xisto Community
Feelay

Best Games For Linux?

It took me a while to decide where to put this.. In the Linux forums or in the Games forum? But in the end I figured this might fit best here since it's Linux related.I'm wondering. What's your favourite Linux games? I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and I'm still exploring all the possibilities. I've downloaded some games, but nothing that caught my eye.I know that Linux isn't the "Gaming-OS", but I'd like to know if you know anything that might be fun. I'd like the graphics to be either 2D or good 3D. In other words, no "bad" 3D with a bad camera and hard controls.I have a special request actually:Does anyone know of a strategy game where you, for example build a city or a town or something like that. Say that you build a building or make a research. When you do that, you wont be able to do anything else for say, five minutes. I want this, because it would be fun to do something like that while coding. I know there's a lot of games like these online like Travian, Ikariam and Evony, but I'd like to play a game like this in Single Player mode locally on my PC, because no matter what I do, I always end up making friends when playing such games online, and it's always hard to stop playing when I get tired of the game because of these friends.I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any good real time strategy game for Linux. That would be great when I have nothing to do.Thanks!Regards, Feelay.

I've been using ubuntu for a while now, and really love it :P

my favorite game? quadrapassel (tetris clone) :o
if you don't have it and want to install, run the following code in terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal)

sudo apt-get install quadrapassel

sorry but i don't know any of those type of game :P i would like that as well

good luck with finding them!

I know you mentioned you don't like online, multiplayer games such as Travian, but I still prefer games on Facebook such as Mafia Wars or CityVille. Depending on the platform (Flash/HTML), some can be played on mobile devices as well, and they certainly work on Linux.

You can use WINE in Linux to try and play some Windows games, the compatibility and any bugs can be found on the Wine HQ's application database website: https://appdb.winehq.org/

I'm already using Wine, but I don't know any good games for Windows either, and if I did, I'm not sure if they work on Wine, but thank you, :PThe thing is, I wont be able to use Facebook for the next 5 months, :/

I'm afraid I didn't get that. Could you please explain what you mean? What is it that you've tried? Full screen games? If the answer is yes, full screen games works great, if not, please explain, :P

By the way DOSBOX can be installed on linux. So using dosbox you can install some old dos games like mario, bomberman and others with help of two emulators. You can search for useful emulators link on wikipedia. Some good working emulators are mentioned in the list of wikipedia.

Thank you starscream, I'll check it out later today, it's morning already and I've got to go get some sleep, :/Derek, I managed to start ijji reactor, but couldn't get further than that, couldn't even login. Afraid it doesn't work. No WINE support on this one.