xisto Community
Omniscient

Text Any Phone For Free Online txtDrop

So my friends , in my daily journey over the internet i find a nice website.I think for some of use is useful.Let´s see.

Check this out.

Here is the link txtDrop

txtDrop is a great free online website in which you can txt any phone for free, and the individual you txt can txt you back, and have an actual conversation. Your txt's goes to their phone, however their txts go to your email.

I just used it to text my Textfree number on my iPod touch and it seems to be working perfectly :) What would make this service amazing is postponing the text message to a certain time of the day so you can get alerts via text message.

Unfortunately I don't live in the United States. I am from United Kingdom so sadly this service is not available to this country at present. However, I have had a look at the website and must say that it looks a pretty good service.The only question/thing that you need to consider is do you trust a website like this? Once you have given a website like this your phone number and email address or a phone number of a friend, can you trust this website not to send you an everlasting load of spam?Here in the United Kingdom there is a similar website, called Cardboard Fish SMS however this doesn't allow you to receive replies via email, only send text messages.Hopefully there will be a similar service to txtdrop here in the near future.

Edited by GrumbleBall (see edit history)

And I also would like to know how this can work. Because it costs money, to send texts to phones. Obviously they buy SMS's at gross prices, but how do they have their money back? Or do they charge the final phone user?

Because i don´t live in US i can´t test this service , but i´m pretty sure they don´t charge nothing , from receiver or sender.

I am pretty sure that they charge the receiver standard charges if they do not have unlimited texting. I also want to know how sending texts is free as well. On my textfree app, I send tons of text messages daily and the only thing that I see that has a possibility of generation of money for the service is a little ad but I don't see how that alone is enough to provide the free service.

The only other way that they could possibly be able to offer free text messages for both the sender and the receiver would be for txtdrop to display adverts on their website. Maybe they receive enough money through advertisements to pay the cost of the modem that sends the messages.I'm not sure but this is probably the case. I would imagine that a website like txtdrop would be an extremely popular website which would mean that they amount of users they receive, users that would click on the adverts would most definitely generate a fair bit of money for the company.I have just had another look at the website and they do indeed have adverts so this must be the case :)

The only other way that they could possibly be able to offer free text messages for both the sender and the receiver would be for txtdrop to display adverts on their website. Maybe they receive enough money through advertisements to pay the cost of the modem that sends the messages.
I'm not sure but this is probably the case. I would imagine that a website like txtdrop would be an extremely popular website which would mean that they amount of users they receive, users that would click on the adverts would most definitely generate a fair bit of money for the company.

I have just had another look at the website and they do indeed have adverts so this must be the case :)

Yepp, it is pretty unlikely since the website only gets paid for the adverts for every time a user actually clicks on the ads which probably will not generate income for the texts. My only other thought is that the server emails the phone numbers email. For example, most free text services ask for the recipient's phone carrier. After giving the necessary information, the server sends the text to (for example, Verizon) (856) 458 - 4545 (this is a fake number). The server will send a text to 8564584545@myvzw.com. I really do not know. It is just a possibility that I came up with.

Yepp, it is pretty unlikely since the website only gets paid for the adverts for every time a user actually clicks on the ads which probably will not generate income for the texts. My only other thought is that the server emails the phone numbers email. For example, most free text services ask for the recipient's phone carrier. After giving the necessary information, the server sends the text to (for example, Verizon) (856) 458 - 4545 (this is a fake number). The server will send a text to 8564584545@myvzw.com. I really do not know. It is just a possibility that I came up with.

I think you absolute right about these. From what I can gather from different sources and articles on the Internet, most mobile phone service providers have Email-to-SMS gateways which allows emails to be sent and received as SMS by the receiver.

Unfortunately, this system is probably susceptible to spammers, since there doesn't seem to be any sort of validation required on the part of the sender, who can simply generate the mobile numbers automatically, add the email address of the SMS gateway to the number and start sending spam messages. If having spam in an email inbox wasn't enough, imagine having the phone playing the message received tone all day just because you are receiving spam messages.

It's a surpise I read above comments on this service. There are a lot of this web text to phone free service over recent years. Since I don't use mobile often, I don't pay much attention on this service. But I'm sure there are a lot.

You can pretty much send text free by directly goto cell providers website, or you know the format such as,:Sprint phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.comVerizon phonenumber@vtext.comT-Mobile phonenumber@tmomail.netAT&T phonenumber@txt.att.neta simple email will serve yout text purpose.

http://www.sms-messaging-hub.com/

This is another on of these Internet to phone sms services. It works on the text message containing a small paragraph stating that the message was sent from (whatever name was entered) and using the cbfsms service.

There are however a few disadvantages to this service.

One is that on each and every text you send there is a captcha, which i suppose is expected on a service like this.

Secondly, their uptime on sending text messages is rather unpredictable. There have been days when hundreds are messages could have been sent and others where you are lucky to get two sent!.

However, its always one for the bookmarks list. You never know when you might need a text message sent, but have no phone, credit etc.

I like to use TextFree to text different people. In my opinion, it is better than the regular free texting sites on the web because this one gives you a number that people can text back to. Also, as well as getting a personal texting number that people can text, you can also access this from your iPad or iPod Touch if you have one. Since my real phone does not have any texting, I like to use my iPod to get free texts. The only downside to this is that you need wifi internet whenever you want to recieve or send a text message to someone.