xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Risks Of Updating Your Computer's Bios

I have a bit old pc made by dell. I checked the dell website for some driver updates and I found a bios update. Because I have never updated my drivers before I never heard of something like bios update. I researched a little bit and found that there is a lot of risk in updating your bios. Even the dell website said that if you want to repair your bios you must make sure that electricity power loss does not occur or otherwise you will lose the functioning of your board and you will then have to replace some components on it. Also some other websites stated different types of risks in updating the bios.I do not understand why is there so much risk in updating the bios. If even the electrical power loss occurs during the installation process, then can the damage not be stoped. Ans if the update is so risky then why you bring such updates.Any one want to share their ideas in warmly welcomed.

About firmware updating and BIOS updating: usually if everything works for you and you have no problems using the device, I doubt the update is needed, it's usually good to read the new features or bug fixes in the update and if they are relevant for you you may update, but usually I don't update any of my firmware or BIOS on my laptop.. But I used to..As I said, if your system is working fine, usually the update is not needed.. The same is with cell phones, if it works well for you, why would you need to update the OS or firmware of that device, unless it offers something very special..Also, sometimes a computer is being released, the first sale usually comes with the first latest BIOS, the second edition usually have the BIOS already updated, but the site still offers to download a BIOS update, which you already have.

An update of the bios is risky. The changes and the possibilities that something goes wrong are big. One of the reasons is that computer owners who don't know the right way to upgrade the bios still try to upgrade the bios of their computer. And since lots of things can go wrong when the bios gets updated they usually do go wrong if the computer owner doesn't know exactly what to do.

One of the tricky things is that the bios is a small program. This program starts the computer board. The bios then starts the hard disk and the operating program. So the computer needs the bios to run. This small program that is called the bios is stored in a chip. This chip is attached to the computer board. This means that when the bios gets corrupted it is very hard to replace the chip that contains the bios. It is probably needed to replace the complete computer board if the bios gets waisted and if the bios can't be repaired anymore.

When the right methods are followed the updating of the bios doesn't give any problem. Like the other member says in the other post, when the computer works fine there is no special need to update the bios. So if the computer runs fine there is no need to try to upload another version of the bios.

One of the risks is that the computer board doesn't work fine with the new bios. So computer boards can have the option to safe the existing bios. This needs to be done before the bios is updated. The storage of the old bios version makes it possible to put the old bios back into the chip of the computer board if the new bios doesn't work properly.

There are probably several tutorials available on the internet about updating the bios. It seems the bios can for instance be updated using an usb-stick and a floppy.

Links to websites with more information:

https://www.wimsbios.com/

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by zenia (see edit history)

All BIOS components are serviceable via a firmware upgrade that is known as "flashing" this process is called "updating the BIOS". The process itself is fragile since any power fluctuation during a flash may irrevocably corrupt a BIOS' firmware. Great care will need to be taken in order to safely accomplish this.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The information in the quote states that the computer board is put into the risk of getting damaged when the bios is updated. Fluctuations in the power supply can ruin the software program that is called the bios. During common and usual use of the computer fluctuations in the electric power supply of the computer do no harm to the computer. The update of the bios puts the computer under a higher risk to stop running. On this behalf it is recommended to leave the bios like it is and to decide not to upgrade the bios if there is no necessity to upgrade the bios.

The upgrade of the bios can probably be usefull when new components are added into the computer. Like when another processor, another hard disk or a solid state disk are built into the computer the computer board might need an update of the bios. This might result in a computer board that runs like expected when the computer board uses the new components.

If the bios faces problems there is another solution. This approach can be used before the bios is updated. Before updating the bios it can be handy to reset the bios. The bios can be put back to the factory settings. Reasons for the bios to work badly can be repaired when the original factory settings are installed back. If the bios and the computer board and the computer work fine after the resetting of the factory settings there is probably no need to update the bios.

If given the opportunity I'd update the bios any day. If doing it for a client, you have to explain the risks associated with the procedures. I think the PROs out way the CONs.Usually if it is a BIOS release, then it is something the original equipment manufacture would like to rectify but couldn't before the product left the factory, due to product to market time, through finding out by testing/consumer feedback, better implementation of hardware discovered or for future compatiblity with newer technology or standards.There was one time I had to jump a BIOS. I was glad it was not for any of my clients but was for my ABit Fatal1ty board. So I have two of those boards now. That was the last time I did a rush bios job without carefully reading all the requirements 1st.There are also some 3rd party bios companies out there that can flash your bios chip or you can buy a preflashed bios chip. I never had to use there services, but I guess that may very from country to country.Well that's it for now, unless someone would like to add to the subject.levimage :)

There are more options available concerning the bios. Some computer boards have two bios chips. They offer the opportunity to store the settings of the bios. So if the update goes wrong there is always the possibility to regain the original setting of the bios.Replacement of the chip that contains the bios is pretty hard when the chip is attached firmly to the computer board. Chips that can be moved from the motherboard are maybe a bit rare. It seems the companies that offer to replace the chip don't charge high prices. The price of a new chip has to be under the price of a new motherboard. Otherwise it is not usefull to replace the chip.

The main risk with updating your computer BIOS is that if the update fails, your computer will become 'bricked' and unable to boot up. This may occur if the BIOS update somehow stalls during the update process, the BIOS update is corrupted during download from the motherboard manufacturers website, or your computer loses power (from loss of electrical power or fluctuations from the computer's power supply. Unfortunately, once your motherboard's BIOS is bricked, it probably is unlikely to be fixed without expert help or total replacement of the motherboard.Before you decide on whether to update your computer's BIOS, you should consider the features and performance advantages it brings, and whether it is worth the risk of accidentally damaging your existing stable BIOS setup. A good thing to do to look around for feedback from other users who have attempted the BIOS update, and see whether any problems have been encountered. Most of the time, BIOS updates will install quite fine and not cause significant issues as they would have been thoroughly tested by the motherboard manufacturer, but occasionally BIOS updates have caused problems to motherboard that otherwise would not have occurred. One last note, ensure that you download any BIOS updates from only the manufacturer website, to make sure that it is valid and certified for use for the specified motherboard.

Once I thought updating to current was a good thing, but it turns to be not that good an idea as we understand it. A professional told me, "Never touch your Bios unless you have to do so". In fact, this advise can be applied on many other software as well.-- if nothing broken, don't fix it.

Don't know if anyone heard this. Doesn't removing your motherboard CMOS(battery look like) will reset the bios and all the motherboard memory as it hold it? It will return exactly into factory setting and that include time and BIOS....Correct me if i'm wrong :-D

Don't know if anyone heard this. Doesn't removing your motherboard CMOS(battery look like) will reset the bios and all the motherboard memory as it hold it? It will return exactly into factory setting and that include time and BIOS....Correct me if i'm wrong :-D

Not he BIOS version. The BIOS is written permanently in the E-EPROM. However, the BIOS settings will be removed if you remove the battery.

You don't have to update your BIOS if you don't have to. The newer versions of BIOS are for hardware compatibility, for example: If you are updating your system with new hardware like graphics card or something similar, the new hardware may not be available for using because the motherboard's BIOS doesn't supports some new technology or something, I'm not sure. Anyway, here's my story:I have J&W IP-43S motherboard and I used to roll weak graphics card, nVIDIA 7100GS 128MB with Turbocache technology but... I was planning to buy another, better and more supportive graphics card and I found an advertisement on a Macedonian forum for IT and stuff (Badijala.com). The advertisement was 1 year old Galaxy N9600GT 512MB DDR3 with 2 weak's old Zalman VF1000 cooler with warranty and it cost something like 50 euros or 67 dollars. I bought the graphics card from the guy and I was very happy because I never had a graphics card like this one before. I've installed her in the PCI Express 2.0 slot on my motherboard and booted up Windows 7 operating system and the whole system was like, slow... very slow and I couldn't play any games or see website's flash from Adobe. I was very much worried that the graphics card may be broken or something but the seller was persistent that she's in top condition. Also he insisted for me to check compatibility for my motherboard and the graphics card and in that time, I got the point that I need to install newer and better BIOS drivers. I've searched the motherboard's website and found newer version than the one that I was using and download it. I was worried that I'll need to install it trough floppy or something risky, but the installation was like setup. I installed the setup soon as I've download it and restarted my PC. When I restarted my PC, the magic from the Galaxy N9600GT 512MB DDR3 was already feeling when I booted up my Windows 7 operating system and from then, the graphics card rocks. I'm playing every kind of games, old ones, new ones, any kind! Normally, the new ones on medium graphics settings because the technology goes forward, very fast! That was my story dudes, I hope you've learned something from it. :P

it really in my opinion depends on if you actually need to upgrade your bios, say if you need the update to allow a better processor to be run on your motherboard. another benefit can be extra features which unless you really need it isn't worth updating the bios for them generally it is best to not update you bios unless you are having problems with it and even then it is really risky. s do not rush into it and make sure you leave all of your computers resources free for the update to use and make sure that no one will accidently unplug the power causing it to crash.