xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
H.O.D

Will Google Plus Follow Google Buzz And Wave?

As most of us know, Google Plus has a lot of users. However, most of those users hardly ever use the site. Compare this to Facebook, where more than 50% of the users log in everyday to the site and interact for a long time. Google Plus only has a huge userbase which is largely inactive. But at the same time, it has Google holding the reins. With ideas like Search Plus Your World, Google is trying hard to bring more focus onto Google Plus. The company tried hard to promote Google Buzz and Wave as well, and today both those projects are defunct. Will Google Plus be the next to follow?

I'm not a personal fan of Facebook, and do not use the site a lot. That said, most of my friends are always active on Facebook and everyday I have new apps that I need to block in order to stop getting requests from them. Facebook's success is perhaps really due to the apps on the site, and how they can make friendship seem more fun. But then, Google Plus too has a lot of apps. It hasn't worked out too well for Google Plus. In fact a lot of application developers are pulling out their apps from Plus, due to lack of users. Maybe the only reason Google Plus is failing a lot is that it's trying too hard to imitate Facebook. Also, it did not launch with a lot of features.

Facebook never had all its wonderful features back in 2004. But then it was limited only to universities. By the time it launched to the public in 2006, it had a large database of user feedback, and had introduced many of the features that we are all familiar with today. This is one of the main reasons Facebook is in the leader's position today.Google Plus spent a lot of time in development as well. But unlike Facebook, it did not have a lot of user feedback, and also, it did not launch to the public with many useful features. By the time the new features were introduced, people had already moved away from Google Plus.

What's done is done. Perhaps Google is still trying hard to increase user interaction on Google Plus, but it might be a bit too late. It's not as if the place is a ghost town. There is considerable activity going on; it's just not as large as Facebook. Now the question remains as to where will Google take the website from here. Will it gradually be phased out like Wave and Buzz, or will it continue to exist where it is now, hoping that at some point in the future it will pick up momentum? Whatever seems the case, Facebook doesn't appear to me moving from its top position anytime soon.

I would like to add that I am one of the sinners who joined Google Plus and then turned my back to it, presenting the excuse that there wasn't enough time to spend on the site, whereas i do log into my Facebook account almost everyday. The reason.......... as you say that being on Facebook is definitely more fun than being on any other sites.I feel that besides the fantastic lot of apps on Facebook, the publicity policy that they resorted to has given them the edge. They have constantly kept up with the study of what people actually want from a social networking site and the number of users seem to increase every single day.Regarding the future of Google Plus, the mother company Google has to tighten up, probably a bit of change in the marketing and PR policy would be of help and I sincerely hope that it doesn't face the same fate as Google Buzz and Wave.

People usually follow their friends, the reason I visit facebook once a week and google plus once or twice a month is that much more friends of mine are on facebook, the reason I visited orkut once a half/quarter a year is that I almost had no friends which I know in real life :DI think that still, google plus needs to move forward and continue doing something and try to get better than facebook, especially they could improve mobile version, as facebook mobile version still sucks and have problems.Anyway, I still say that facebook is highly overrated, for new people joining it, it's really hard to understand something and now with a lot of new features on it, which I don't even use, it starts to annoy me, I wish I could remove them more easily :DPeople see facebook on TV, people on the street talk about facebook, it is popular, but when you think about it, it's nothing special, people put website links, video links, write something and put their photo from holidays or just simple photos and you can see what they are doing and they can show how cool they look, it's like a place to show how smart and cool you are to others and your friends which you can't see very often, because you're to busy doing nothing. :)Oh yea, and games which are very addicting and simple where and you spend your time pushing and clicking. People wake up just to log on to facebook at night to play those games, walk their virtual dog and etc. (farm, click on rent houses and etc.) but they are lazy to walk their real dog and are lazy to do anything real :D Personally, I would ban facebook :D People playing facebook games clean their rooms in those games, tidy them perfectly just to get more useless points, but they can't tidy their own rooms in real life and etc. What is more strange, is that those games look so simple as if it would be 1995-1997, why not buy a real game an play it? It's much better, it makes more sense.Google plus could make something to make people more intelligent and smart while being on google plus and not make them some kind of zombies doing nothing. Even though, if using facebook wisely, it can really be a good and useful service. ;)

I stressed on the change in the PR and marketing policies that Google needs to bring about to really give facebook a tough fight, even though the users of facebook are mostly not busy doing something constructive, still they help in keeping the site active and moreover if people feel like sharing something over social media, the first thought is about people, the main reason behind that is the factor of wide reach among the people. Google needs to work out big time on its strategies now.

I think the main problem Google+ has is that its such a late comer to the social media site scene. You have MySpace and Facebook out there, and they have been the dominante forces on the market for so long and people have gotten so used to using them that a new comer to the scene either has to have the ability to slowly take over the scene as and insergent or blast onto the market and take over with a huge marketing campaign.Personally I beleive that google+ may not go away, but I don't see it being a major threat to Facebook anytime soon, heck MySpace is still out there but it is even falling off in popularity as Facebook keeps growing.