xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gunbound

Replace Shtml With Php? I dont know jack....

I don't know anything about PHP, except that I use phpBB and have modified my forums template files.I used to make web sites years ago and just got back into it a couple months ago. I wonder if I should stop using shtml and switch to php. I don't really have time to learn php (at least not yet), but if it's easy to replace my Server Side Include with php (just to be more "modern") I would be willing to do so.Anyone have any suggestions about me doing so? Am I'm too old school for using shtml? Lol :) I never see any web sites that use it anymore.If there's an easy way for me to learn how to use PHP, specifically for includes (as that's all I think I should want to use it for), I would appreciate the help.

Ahh yes, the good ole include. It's really easy for PHP, by the way, and I'm someone who have very little knowledge of PHP.

To include a file with PHP, simple place the code:

<?php include("file.txt"); ?>
anywhere in your page. This code assumes that file.txt is in the same directory as the calling page. You can modify this, of course, by using absolute URLs instead of a relative one. The filename, .txt, can be any file name (as far as I'm concerned).

Hope that helped! :)