xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

How To Make Links In The Comments Of Your Blog Post To Open In A New Window

I have recently set up a blog with my website and I have received a couple of comments on the posts there. The comments contain links and when I click on the links, the target is opened in the same page. I do not want to lose my visitors to the websites of commenters and I do not want to lose the commenters also. Is this possible that all the links that are in comments of all posts get a "target=_blank" element.

I found this solution for you, it works with most themes. But if it fails then unfortunately you have to change your theme or framework.

You can't do that with your theme's template so this settings is from the core of the wordpress. Why don't you install comment system plugins like commentluv or similar to see if these plugins allow you to do that.

You'll not get comment if you set systems like disquss or intensedebate because they enable nofollow and that is one more reason for traffic going down. Though i do suggest you to enable akismet and other anti-spam measures on your wordpress. Otherwise your site will be hit by spam bot and maybe you'll get frsutrate and disable commenting. So in order to avoid that go to settings > discussion > set your comment approval before appearing on site. This will more filter your comment section.

Hope this helps to solve your commenting related problem.

I found this solution for you, it works with most themes. But if it fails then unfortunately you have to change your theme or framework.

You can't do that with your theme's template so this settings is from the core of the wordpress. Why don't you install comment system plugins like commentluv or similar to see if these plugins allow you to do that.

You'll not get comment if you set systems like disquss or intensedebate because they enable nofollow and that is one more reason for traffic going down. Though i do suggest you to enable akismet and other anti-spam measures on your wordpress. Otherwise your site will be hit by spam bot and maybe you'll get frsutrate and disable commenting. So in order to avoid that go to settings > discussion > set your comment approval before appearing on site. This will more filter your comment section.

Hope this helps to solve your commenting related problem.

Thankyou friend for referring the link to me but it did not work. The comments.php in my theme did not have the code that was mentioned in the post.

I also tried commentluv but I could not figure out how can it be used to add _blank attribut to all <a in my comments. So please tell mo another solution if there is?. I have made many modifications to the theme and I cannot change it because it will waist at least a weak of hard work. So please suggest me an alternate solution.

I want to know more about moderation of comment. Suppose I make the setting that all comments should be moderated first before going live, will it not be a burden of work on me?

I also want to know more about the nofollow attribute. All the wordpress blogs are nofollow by default and in my opinion it is the better strategy because I will not like passing my PR value to another site whose author just wrote a single comment on my website. What do you think?

I don't know if this will work for your theme but here is one more link. I'm not sure of your theme modifications so can't find on google because it'll not be in the search query for specific theme. If you ask this question to wordpress support forums for this theme then chances are there that you'll get help. Otherwise you have to ask in some random community like stackoverflow or others etc. For manual moderation, it'll be burden on you but you can atleast login to your site for daily stats and facebook checking then why not approve at that time. We can always take time to approve genuine comments because many times they'll do favor on us by linking from their blogs and forums. So always welcome commentators and use manual approval to filter out spam which goes out of akismet. Have you installed akismet yet ?About Nofollow - when you post comment on other blogs or site, do you want dofollow for your link ? If yes, then why don't you start from your blog by giving others dofollow. If you want someone to treat you fair then you have to treat others fair to begin with. I personally don't care about too much SE because i got all the traffic on my own and not with google. Google came way later after my promotion techniques. One thing you can do is install commentluv or approve comment manually so that you can pass dofollow juice to commentators who you like posting on your site.

I don't know if this will work for your theme but here is one more link. I'm not sure of your theme modifications so can't find on google because it'll not be in the search query for specific theme. If you ask this question to wordpress support forums for this theme then chances are there that you'll get help. Otherwise you have to ask in some random community like stackoverflow or others etc.
For manual moderation, it'll be burden on you but you can atleast login to your site for daily stats and facebook checking then why not approve at that time. We can always take time to approve genuine comments because many times they'll do favor on us by linking from their blogs and forums. So always welcome commentators and use manual approval to filter out spam which goes out of akismet. Have you installed akismet yet ?

About Nofollow - when you post comment on other blogs or site, do you want dofollow for your link ? If yes, then why don't you start from your blog by giving others dofollow. If you want someone to treat you fair then you have to treat others fair to begin with. I personally don't care about too much SE because i got all the traffic on my own and not with google. Google came way later after my promotion techniques. One thing you can do is install commentluv or approve comment manually so that you can pass dofollow juice to commentators who you like posting on your site.

I have not installed akismet because it required money and I don't have any for the time being. I am a student of Medical Sciences (future doctor) and the webmaster thing is not related at all to my professional field so I cannot get money from my parents for this lovely thing. I just do it to prove that even students can do something to earn some money and not to be a burden on my parents. (Its getting off the topic -- ha ha)
I liked your opinion about moderation of comments. I have got 4 comments on my young blog and 3 of the commenters have given me a backlink. (( I am coming to know the importance of your suggestion of having a CMS based website. I am doing nothing and still I am getting backlinks. )) So if I can just remove the bad comments and keep all the good comments, then I think my website can improve quickly. But for the time being I am getting not much comments and I want to focus on adding new content to the website as quick as possible (because my medical study burden is increasing) so once I have enough content, I will surely set the comments to get approval first before going live.
Now I do not agree with your suggestion of dofollow links. Look everyone that is giving us a link is giving a nofollow link, so why should I give a dofollow link to someone who is giving me a nofollow link. If I want a dofollow link from him, I will write an email to him that I want a dofollow link and in return I will give you a dofollow link, so it will be a better deal. What do you think.
It is the same situation, as we discussed in the topic "Best website that pays upfront" where you said that why should we link to a site which do not allow us to link to our personal site through our articles. So why should we give a dofollow link who is giving us either nothing or just a nofollow link. Its business, isn't it.
Edited by Ahsaniqbal111 (see edit history)

Akismet is free, just pick single site and personal blog.I have it installed and even disqus uses a free version of Akismet.If your site is a corporate one then Akismet free is not for you. :P