and keep repeating this process until you encounter the problem again.This way you should have pinpointed where the error possibly lies with the offending program.Cheers,MC

I don't believe you can but what you can do is try to start in safe mode and then when you login from there you can uncheck all the processes that would be loaded. I am behind the times with Windows but they use to have a program called msconfig which allowed you to disable a lot of the starting processes. Usually you'll disable everything here, try to start windows normally and then slowly enable a few of them back from msconfig and keep repeating this process until you encounter the problem again.
This way you should have pinpointed where the error possibly lies with the offending program.

Cheers,

MC

msconfig still exist in Windows 7 i believe