xisto Community

Happy Halloween!

Its again that time of the year,we are celebrating,All Hallows’ Eve.O I wish I had the time,to dress up like a villain,a zombie, vampire,or witch.But hell I don't got some time,only to make this rhyme.Enjoy All Saints’ Eve,with pretty much belief

We don't celebrate Halloween in our country, even though it's an American festival, but it seems to be spreading around the world, as some people do celebrate it here and even super markets essentially talk about Halloween, even though the festival is different in our country.As funny as it can be, but it's true. :)

We don't celebrate Halloween in our country, even though it's an American festival, but it seems to be spreading around the world, as some people do celebrate it here and even super markets essentially talk about Halloween, even though the festival is different in our country.
As funny as it can be, but it's true. :)

Woooooah! I did not know that Halloween was not celebrated globally. So how do other countries do it? If I were to celebrate Halloween at another country by going door to door with a Halloween basket, would people not open their doors to me?

In my country nobody goes trick and tricking, I think it's only done in USA?There is a different celebration in my country, where you need to have a mask or something and go to doors, but it's in spring and it's quite a different celebration.I don't know about other countries, but I doubt they celebrate it at that time.When in USA you celebrate Halloween, we have a different custom called All Soul's Day, usually we need to go to the cemetery, clean up there and etc. ;]

Woooooah! I did not know that Halloween was not celebrated globally. So how do other countries do it? If I were to celebrate Halloween at another country by going door to door with a Halloween basket, would people not open their doors to me?

Also remember that, in some very poor countries, people even don't have a door closing their house. And even if they knew about Halloween, they would have nothing they could put in your basket.Also, in some European countries, Halloween is seen as an artificial commercial event, so standard people do not appreciate to have to go to a shop in order to buy candies because some stupid children will come and knock the door! :)

Where I come from we call it Hop-Tu-Naa (hop-choo-nay) which is a gaelic festival which actually pre-dates halloween. We also seem to be the only Celtic region which seems to celebrate it which is weird, but oh well. Hop-Tu-Naa is the celebration of Oie Houney, which is the original new years eve and means "This is the night". The children go still go around to peoples houses dressed up and sing for sweets however originally they carried turnips instead of pumpkins and didn't dress up in scary outfits. Also they sing hop-tu-naa songs. Originally they would also bring the turnip stumps with them, and if someone refused to give them money then the kids would batter the door with the turnip stumps until the person inside either goes mad and gives them money or chases them off with a hoe. I would write down the hop-tu-naa song but I doubt anyone on these forums speaks manx lol

In my country nobody goes trick and tricking, I think it's only done in USA?

I think Canada does trick-or-treating as well. I guess each country doesn't exactly celebrate Halloween the way the United States celebrates the holiday but I believe that most countries celebrate still do something for Halloween even if it is cleaning up a cemetery. I know that Mexico does something called "Day of the Dead" on November 2.