xisto Community

Don't talk about the "free" OpenOffice.

Now is the time of LibreOffice.

Reason ?

see here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

On 28 September 2010, several members of the OpenOffice.org project formed a new group called "The Document Foundation". The Document Foundation created LibreOffice from their former project in response to Oracle Corporation's purchasing of Sun Microsystems over concerns that Oracle would either discontinue OpenOffice.org, or place restrictions on it as an open source project, as it had on Sun's OpenSolaris.[12][13][14][15]

It was originally hoped that the LibreOffice name would be provisional, as Oracle was invited to become a member of The Document Foundation. Oracle rejected requests to donate the OpenOffice.org brand to the project[16] and demanded that all members of the OpenOffice.org Community Council involved with The Document Foundation step down from the OOo Community Council, citing a conflict of interest.[17]

The Go-oo project was discontinued in favour of LibreOffice.[18] Improvements made by the project were merged into LibreOffice. Enhancements made in other forks are also expected to be incorporated into LibreOffice.[19][20] Also underway is the reduction of Java dependency,[21] with the goal of minimizing security issues and improving application stability.[citation needed]

As a result of the fork of OpenOffice.org into LibreOffice, and the resulting loss of developers, Oracle announced in April 2011 that it was terminating the commercial development of OpenOffice.org.[22] In June 2011, Oracle announced[23] that it would contribute the OpenOffice.org code and trademark to the Apache Software Foundation, which decided to accept the offer and start an incubation process within the foundation.

Google and Red Hat began to contribute programmers to LibreOffice in June 2011.[24]

I suppose I'll have to start using the LibreOffice version of the OpenOffice.org tools I use today soon... I still have Microsoft Office for Word/Excel/PowerPoint, but I do use OpenOffice.org for Base (Access equivalent), though it's quite rare. One thing I did notice though is that LibreOffice messed up my file type associations for the "supported" file types in Windows. I thought this was a coincidence at first but when I installed it on a fresh copy of Windows and couldn't open ODT or DOC files then I realized it wasn't a coincidence. Not sure how it happened though.

I'm using this on my Kubuntu. :) It's pretty cool and it's an awesome alternative to MS Office.

i'm curious though, would this portable libreoffice work on any Linux distribution?

i'm curious though, would this portable libreoffice work on any Linux distribution?

The version I am using is for Windows. I even don't know if there is a portable version for Linux. :unsure:

This might be a little off-topic, but as the discussion is going towards portable apps, I thought, I would contribute. My opinion of portable apps is that they should be used only as portable. I mean they are good for people who move around to different computers. They become independant of what is available on the system and what is not. And I guess this is the actual reason why portable apps are developed.In contrast, on my personal computer where I spend about 10 hours daily, it is better to have installed the full thing. The reason is that I don't like my USB Flash plugged in all the time and not available for moving data. And, there is less trouble with files and crashes etc when you have the full thing installed on your system.

"Portable" also means "standalone". I have a copy of my portableapps on a USB flashdisk, but I also have a copy on my hard disk. I use my hard disk copy, and when I move I have the same ones on my USB flashdisk.And if I happen to have a bad stroke, I simply remove the portable app from my hard drive, and uncompress a fresh copy and everything is back to nominal.

The biggest reason I don't like portable apps (or stand alone apps for that matter) on my PC is the inability to open files directly. I mean to say that without the proper thing installed on my computer, I wont be able to open file.docx by double clicking on it. I will have to open the standalone software first and the open the file from there which is kind of a pain for me. There are many other reasons as well but this is the major one.

The biggest reason I don't like portable apps (or stand alone apps for that matter) on my PC is the inability to open files directly. I mean to say that without the proper thing installed on my computer, I wont be able to open file.docx by double clicking on it. I will have to open the standalone software first and the open the file from there which is kind of a pain for me. There are many other reasons as well but this is the major one.

i'm guessing an additional task to allow this would be open with and set the app as default but once you remove the usb that default will probably disappear...

I wont be able to open file.docx by double clicking on it. I will have to open the standalone software first

This is the false situation: "docx" is the extension for microsoft office or or microsoft reader. There is no portable version for that, you have to install microsoft office or microsoft word viewer, and this will associate the "docx" file extension with office binaries.
By the way, if you have a portable application, you can at any time associate ".flv" to the VLC binary, whether it's the portable version or not. You click on a "flv" file, it does not work because natively it's associated to nothing, you install the portable version of your viewer, you associate the ".flv" extension to the portable viewer software and you can open your file by simply clicking on it's name in the Microsoft file explorer.

This is the false situation: "docx" is the extension for microsoft office or or microsoft reader. There is no portable version for that, you have to install microsoft office or microsoft word viewer, and this will associate the "docx" file extension with office binaries.By the way, if you have a portable application, you can at any time associate ".flv" to the VLC binary, whether it's the portable version or not. You click on a "flv" file, it does not work because natively it's associated to nothing, you install the portable version of your viewer, you associate the ".flv" extension to the portable viewer software and you can open your file by simply clicking on it's name in the Microsoft file explorer.

and as i mentioned earlier.... this association will have to be done everytime you plug in the portable media

and as i mentioned earlier.... this association will have to be done everytime you plug in the portable media

Even if you plug the media in the same USB socket, which will make the disk available under the same letter (let's say h:\) ?

By the way, if you have a portable application, you can at any time associate ".flv" to the VLC binary, whether it's the portable version or not.

I am not very expert at working with binaries and similar stuff, but using my common sense, I assume that the binaries have to reside on my hard disk so that a permanent association is made between flv files and the binaries. If the binaries are on a portable media, then I will have to re-associate the files every time I plug back in my portable media, which would be exactly the situation why I don't like portable apps. But in the first case, where I will have to keep the binaries on my hard drive, it actually kills the whole purpose of using portable apps. Instead of keeping the binaries and going through the trouble of associating my files to it, why not simply install the vlc from setup.exe which would do it all for me automatically.

You click on a "flv" file, it does not work because natively it's associated to nothing, you install the portable version of your viewer, you associate the ".flv" extension to the portable viewer software and you can open your file by simply clicking on it's name in the Microsoft file explorer.

If I do have to install something, why not install the full version which would be more stable and reliable. The whole concept of portable apps is the freedom of not installing anything.
It would be really handy, if there can be some sort of script put into the autorun.inf file of the portable media that will automatically make the associations once the device is inserted. In this way I would still get the associations rather painlessly without making proper installation of the software. And the best part would be that I would be able to use the same apps on different computers without wasting any time.