xisto Community
manuleka

Testing Out Windows 8 Consumer Preview On Vmware

Great idea! This test will tell us if the current Windows 8 version has the drivers for the vmware ethernet adapters, mouse and displays!Please test this, and keep us informed.I will do the test as soon as I can put my hands on a Winows8 CD distro, because I have a veryyyyyy sloooooow network so I cannot do a network install.

I have not seen the update for the windows 8 ever since the developer preview. I found that developer preview was not much improvement other than the metro UI. But considering the amount of criticism they have got for the metro. I think they will allow users to have multiple desktop that includes classic desktop.Anyway, like yordan i can't test the OS as well because i don't have the disc. Also the thing is that i am moving to linux 100% as much as possible so like you guys i have to test it in virtual machine. looking forward to your results with the OS. I am sure the consumer preview in April has enough updates in it.

Manage to install and run Windows 8 on VMWare Workstation... Metro UI is quite cool (I've never used any of the latest/recent Windows Mobile OS)... Having a bit of dificulty getting use to the layout but i think its quite neat... only thing (for me) i find annoying is having to switch between Tile and on Classic layout just to get to applications, and there is quite a few XBOX related applications on it... i haven't played around with customizing it so that will be the next thing i'd look at...Old classic layout looks very similar to Windows 7 but without the start Orb :( which i think is ridiculous... I also have lagging issue but thats most probably due to hardware limitationsI recommend you all to try it out and have a look for yourself...

I have tested nokia lumia series and the OS on mobile is equally same on the desktop. The things are much harder to do in the metro UI compared to traditional splash screen widgets that you find with apple or android. I think metro was the reason nokia lumia was not much sold and people are moving away from the nokia brand.Coming back to the OS. I think the switching of the desktop and the metro UI is becoming more difficult. I will not be surprised if they remove the classic desktop in future versions of the OS. Another thing is that for the performance you may not find much difference between windows 7 and the windows 8. I am sure they are also going to maintain the application compatibility between the previous versions of OS.

Interesting to note... i almost installed Windows 8 on to my Windows XP... when i searched for a Windows 8 download, i first ended up on a page which initially runs a little tool that analyzes my PC and what softwares i have will be compatible with Windows 8, then reports back and when i click next it started downloading files into my System drive... immediately i canceled it and looked for the page with the ISO

I was just reading the article on windows 8 on ars technica and they put the points which i had in mind and we discussed about it in many other threads. They showed that how the usability is going to be issue with windows 8 in future. I think the switching between the classic and metro desktop is likely to put people away from the windows 8. I am sure many people will downgrade to windows 7 or perhaps XP.I do find the improvement of the USB installer a good one because the usage of one time disc are supposed to be lowered. I mean they are not good for the environment anymore. On the other hand USB can be used over and over and can be used for other purpose as well. USB installer is definitely a good step in the windows 8 though OS is fail before even it is releasing.Another thing, they said that windows 8 is going to be faster in installation time compared to old operating system. Have you observed that on real hard disk. It is hard to notice that on Vmware by the way because we are emulating hardware so it is hard to compute that time accurately.

It is hard to notice that on Vmware by the way because we are emulating hardware so it is hard to compute that time accurately.

You can compare Windows 8 installation time on vmware, to XP installation time on the same vmware machine. Then you can see if it's really faster, even if the absolute value is not reliable.

I don't know if the VMwares virtual emulation can be compared with real speed because the results will be skewed for performance. I mean we use real CPU in case of HD installation. In case of VMware, the resources from the host are shared and that is how things work differently for the disk too. I do get your point of comparing the two under same emulation.I don't think the result fit though, maybe it is just me. On that point, i would like to check vmware and virtualbox results. That way i can even consider virtual machine software like virtualbox and vmware.

Virtual emulation can't be compared to a real installation, its a cheaper and easier way of trying out Windows 8 for me... i don't think installing it on my PC would be practical for me as i will not be using the OS that much other than trying out bits and pieces for now and then probably never touch it after that until the actual release of the OS in June If i will ever upgrade or move away from my current Windows XP Professional, it will be to Windows 8... but for now XP serves the need

I have seen the exact opposite reaction from people. Many people say that if they ever upgrade from windows XP then they are going to upgrade to windows 7 and not windows 8. I know the reason is because microsoft is abandoning the classic desktop and that is going to be a big blow for the windows market. I am sure many people will adopt linux by the time they launch next OS to cover the damage.By the way if i am not wrong then OEM and the consumer release of the windows 8 are supposed to be in august as per their current announcement. I know that they are going to release the final release of the OS during June but that is suppose to be the final beta. So anyway, i am also waiting for a tablet that shows windows 8 setup. That will be interesting to see with Metro UI. I am not interested in testing the UI on desktop.

I have seen the exact opposite reaction from people. Many people say that if they ever upgrade from windows XP then they are going to upgrade to windows 7 and not windows 8. I know the reason is because microsoft is abandoning the classic desktop and that is going to be a big blow for the windows market. I am sure many people will adopt linux by the time they launch next OS to cover the damage.
By the way if i am not wrong then OEM and the consumer release of the windows 8 are supposed to be in august as per their current announcement. I know that they are going to release the final release of the OS during June but that is suppose to be the final beta. So anyway, i am also waiting for a tablet that shows windows 8 setup. That will be interesting to see with Metro UI. I am not interested in testing the UI on desktop.

Its obvious Microsoft is taking the risk of loosing customers on desktop with targeting the tablet arena... Tablet and mobile is increasing so I guess its not a bad move... I just like how simple and light the whole tile layout feels (for me)... kinda like how I feel when I use google chrome brower... simple and neat... its a matter of getting use to that layout will be the major hill for users to over come initially

I think they made a gamble with shiny thing. Windows desktop was usable because they provide more consistent standard interface. Is search option quickly available, is desktop quickly able to find the files like it used to for the all previous version. Is desktop going to give the access to the control panel and some of the software removal and installation services? these are the things which makes it hard to use the metro UI.

Here is one funny image for the windows metro UI. It is kind of poked fun at the new interface and rightfully so.

Posted Image

That said i am not the only one who thinks windows 8 is not good for gaming desktop. So many gaming companies are thinking about moving to the linux environment. Steam recently announced that they are interested in the linux. So i guess those who sticked with windows for the steam are going to get linux distro and they are going to join the linux rev soon.

Here's the news snippet.

The chaps at Phoronix have confirmation from Valve that the developer are working on a Linux version of their platform-bestriding distribution system, and are even hiring new Linux developers. Phoronix have apparently spoken directly to Mr Newell, who was quite keen on the open-source platform. They report: “His level of Linux interest and commitment was incredible while his negativity for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft was stunning. In fact, as soon as I return to my office this weekend I plan to try out Windows 8 simply to see if it’s as bad as Gabe states…”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/25/pengrin-steam-coming-to-linux-at-last/