xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

How Can I Create Contact Form For My Website?

I want to make a contact form for my website which have fields like Name, Email. Subject and Message and then the whole data that has been entered by the user in the form is sent to an email address.I know the basic html to make the form but I do not know what to do with the data entered in the form when the user presses "Submit" button.It would be very nice if you can write the code for me so that I can write the similar code on my website.It is a simple form and forms like these are available for free on the internet but I have tried a few websites and they put some ads with the form they give to you. I also think that creating my own form will me much better control and it will be much safer.

<form method="post" action="mailto:youremailaddress@address.com"><em>Enter you name:</em> <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="40" name="name"><br><input type="submit" value="Send"><br><br><em>Fill in your email address:</em> <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="40" name="emailaddress"><br><input type="submit" value="Send"><br><br><em>Write the subject:</em> <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="40" name="subject"><br><input type="submit" value="Send"><br><br><em>Message:</em><br><textarea rows="7" cols="25" name="message"></textarea><input type="submit" value="Send"</form>

It is not sure this works. This code is not tested.
Edited by zenia (see edit history)

The former code gives 4 buttons with Send on it. This looks a bit odd. And the first word: 'you' has to be: 'your'.

In stead of: Enter you name:, it has to be: Enter your name:

With 1 button the code gets:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN""http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ xmlns="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; xml:lang="en" lang="en"><head>   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />   <meta name="description" content="Form" />   <meta name="keywords" content="Form" />   <title>Form</title></head><body><h3>Use this form to send a message.</h3><form method="post" action="mailto:youremailaddress@email.com"><em>Enter your name:</em> <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="40" name="name"><br><br><br><em>Fill in your email address:</em> <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="40" name="emailaddress"><br><br><br><em>Write the subject:</em> <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="40" name="subject"><br><br><br><em>Message:</em><br><textarea rows="7" cols="25" name="message"></textarea><input type="submit" value="Send"</form></br></body></html>

And again:

It is not sure this code works. The send button is not tested.

It is probably possible to add code that makes it obligatory to fill in the windows.

The code shown is a simple form.

It is not sure that this simple code makes a form that has the obligation to type someting in a window before pushing the send button.

The form looks like a bit like this on a website:

Use this form to send a message.

Enter your name: []

Fill in your email address: []

Write the subject: []

[] [send]

This form is supposed to send an email with the message to the email that is filled in at: mailto:

It is probably nice to return automatically a message with the content, that an emailmessage is received.
It might be possilbe to set the email settings to an automical reply.

After that it is nice to reply to the sender of the message.
When the message doesn't have much meaning it is sufficient to say someting like:

Your message has been received.Thank you for your message.
The message will be taken into consideration.
Please feel free to use the contact form again if you like to send another message.

The webmaster

It is more safe to use a seperate email address to send the information of the form to. Everybody will be able to see the email address when the code of the website with the form is made visible. And the receiver of the reply message is able to see the email address too.

I like to use http://www.response-o-matic.com/ for my forms. I find it much more effective than mailto since the person who wants to email you needs to have a email program (Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.) to email you. All you need to do is setup your form and embed your form onto your webpage. When someone fills out the form and submits it, you will get an email emailed directly to whatever email you provided when you made the form with all of the information that was filled out in the form.

(....) I find it much more effective than mailto since the person who wants to email you needs to have a email program (Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.) to email you.

(...)

This is correct. The send information function of the form of the code uses the email program that is attached to the web browser.

http://www.response-o-matic.com/ seems like a good alternative for a self coded form. The topic start post gives the impression the topic starter wants to learn how to write a form code in html.

There are several websites that offer information and free online courses about the way to use html.

Why not use wufoo forms instead ? if you're using wufoo forums then things can become easy for you. I found wufoo easy to include inside HTML. They are also rolling out an plugin for wordpress soon. I wufoo forms are enough for your forms needs.

What you're trying to manipulate in form ? is it related to transaction or just some data ? If you're using wordpress then there are plenty of form plugins that you can use for the manipulation. Contact form 7 seems to be free wordpress plugin if i remember.

Why write code when you can speed up things with such services ? if you want to learn about form coding then W3school is nice place to do so.

Why not use wufoo forms instead ? if you're using wufoo forums then things can become easy for you. I found wufoo easy to include inside HTML. They are also rolling out an plugin for wordpress soon. I wufoo forms are enough for your forms needs.
What you're trying to manipulate in form ? is it related to transaction or just some data ? If you're using wordpress then there are plenty of form plugins that you can use for the manipulation. Contact form 7 seems to be free wordpress plugin if i remember.

Why write code when you can speed up things with such services ? if you want to learn about form coding then W3school is nice place to do so.

You are right that using available contact forms is much much easier as compared to creating your own form but what I want is slightly more control over the form so that I can change the look of it and the send button according to the theme of my website. I have been using KONTACTR and it is working very very nicely but i want more control.
I am trying to make the contact form so that any body having any issue about my website can tell me. A suggestion, A question or anything can be sent to me through my form.
Can you tell me about any free form the look of which I can control better?

Wufoo form will allow you to take more control over your forms. But if you want to store data on your server then wufoo is not good option. In that case code your own form and for that you can learn form processing on W3 schools. That is the best option, though a bit new stuff and for advanced stuff you have to look on google. Contact Form 7 is wordpress solution that allows more control over your forms on wordpress platform. I suggest you to use that if you are using wordpress as CMS. There are also some 3rd party feedback scripts like satisfactionfeedback etc. Which are usually on some website at the right or left screen and collect data from visitors when we click on that button.

Wufoo form will allow you to take more control over your forms. But if you want to store data on your server then wufoo is not good option. In that case code your own form and for that you can learn form processing on W3 schools. That is the best option, though a bit new stuff and for advanced stuff you have to look on google.
Contact Form 7 is wordpress solution that allows more control over your forms on wordpress platform. I suggest you to use that if you are using wordpress as CMS.

There are also some 3rd party feedback scripts like satisfactionfeedback etc. Which are usually on some website at the right or left screen and collect data from visitors when we click on that button.

I am using the form just to receive the message that a user types in the form. I do nothing advanced with the data. I just see the message and then write a reply to the given email address. So what do you thin, should I stick to the form services like Kontacts and wufoo?
Also please tell me that suppose I want to generate an auto response that "We have received your message, Thank you for contacting us", what should I do to be able to generate auto messages like these.

An automatic reply can be set in the settings of gmail.com. And probably other email websites offer that possibility too.Some effort was made to code an example of a simple form using html.A sort of comment if the example is usefull will be nice.Sometimes a first example helps to make things more clear.It can help other people to give advice about a more advanced solution.

Stick with wufu and Kontacts type of form services. they can let you give automatic reply and you can configure the messages as well. If you're not satisfied with that then search for guesbook scripts on google.Search something like 'jquery guesbook script' or 'ajax guestbook scripts' etc. These will dynamically update your site with member messages and also give them feedback for their reply as well. I think wufoo is enough for your need if you want to collect some feedback or want to build basic guestbook forms.

Stick with wufu and Kontacts type of form services. they can let you give automatic reply and you can configure the messages as well. If you're not satisfied with that then search for guesbook scripts on google.
Search something like 'jquery guesbook script' or 'ajax guestbook scripts' etc. These will dynamically update your site with member messages and also give them feedback for their reply as well. I think wufoo is enough for your need if you want to collect some feedback or want to build basic guestbook forms.

I surely will give a try to wufu. I think now that instead of wasting my time on learning how to make forms, I should spend the same time on something useful. So thankyou for you suggestion of using wufu form.
I want to ask you that what is the best search engine available to be added to my website or should i make one of my own

Search engine ? I don't get it you don't want to use search feature of wordpress, drupal or joomla but want to add external ? Correct me if i misunderstand you. During 1999-2006 there was Atomz and google for site searching. Google still has thing option under adsense but it rarely converts and people these days don't click on search ads if they get it from results. But still you can add that. If not google adsense then there is Lijjit search. This search engine is good for listing and getting some bucks from the search results. They show CPM i.e. cost per mile ads on your widget and you get paid. I'm using that on one of my blogspot blogs and earning is bit low but there is less content so you can understand the depth of conversion. Try lijjit if you want to add search to your site.

Search engine ? I don't get it you don't want to use search feature of wordpress, drupal or joomla but want to add external ? Correct me if i misunderstand you.
During 1999-2006 there was Atomz and google for site searching. Google still has thing option under adsense but it rarely converts and people these days don't click on search ads if they get it from results. But still you can add that.

If not google adsense then there is Lijjit search. This search engine is good for listing and getting some bucks from the search results. They show CPM i.e. cost per mile ads on your widget and you get paid. I'm using that on one of my blogspot blogs and earning is bit low but there is less content so you can understand the depth of conversion. Try lijjit if you want to add search to your site.

I think I have not made myself clear. I want to add search feature to my website without any external forced ads on it. I am not using wordpress or joomla etc and I have a website with all the static pages. So i want a search feature where users can enter a search term and then on a separate page the search results are displaced. The way in which all the websites have a search feature. I am so bad at English I cannot even make myself clear.