xisto Community
Illustrious

Anonymous Ftp For Shared Ip Sites

I was wondering if your website needs to be registered under a dedicated IP to be able to upload files through a PHP form script. I read somewhere a few months ago saying that if order to access FTP anonymously, you need to be hosted on a dedicated server but I am not sure of PHP forms count as Anonymous FTP.

I believe that as long you have the privileges available to set up an anonymous FTP account on your shared hosting site, you should be able to do so. I do not believe a dedicated IP is needed, since you can access your FTP site using a hostname instead of an IP address, However, a word of warning, I do not suggest you set up a FTP site where files can be uploaded and downloaded anonymously, since you will not be able to control the files that may be uploaded e.g. copyrighted / illegal files etc., plus you will also be unable to control the bandwidth utilised.For PHP upload forms, you don't have to use FTP for the code anyway. The PHP code should be able to access the folders / directories server-side and upload the specified file to the specified locations.

Be warned that allowing file uploads on your site also opens up the possibility of being attacked from the inside. Server firewalls block illegal access from outside sources but it will ignore illegal access coming from the inside.Anyone can upload a php file that he can call if he have knowledge on where the file goes.

I was wondering if your website needs to be registered under a dedicated IP to be able to upload files through a PHP form script. I read somewhere a few months ago saying that if order to access FTP anonymously, you need to be hosted on a dedicated server but I am not sure of PHP forms count as Anonymous FTP.

By the way, anonymous ftp is not the only way for being able to upload files through a php script.Your php script is probably able to upload files using a standard ftp account, with a very complicated username and a very secure password! :P