xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Remotely Controlling A Computer - Wi-Fi

I am trying to remotely control a computer over the Internet and it worked fine until the Wi-Fi connection disconnected. Here's the current setup:The computer is set in the BIOS to automatically power on at a certain time and there's a Task Scheduler event to shut down the computer at a certain time. Upon startup, the user logs in and automatically connects to the network. Obviously this did not happen as the computer is currently offline (I have verified that the computer still continues the power up/shut down cycle daily.)I can use LogMeIn to remotely access the computer, or by directly connecting to the IP address of the router through VNC (the router is set up to do port forwarding). I also have remote control of the computer directly connected to the router via LogMeIn.There isn't anything plugged into the computer except for the wireless network adapter and a keyboard. It is running Windows XP Home Edition.Is there anything I can do from here to reconnect me to the computer? I don't have physical access to the machine for another several weeks, and if there's nothing I can do then I might as well tell someone to shut off the power bar to the computer to save energy.

I don't really understand your problem. First you say you don't have access but then you say you can use LogMeIn to connect to the computer . :blink:

I am trying to remotely control a computer over the Internet and it worked fine until the Wi-Fi connection disconnected.

your problem is right there on sentence one... you won't be able to remotely connect if there is no link (physical or wireless)

my suggestions:
1. try connecting to the router and do a soft reset - if the wireless connection issue is from the router then this might help re-establish it
2. try getting someone at the location of the remote device to give it a reboot (or check why the wireless connection has been dropped)

best of luck

I don't really understand your problem. First you say you don't have access but then you say you can use LogMeIn to connect to the computer . :blink:

I can use LogMeIn to connect to another computer on the same network. That computer happens to be on a wired connection to the router.

your problem is right there on sentence one... you won't be able to remotely connect if there is no link (physical or wireless)
my suggestions:
1. try connecting to the router and do a soft reset - if the wireless connection issue is from the router then this might help re-establish it
2. try getting someone at the location of the remote device to give it a reboot (or check why the wireless connection has been dropped)

best of luck

I have already tried rebooting the router through the computer that I am able to connect to using LogMeIn. The router doesn't show the device as connected unfortunately. The person that has physical access to the computer does verify that the computer is booting properly (8 AM startup as programmed into the BIOS and 8 PM shutdown as programmed into Windows Task Scheduler). There is only a keyboard connected to the computer at the remote location if I remember correctly, no output display device, so that isn't too helpful.

I can use LogMeIn to connect to another computer on the same network. That computer happens to be on a wired connection to the router.

I have already tried rebooting the router through the computer that I am able to connect to using LogMeIn. The router doesn't show the device as connected unfortunately. The person that has physical access to the computer does verify that the computer is booting properly (8 AM startup as programmed into the BIOS and 8 PM shutdown as programmed into Windows Task Scheduler). There is only a keyboard connected to the computer at the remote location if I remember correctly, no output display device, so that isn't too helpful.

is the router still accessible from its end, for instance - is there any other devices connected to the router that you can connect to through the router?

is the router still accessible from its end, for instance - is there any other devices connected to the router that you can connect to through the router?

Yes, it is. I can connect to another computer that has a wired connection to the router. As I said, I have already tried rebooting the router with no success.

Yes, it is. I can connect to another computer that has a wired connection to the router. As I said, I have already tried rebooting the router with no success.

that's weird, most probably a wireless connection issue... hard to tell, you best probably be at location to do some on-site diagnostic processes

And next time, do not forget to install vnc on this server, so you can reach it from another computer in your home network.

I do have VNC Server on the computer, in fact the router is configured to forward the VNC port to that computer. But even within the home network, I cannot access the computer using VNC as it is offline.

i'm just asking because you said that the person at the remote location tells you the machine boots up fine, so i'm wondering if he/she can check if the machine can connect to a network

i'm just asking because you said that the person at the remote location tells you the machine boots up fine, so i'm wondering if he/she can check if the machine can connect to a network

They are unable to as there is no monitor attached to that computer. They can tell me the machine is booting up fine because, well, the power light is on for 12 hours of the day.

Ho-Ho, so we don't know if the system is working correctly. We can't know if the system is working correctly or if it is showing a blue screen.Does "net view" from the working computer show this one up?Or if it has a fixed IP address, does it ping?Can you see it's mac address on the router?

Ho-Ho, so we don't know if the system is working correctly. We can't know if the system is working correctly or if it is showing a blue screen.Does "net view" from the working computer show this one up?
Or if it has a fixed IP address, does it ping?
Can you see it's mac address on the router?

Nope, the router doesn't show it as a connected device.