xisto Community
shmeldrick

What Has Become Of Graphic Design? How original can graphic design be these days?

This is a bit of a philosophical question, I would like to know what you guys think.How "original" can graphic design be these days?The reason I ask is because from what I've started to see, so much of professional graphic design these days is based on the ideas of using stock photographs, images, brushes, cool fonts, stock textures etc.What I wonder is, what do you think about someone who creates an image where none of the content was actually created by them?Is it an original piece of art or more a simple collage of stock items.Personally what I feel is, if the artist creates something new with all those stock images and templates, something that really looks good and not like any sole one of those images, then the Artist is creating an original work. However, I have occasionally had doubts about Graphics these days and their originality.Let me know what you think!

I have a friend who used physical colors on a physical support, and recently switched to digital graphics.Still a creation starting from nothing (you draw a line, you fill a curve with color, etc...). The advantage is that it can easily be handled by modern means, no way to tansit through a camera. I name this, reall artistic creation.Great photographers are also artists.And manipulating pictures by chemical means has been long ago a very popular sport. The only real thing to keep in mind is : is this an artistic creation ? What do you feel when you look at such a creation? If you feel the beauty, it's an artistic work. If you feel nothing, it's loss of time.

I think what matters the most is what you produce. Obviously the condition of abiding by the law apply everywhere. So as far as you are not violating any copyright laws, and you create stuff which fulfills its purpose, you are fine. The reason why I say this is that there are so many people who have turned into digital artists. In comparison to the traditional art work, digital art work is way too easy. It is simpler and much more forgiving. So more and more people do their art related stuff themselves. For these people, it doesn't matter how original they are or how classy they are. What matters for them is how their creation looks and feels. If the creation looks fine and it fulfills what it was created for, it is a job well done.But yes if someone is too passionate about art and he wants to gain some name in the field, he should definitely keep the factor of originality in mind.

it all depends on your definition of what graphic design is, what it seems your talking about is digital illustration, not graphic design, graphic design is comunication in visual form.

it all depends on your definition of what graphic design is, what it seems your talking about is digital illustration, not graphic design, graphic design is comunication in visual form.

I would rather call digital illustration a part of the wider field of graphics designing. It cannot be regarded as a completely separate thing in my opinion.

This is a bit of a philosophical question, I would like to know what you guys think.How "original" can graphic design be these days?
The reason I ask is because from what I've started to see, so much of professional graphic design these days is based on the ideas of using stock photographs, images, brushes, cool fonts, stock textures etc.
What I wonder is, what do you think about someone who creates an image where none of the content was actually created by them?
Is it an original piece of art or more a simple collage of stock items.

Personally what I feel is, if the artist creates something new with all those stock images and templates, something that really looks good and not like any sole one of those images, then the Artist is creating an original work. However, I have occasionally had doubts about Graphics these days and their originality.

Let me know what you think!

like every inventions and innovations, nobody really came up with an idea on their own... ideas are derivatives (directly/indirectly) of previous ones... todays artists are continuing the from arts created yesterday