xisto Community
zenia

Get Your Own Chan A manual to create and run a chan for free

Manual

Short list of actions

1. The first step is to create 4 free email adresses.

The four email adresses are used for the back up of the other three email adresses, to get a free domain name, to get a free website and to have a contact email address on the chan.

2. Download the chan file.

3. Get a free domain name.

4. Get a free website of a free websitehost.

5. Use a FTP downloader to upload the chan file in the root dir of the server space of the free website host.

6. Extract the chan file into the root dir of the the website space.

7. Download a copy of the config.php file on the hard disk of the computer.

8. Edit the config.php file with WordPad. Add the name of the database host, the database name, the database user name, the database password and the database prefix into config.php. Save the config.php file in txt mode.

9. Upload the edited config.php file into the website space and replace and overwrite the old config.php by the edited config.php.

10. Move three files from the Other file to the root file.

The files to be moved are:

install.php

install-mysql.php

chanfilename_freshinstall.sql

11. Run the install.php file.

This can be done by typing in the URL of the domain name into the URL window. It is possible to start the install.php file by adding /install.php to the URL of the domain name too.

12. Follow the instructions of the install.php page.

13. Delete 1 folder and three files in of the root dir:

The folder: Other

The files:

install.php

install-mysql.php

chanfilename_freshinstall.sql

14. Open manage.php

15. Log into the management page with the user name admin and the password admin.

16. Create a new administrator user with a new password.

17. Log out.

18. Log in with the new administrator user name and the new password.

19. Delete the admin user name.

20. Edit the config.php file with WordPad again.

Add the chan name. Change the slogan.

21. Upload the config.php file to the root dir of the webspace of the free webhost.

22. Log into the management department.

23. Find the url of a nice picture in google/pictures.

24. Add a board. Fill in the letter of the new board. Type a description of the board. The description will be the name of the board.

25. Set the options of the new board. Fill in the letter of the board, the name of the board, the URL of the picture that was found at google and make it possible to embed pictures and videos of Youtube in the board.

26. Save the new options.

27. Promote the chan.

It is pretty easy to set up a new chan. Most of the set up process runs automatically.

Posted Image

Edited by zenia (see edit history)

Manual

Part 2. Download the chan file.

The name of the software of the chan is kusaba.

The website to download the file to create a chan is

http://kusabax.cultnet.net/

The version to use for this manual is Kusaba X 0.9.2.

It is suggested to upload the full version.

The link to the download page is:

Kusaba home page

Posted Image

Manual to get a free Chan

Part two. Create five free email accounts

Some websites to create free email accounts are:

yahoo

hotmail

gmail

There are more websites that offer free email accounts. One of the accounts is ment to back up two email accounts. In case the password is forgotten the back up email account can be used to get a new password. It is recommended that four email addresses are kept private. Don't tell anybody the four email account names. And don't use four email accounts for emailing. Use one email account only to back up the other three email accounts. And use the other 3 email accounts for the registration of the free domain name and the free website and to get a new password.

Use one of the free email accounts to back up the fifth email account. The fifth email account can be used to publish on the chan. This email account can be used to communicate with the users of the chan. The idea is that the back up account of the email account to communicate with the users is different from the email account, that is used to back up the registration email accounts. If the email account for communication and the back up account for communication get hacked the email accounts of the chan and the domain name and their back up email account are still safe. So the advice is that there aren't any emails sent from the email accounts except from the communication email account. This advice is given to keep the information and the names of the email accounts as secure as possible.

Posted Image

This manual is not complete. It is possible, that more parts will be added to the list. And the tutorial department asks for a complete tutorial. That is why it seems this list of actions is not suitable for the tutorial part of the forum.

Chan is a short name for a channel. This is a website where people can post anonymous. Messages can be posted. And sometimes images and videos can be embedded in the messages. The main difference with a forum is that people don't have to subscribe to post. Users have to subscribe to a forum in order to be able to post on the forum. Xisto is a forum.

ok... so who uses these kinda chan forums anyways? this is the first time i've heard of it.. at first i thought it's some chinese stuff called Chan as in Jackie Chan... lol...

Chan is a short name for a channel. This is a website where people can post anonymous. Messages can be posted. And sometimes images and videos can be embedded in the messages. The main difference with a forum is that people don't have to subscribe to post. Users have to subscribe to a forum in order to be able to post on the forum. Xisto is a forum.

ok so admins or mods have to approve the post first before it becomes public? or do hey clean up after whatever media being posted that violates forum policy? Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

Users of a chan are mainly people who like to stay anonymous while posting. They don't want their names and addresses been known on the internet. 4chan is a website with anonymous posters. Other websites are used to discuss for instance anime art.

Another purpose to post this list of actions to get a free chan in this section of the forum is to be able to discuss the chan culture on the internet.

Posted Image

Usually the moderators of a chan are very busy cleaning up the chan and removing annoying posts. Also removing spam is a big part of the duties of a moderator. The same applies for the moderator of a forum. These things happen in the forum of Xisto and the forum of Xisto too.

Posted Image

Usually the moderators of a chan are very busy cleaning up the chan and removing annoying posts. Also removing spam is a big part of the duties of a moderator. The same applies for the moderator of a forum. These things happen in the forum of Xisto and the forum of Xisto too.

Posted Image

but with registration it sort of deters quick spammers... spam is inevitable, but less spam occurs when there's need for registration i guess...

I don't understand the purpose of these airplanes in each of your posts, Zenia.

Is this a way of testing the mod's patience, or checking their ability of deleting images inside text posts?

Posted Image

I don't understand the purpose of these airplanes in each of your posts, Zenia.Is this a way of testing the mod's patience, or checking their ability of deleting images inside text posts?

frankly it's quite annoying those huge images.... that chan thing is a spam haven i regon... i suppose you do have a chan forum yourself Zenia?

Hello zenia, I thank you for writing this. Any contribution to anything helps. And it certainly seems like a Chan could be something useful. However, I do have suggestions for you.1. I had to read through your posts in order to find out what a "Chan" is.If you are going to explain how to do something, explain what it is first and the benefits of possibly using it. I had no idea what a chan was. Then I typed that in Google and the first thing that comes up, basically, is 4chan, which is a somewhat entertaining site, but also isn't appropriate for all age groups. So before you even explain how to install something.. what the heck is it that I am installing? What does it do?2. You wrote this manual or tutorial in many posts. I don't know why, but my Xisto Forums view is in a tree standard format and I have to click each link to open up your new posts. There is no limit to the amount of characters a post can contain. Your thread would've been much better had you included all the information in the first post. In the future, keep it all on the first post.3. Short list of actions. I hardly consider 27 numbers a short list. 5 or 10.It's a great thing you've done this in steps. It makes it much easier to understand. Though I think you could have narrowed down some of those steps of multiple tasks into one.4. I've tried to understand the logic behind your setting up 5 email accounts. When I first found a free host and started setting up everything, I realized the importance of not using my primary / business / school email address for anything any longer. I decided to set up a Gmail account after my site name. And then once I was with Xisto - Web Hosting, I got 50 emails from the package and set up 3 of them. I only use one away from the master "admin" account. Setting up 5 emails is not logical. Setting up one that isn't linked to anything else and contains a completely different password not related to your website or anything that anyone can guess about you seems much more logical.5. Why are you posting plane pictures in each post? Is it relevant to the topic? If it isn't, don't do it. It's more annoying, as I'm on a slightly slower Internet connection and it makes the page load slower.Don't mean to be harsh. But I am not the only one who sensed frustration of even opening up your thread. Even the site that you linked to hardly contains much information about itself. (The information I eventually found in its "Wiki" link) It looks like it's a good program that's starting up, but it also seems very "underground." A site like that usually contains people already backing it. I can log on to WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, or another type of site and the first thing I see on the front page is what it is and what it does. The front page / news site and even the FAQ page doesn't even contain information about what it does, it assumes a person visiting will figure it out easily. So this site doesn't even look like it was designed for the average visitor.I am certainly not knocking you for this site's lack of information. I would just hope that you could have explained it better in your tutorial post. You kind of just jumped in like the site does with an expectation that everyone knows what you are talking about. And certainly, without even a link to a download, I was wondering why you wrote 27 instructions to install some program you didn't even include.That is just my advice and 2 cents for writing a better tutorial and informing people.Thank you for sharing. I'm likely going to check it out because this seems to be the first time I've seen a program like this ... and looks like, after a Google search, there aren't many of these types of CMS / Chan programs that exist.

Edited by Xarex (see edit history)

should've collected his tutorial information first before posting... but i guess he's accumulatively adding them on as he learns i suppose.... but as two previous members mentioned, it's annoying having those pictures.... it's irrelevant unless it's part of your expression in a chan way...