xisto Community
Feelay

Best Games For Linux?

I know that Linux isn't the "Gaming-OS"

Stereotype.On-topic: my favourite Linux-native games are:
Tremulous
UQM
and Unreal Tournament 2004 (they actually ported it to Linux).
I'm not much of a gaming man, so only such short a list. :P

Not stereotype but that's true. Many development firms are not trying for linux in the fear of less revenue and hacked clones. So i don't think it's stereotype in any way. Though ID software is porting old games to linux just to get more people attracted towards their brand and games. This is a strategy which only keeps developers alive but making money ? hmm, hard. Nothing stereotype about it. It's better to create games for PC and consoles than giving away for free on linux. Atleast it pays bills.

I think people use linux because its open source? so developers that wish to contribute to this distribute their software for free. All games on linux is free, which makes the user feel free to try them out. A firm may like to make a "lite" version of a game and release it for linux, then make a "full" version of it, for other platforms, which allow them to receive revenue, and also make their software known to more users. I've never heard of any company doing this, but I think its a good idea...well, the only game i really play on linux is quadrapassel (tetris clone), but there are many others, which should appeal to others. I've tried Mines (minesweeper) which is quite nice. Most games on linux are clones of classics, probably because they are simple to make and maintain, so people don't charge for it, and just distribute it open source.happy linux gaming!

All games on linux is free, which makes the user feel free to try them out.

Don't.Don't think all the games are free - they are not.
Don't think Linux only has something so easy like Minesweeper, Tetris and Solitaire.
As the article is pretty outdated, it's still something to see.

Nothing stereotype about it. It's better to create games for PC and consoles than giving away for free on linux. Atleast it pays bills.

Useless. Linux users != software pirates. Nothing holds a company to release the equally-same shareware product natively on Linux. The example I commonly demonstrate is UT2004 and it's linux port. It did not become less shareware or more free. It didn't summon clones. People paid for it.Porting a game to Linux does not make you magically lose a half of your revenue!
I won't even mention Linux distros for booting on game consoles, which have not only the support of the console's native game format, but offer much greater possibilities.
I am not trying to sound harsh, I just cannot stand when people don't want to learn something new at the sake of following the same old steretypes.
Edited by Qrntz (see edit history)

whoa i didn't knew linux had shareware stuff.... thats not a good sign though...well free games are what we all want!! if you want a better gaming experience (graphics, etc.) then pay for the stuff!If you're like me and like classics like tetris, free stuff ftw!! XD

If you're like me and like classics like tetris, free stuff ftw!! XD

No doubt. :PJust by the way, World of Goo is a great shareware game with a native Linux version. Well worth the money.

World of Goo is a game that I love! Especially the music and sounds!

Yeah, the soundtrack is great.The Fall part almost made me cry.

Machinarium is another good indie game that runs on all PC platforms including Linux. Although, it is more of a point-and-click game that revolves around a linear storyline, with level progression achieved through correctly interacting with objects of the game environment.Unfortunately, other than small indie games and open-source game projects, you will be hard-pressed to find any 'best' games that run natively on Linux operating system. Your best bet would be to run emulation software such as Wine or Crossover to run Windows games on your Linux operating system.

Best game is so subjective. Just like one's garbage is another person's treasure. But in my opinion, the best free linux game is Savage 2. This 1 man shooting game is kind of addictive and has really good review and quite some fans. You will know what I mean when you actually playing it.

Edited by labstuffs (see edit history)

Another one I'd like to recommend is: UFO Alien Invasion, this is by many considered to be the best turn-based strategy game for linux. Graphics are good, story are well written, you can indulge yourself into some difficult fights if you want. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Edited by labstuffs (see edit history)

I see some games coming out lately for Linux but same as Apple's Mac, they are no match for the Windows games and they never will be. Anyway I've seen a Windows game being played on Linux with some DirectX and other emulators. My friend tried that and he succeeded but he had the minimum of his graphic card, not the maximum. The game on Windows Vista was running with 50-60 frame per second and on Linux was running with 10-20 frame per second. It's big difference and it doesn't worths to play on Linux operating system where you can play with better graphic on Windows operating systems.

I've been using ubuntu for a while now, and really love it ;)
my favorite game? quadrapassel (tetris clone) ;)
if you don't have it and want to install, run the following code in terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal)

sudo apt-get install quadrapassel

sorry but i don't know any of those type of game :lol: i would like that as well

good luck with finding them!

and sudoku :lol: