xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sonorama

Antidepressants Any experience with them?

Well, I just went to see my psychiatrist. After years and years I decided to take the prescriptions. I was diagnosed as a Manic-Depressive person when I was 17. In that time I never thought it was really important to follow a medical treatment. So I never really took the pills. After that I had really long period using lots of drugs such like cocaine, mdma, mezcaline, heroine, lsd, etc. I newly went to visit my psychiatrist, and again.... never took the prescriptions....

Now, almost 5 years after my last visit to the psychiatrist, I have decided to (finally) take them and eventually get better. I'm not quite sure, but I feel a bit weird... some nausea, and my mouth is pretty dry... wanna know if anyone has any experience with antipressants, and tell me if its normal the feeling im having....

the prescription is:

EFEXOR XR (Venlafaxina) (75mg Capsules) one per day.

thank you :)

Whatever drugs/medicines/pills you take... It will always be harmful. Suggestion 1:I would recommend Homeopathy treatment and Ayurvedic treatment if you want to get fine by eating or consuming something.Suggestion 2:Else, there are better alternatives like meditation, mind control exersises, Accupressure and Accupuncture Therepies. These things help you out without taking any pills.And using suggestion 1 and suggestion 2 simultaneously will give out better and faster results.Personally, I hate pills.. I say no even too those cough syrups. Scientifically it has been proved that there is no effective medicine for treatment of cough.. And most of the times, its just your mind which reacts to those pills.

Hi,Unfortunately they are side effects of almost all anti-depressants but it does get easier as time goes by. At around 2 weeks into taking them you shouldn't be noticing the side effects. If you still have the side effects please contact your doctor.

I forgot to mention to be careful what other things you try be it natural like St Johns Wart or anything else as they can interact. Never take St Johns Wart without checking first if it will interact with your medication.

the homeopathic, naturopatic comment really scared me, because most/all that stuff is such bull. If you really are manic then the drugs work. I had a friend, lost a friend who was manic it was the drugs that brough him back.
wish you all the best guyguy(i'm assuming here)
round

Thank you guys, I just checked the site, believe me, it was completely useful.And Yeah! Well, I respect people who use homeopathic stuff, but I rather using real medication. And Yeah, I do believe drugs work in these cases. I actually was just talking to a friend who told me his mom's case. In fact, yes, they're side effects, she experienced the same almost for three weeks. After that she was really FINE.I guess I will continue the treatment, anyway thank you OpaQue. Some people might prefer natural stuff, not really me..., not in this case... :)

Well, I just went to see my psychiatrist. After years and years I decided to take the prescriptions. I was diagnosed as a Manic-Depressive person when I was 17.

69062[/snapback]

Ooo manic depression. At first i thought it was a psychological problem but after reading some articles about it, it appears to be a pretty severe disorder, no wonder you need to rely on antidepressants. But rare diseases are always severe ones...

I am not sure if this disorder can be completely healed but I hope you get well soon :)

Manic depression can be difficult to manage for some people, but I know quite a few sufferers who lead full, productive lives......

As for antidepressants, it's trial and error. It's all down to individuals body chemistry.... it may take a while to find the best one that suits you. Which effectively means dealing with a mish mash of side effects.... however, you will eventually find the right one..... it's just a matter of time..... good luck for the future......

take care ..... ~M~ xx

i do think that you should take the medication given to you by the doctors .. but every drug has its side effects .. so you will need to cope with it ... and may god bless you .. But ... i think that effexor xr is not the right medication for you, as you say that you are having manic-depression .. and effexor xr is for depression .. normally doctors treat manic depression with lithium carbonate ... maybe the doctor thinks that your depression is much more severe than manic so he prescribed you this drug .. but you can always ask him the reason if you really wanna know ..Im a undergraduate pharmacy student

i do think that you should take the medication given to you by the doctors .. but every drug has its side effects .. so you will need to cope with it ...

While it's true most drugs can induce side effects, your ability to cope with them entirely depends of the severity of the symptoms. If they are unbearable then obviously you'll need to see your Doc and review your treatment asap. He's the best person to advise you on whether a drug is appropriate for your condition or not, as he is in possesion of your full medical history.

xx ~M~

I had severe depression before I got saved and a little bit afterwards, 5-7 years ago. I was suicidal as well and my mom was diagnosed with manic depression and schizophrenia I believe it was. I was on Effexor and St. John's Wort too, had a bottle sitting around in my closet I didn't even notice (the wort) until recently. I was also on Paxil and Welbutrin too, probably some others too that I don't remember. I don't really know that one was any better then the other though since I was on a bunch at one time, didn't spend much time on any one only. They only seemed to make things worse, if you're right about St. John's Wort that was probably what did it too, and since it was an over-the-counter one that was easily procureable... Well, I just gave up on them all and trusted in God and He got me out of it. I don't know that I'd say life has gotten easier, but God has helped me bear things that once would've crushed me more easily, and He's working my life out to be the most meaningful, valuable one I can have on planet earth. Good enough for me :rolleyes: