xisto Community
ashiezai

Did You Face Problem Opening Pdf With Firefox?

Hello, I have a question to ask since the 1st day of my download of firefox ... Whenever i open a pdf file online using firefox, the firefox is get not responding and my comp got hanged ... i have to manually end the firefox program via windows task manager .. I tried to wait the pdf to load, but it seems that it takes forever .. so im guessing it's the trail version's bug .. but after a few updates, I still have the problems with my firefox ... Is this my computer's problem or firefox problem ? If it's a firefox bug, it's impossible that no1 report this to firefox and they dun fix it .. am i right ?

Firefox suppose to download them instead rather then opening it directly..
However you can change some settings...
Go to your Option Settings / Download and take a look at your File Types group..
Be sure that nothing is in there for better performance so files are downloaded and open externally from firefox.

Another reason can be that Acrobat reader is taking alot of time to load..
Try rebooting your computer to see if it gets better.
Else, upgrade to Acrobat Reader 7 which suppose to have a faster load time...

Adobe Reader 7.0 :
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

PDFs open fine in firefox window for me. how long it takes a PDF to appear depends on how big the PDF is also. try opening this 194K PDF. it should load in firefox window in seconds, even with a dialup connection. large PDFs would take a lot longer to open, so an option is to wait for it to fully download for successful viewing in firefox. or you can just simply save it to your disk, and read directly with adobe reader. :)

I've found by default that trying to open a pdf in Firefox causes it to bring up the download window. If it helps, I'm using Windows XP and Adobe Reader 6.0.

Mine opens pdfs really slowly, but it works, after a minute or two. It's not supposed to open it up -in- firefox though, if that's what you're trying to do. It should open in Adobe Acrobat/Reader.

i find that if you give it a few sencons it tends to load fine, however if you just get anoyed and start mashing the resfrsh and back butons then you normally run into problems. i find that it is a adobe problem and that is is Acrobat Reader that is crashing not firefox. also do you have the latest version, as unlike microsoft they are normally pretty quick to fix things

Before I had the same problem with PDF files, usually when I'm loading large PDF files. I think the problem is caused by Firefox attempting to download the whole file first before showing it. Ever since I have installing Adobe reader 7, its been more responsive when opening large PDF files.Also there are differences when loading in different broswers. When loading the same PDF file in IE, I acutally see the progress of the file in the status bar, in Firefox it shows nothing, so feels like it froze.

The Answer

Did You Face Problem Opening Pdf With Firefox?

I've had problems with this too. First, uninstall Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat. Then install Foxit reader, which is free. It's smaller and faster than Adobe. And free. Firefox will prompt you to open or save the file, like a normal file. If you click open it should open in Foxit. You don't have to uninstall Adobe, but the browser plugin might take over if you don't.

Foxit Reader: https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/

-reply by The Answer

I've been using Firefox for several years now, and this is a problem I face all the time. Sometimes the PDF will load without the client crashing, but it is very slow and lags down all my other tabs. On other occasions the PDF toolbar will load, and then the client will hang, at which point I will have to close the program via Task Manager.To be honest, I've just gotten in to the habit of downloading PDFs instead of clicking on them. That makes it a non-issue for me since I have the Adobe CS3 Master Suite.I wouldn't think of uninstalling Adobe either, since I use it quite often. It's a shame...really.

I will have to add that Firefox is horrid when loading anything: PDF's, high-resolution pictures, etc. It's one of my irks about the browser, as I like to peruse pictures larger than 1200x800 and save them (just for the sake of having them... because I'm a pack rat for cool stuff). :o When you click on a hyperlink leading up to a PDF document in Firefox, it's not Firefox loading up the PDF, but Adobe Acrobat opening up WITHIN Firefox. If you look at the bottom-left corner (where the status bar is), you'll see a progress indicator as to how much data you've downloaded out of how much you'll need to temporarily save the file and open it. (If you decide to save the file, it's actually making a copy of the temporary file already on your hard drive.) PDF's can seemingly-take a very long time, especially if it's a large file. The best you can do is to be patient, as Firefox won't allow you to do anything else while the PDF loads (which will be your "hanging" issue): your clicks will be unresponsive and Firefox will seem to be not responding.

I'm a mac user and firefox won't open PDFs for me. It's really weird. It will download and open them in preview (apple's Stock standard PDF and image viewer). and in the 'change how firefox handles different types of files' I haven't got a PDF option. Nor can I create one.Any Ideas?

It has happened to me too previously. I realize that the problem has gone away once I upgraded by Adobe Reader. Maybe you should do the same. Or try to save the file and then open it in AR instead of viewing it in the browser.

I get that problem rarely, although it tends to happen when I have used up my download limit and my internet speed is very slow. I usually can tab to the other pages while the PDF is loading. Mashing refresh or rapidly tabbing across the pages might cause it to lock up and freeze though, and that generally is very annoying, as Firefox's restore sessions can't be used since it will reload the same PDF page again.Although it's hardly the point, since you're probably just asking around if people had problems, you can just use Internet Explorer/Opera or another Internet Browser to load the page or as someone else had already suggested, manually save it using Save Link As...

In my case as I am using FF3beta5, pdfs are downloaded instead of direct viewing in the browser window. That is quite useful instead of annoying within browser pdf view. ^_^ BTW I wonder many people is saying here to use Adobe Reader for reading pdf files. But adobe reader is now itself a bloatware, heavy on system resources and nothing more. Foxit Reader is a more sophisticated and usable solution for this.