xisto Community
Best Of Breed

Windows 7 On A Usb

First, you have to make your usb bootable. >>>>You screw this up, you will be formatting YOUR hd and not the usb....<< 1. Open CMD with admin privileges. type: diskpart list disk this will list your current drives, note the size of each drive. i have a 298g and a 7684MB option.. the second being my flash .Next, Type; select disk 1 clean create partition primary select partition 1 (or which you one you want to put your windows 7 on) active format fs=NTFS >>Coffee Break<< assign exit2. Insert the Windows 7 bootable .iso disk, you should have made change the directory to where you windows 7 disk is; Mine was E:\, While my Usb was H:\ type; e:\ (or your dvd drive leter) cd e:\boot bootsect /nt60 h: (h: being your usb drive)Now all you do now is copy the entire windows 7 cd over to your usb drive and hoo-lah. windows 7... on a stick. Few Notes: 1.Yes, after writing this i realized i could have just mounted the .iso virtually and saved myself a nice dvd, but it was burned , so i used it. 2. You WILL NOT be able to access your C: drive as you do not have "Permissions" to do so, even in admin mode. now this is going to happen even if you install it on an extended partition, the only way to go around this is to just 'upgrade' your windows to 7 and hope its doesnt screw up.Enjoy.

So, as far as I understand, doing this you made your created a bootsector on your flashdisk.And you copied your whole Windows7 DVD.And what do you obtain, then?Do you have a working Windows7 directly off the flashdisk?Or do use this for installing off the flashdisk?

What about the drivers for various components on different computers? Do you have any solution for this?I haven't tried your way of creating a windows 7 USB but I have tried other ways (most of them didn't work for me) on my previous computer. On my current machines, I get this ugly message that tells me to remove all USB connected devices or the system won't boot. I guess my current lappy doesn't support USB boot. It is an HP DV6 3040us. I think I am getting off-topic now.Well the real question I wanted to ask was: Is there any solution for pre-installing the drivers on the USB OS. Suppose I have three different computers all requiring different drivers for the graphics adapter. Can I make some arrangement in the windows on USB where all three drivers are pre-installed and depending on the hardware, only the corresponding driver operates. I know this could potentially be a hard thing to achieve but it would have bothered many people so chances are that someone would have created a nice way to solve the issue.

I never checked this method on my own comptuer. This method just makes use of the DVD and all the drivers and files are loaded as per the DVDs content is copied into the USB. So there is nothing less or more in it in case of USB. I think only issue one can have is when there are bad USB drivers and if the BIOS is old then surely the booting is hard to manage. In case of existing OS, there is no chance that it will allow to boot onto the USB if there are corrupted USB driver. There are some recovery disks and usbs where one can use drivers that lets any usb boot into the system and BIOS never makes any objection against it.That's all I can say about this. Unless someone test this in old and new computers, It is really hard to figure out how to solve some of the issues that are going to be there with USB. I doubt if there are any such issues anymore. Mac is bootable via USB, So is Windows 7 and soon there is going to be Windows 8 bootable via USB. Old media like DVD and other discs are on the brink of expiration anyway. So USB boot makes sense.