xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Wordpress Vs Your Own Cms

Wordpress is a great, easy to use, content management system that is equally beneficial for both beginners and experts. Beginners find it easy to use and get started with while at the same time it has many advanced features and customizations for pro users. The best thing about it is that it belongs to the open-source community. This means that you can use the code in whatever way you want without any limitation and you will have full access to the core of it thus modifications and customizations are not a problem.But my qestion is that for someone who just needs a simple website with no advanced features at all, is wordpress simple enough to not affect resources and speed. I haven't done much research on the speed of wordpress platform and how much resources it uses, but I am sure it would use more than a simple page with no complexities at all. So for a webmaster who just want such a simple website which has nothing but links, text and images, is wordpress a good solution. What if someone develops his own CMS specifcally for his own website. Some readers might thing that making a CMS would be a heck of a job but believe me it is not that difficult. You can easily create a very basic but completely functional CMS in a couple of hours at maximum (ofcourse, if you know how to do it and have learned all the languages and tools necessary).The advantage of this approach would be that you won't create any extra thing that would never be used in your website and this all would accumulate to be a considerable cut on resources that your website use. But here I am more concerned with the speed of the website than the resouces it use. Would your own custom made CMS that has no unnecessary features be faster than wordpress, which is built taking all types of customers in mind. Some of its features are almost always unnecessary for some webmasters and I suspect they can also reduce the website speed. So my guess is that a website built on a custom made CMS with no extra unneeded features with be faster than a similar website built on wordpress platform, but I might be wrong and that is why I started this topic.I really believe that if I create my own CMS, my site would be faster than the current one, which is based on wordpress platform. But one thing is keeping me from creating my own CMS and that is "SECURITY". Because wordpress is a global platform, and is used in all types of different industries, it can make no compromise on its security. And as a webmaster, I can make no compormise against my website's security so I have to stick to something that is more secure no matter if it is faster or not. But what if I am able to make my custome CMS secure enough. In that case, wouldn't it be a good thing to get a faster website, as everyone here would know that search engines have not started to give significant weight to faster websites. Most importantly, users like faster website and it leaves a good impression. The question, however, is that how to achieve a security level for my CMS that my work, when gets online, cannot be easily compromised. Can I trust my own work better than work of many professional developers who contribute to wordpress.And how much effort would it take to develop a reasonable security...

i guess it's also important to note that even with a simple site, if it's likely to grow or have a future of growth than wordpress or other popular CMS tools can save a lot of work in the future... even with a small website, unless it's you're own personal website which very much likely only yourself will maintain it for its' existence than creating you're own CMS would be fine... as for speed, i don't really think there's a much of a difference in speed using Wordpress for a simple website or using you're own home made CMS... i still think static pages (without database is the quickest to load) for a simple single page website...

From my little experience, I can tell that a website built on static pages is very hard to manage as compared to a database-driven website. Making changes to static website is a bit of a pain while database driven websites built on a healthy CMS offer easy customization. So, I think that even if the websites with static pages are faster, the increase in speed won't be worth the effort one has to put to maintain such a website. On the other hand, database driven websites are very easy to maintain and they offer the facility of concentrating your efforts to the content only. This is an extremely healthy indication for a website from both user-experience and SEO perspectives. And in the process if some speed is lost, I think it is worth it.However, if there are some mechanisme to make a certain CMS faster than the other, then those mechanisms should be followed because I believe that faster websites are getting much weight from the search engines in their ranking algorithms. This is especially true for niche websites that recieve a major portion of their traffic from search engines. Such website have to devise strategies to make search engines happy and increasing the website speed is a good strategy.If it is correct that there isn't any speed difference between wordpress and a simple CMS specifically made for a website, then I think no one should bother to create their own CMS as wordpress is a great system to work with. But I still don't understand it. I mean how is it possible that all the extra stuff in the wordpress that a website is not using, wouldn't cause any burden on resources and speed. @manuleka, please talk more about it.

Our CMS are not efficient to be compared with Wordpress, the main reason I use Wordpress is all SEO tools are available in ease which you cannot create from your CMS. Wordpress is a time saver and a great platform for your SEO campaign.

Our CMS are not efficient to be compared with Wordpress, the main reason I use Wordpress is all SEO tools are available in ease which you cannot create from your CMS. Wordpress is a time saver and a great platform for your SEO campaign.

exactly... why create your own CMS (time costs) when you can build on what's already available? customizing or tweaking already available CMS is probably my best advice for someone thinking of creating their own CMS

unless it is a project which will be ongoing (maintenance and support) then i really don't see the point. Its so much easier and cost a whole lot less if one just learn one CMS (eg. wordpress) and master it, then you can do whatever you want with it - even to adjust the code itself to meet your requirements or use

Sometimes I think that Wordpress is like the Windows of the CMS world. There is such a large-scale acceptance of Wordpress that there rarely is a need for an alternative. With some of the world's most popular websites running on Wordpress, there hardly is any reason not to depend on Wordpress for building a site.

Its so much easier and cost a whole lot less if one just learn one CMS (eg. wordpress) and master it, then you can do whatever you want with it - even to adjust the code itself to meet your requirements or use

That's so very true! Mastering Wordpress is not an easy task and will take time. But once you can tweak the code to your will, then you can find that you can design websites that look very unique and different. Then you need not worry about having a dull website that millions of other Wordpress users have! I think that keeping Wordpress free was the best decision taken by its creators. Thanks to that we all now have a powerful CMS at our disposal, which we can use for free, and yet reap the benefits of having a top-notch CMS that can be tweaked to compete with any website on the internet!

Let me put my question in this way....I assume that there is lot of extra stuff in wordpress that a normal simple website like mine (see the signature for the link to my website) is not going to use. So is this extra stuff going to prove as a burden on the speed of my website ???

Well, the website isn't heavy traffic at all so I guess I don't have to worry about the resources used by the platform...What about page loading speeds.... Suppose I delete all the unused stuff from the original wordpress and thus create a minimalistic version of it, would it improve page loading speeds...? :unsure:

I think page load speed would be more to do with the client/users connection speed... so in my opinion i would look more in to the contents of your pages, if you are worried about low speed accessors (dial-up)... is your website hosted by Xisto - Web Hosting (Xisto) services?

No I am not worried about low speeds on my server. It is hosted by Xisto and I am pretty happy with their service. I was just trying to cover all the questions that arise in mind about the subject. I might never create my own minimalistic version of wordpress but I guess knowledge is always useful. And who knows someone mentions a very useful point related to the subject that is beneficial for all.....By the way, my interest in page loading speed is also due to the fact that quite some time ago I read somewhere on a website that Page loading speed is an important Factor in SEO. So...... :P

Well I haven't experimented with this myself but it is something I read sometime ago. And I am quite sure that if you search for it, you would definitely find some answers to whether Page loading speed actually has any effect on SEO or not....I am sure that you would find an answer because you are so good at searching ( :P Reference: A Stable Webcam Spy Recorder :P ) Lol :D

lol... i haven't spent time on the topic (SEO) and have no interest in it but i guess google would give me more indepth info on it... just don't have time to read through SEO stuff really