xisto Community
Vistz

The New Ubuntu Release (maverick Meerkat) Is Now Available

You can download it here

Note: This is not the beta version.

If you already have Ubuntu installed on your computer. You can go to System>>Update Manager>>Upgrade and it will automatically install for you. If you don't have Ubuntu, you can create a CD where you can try it out before installing it. The instructions to do that can be found on the same site listed above. I believe it will be under Step 2.

Enjoy.

Ooh, did they fix the instant CD tray retraction issue? That's been one that's always bothering me.

Ooh, did they fix the instant CD tray retraction issue? That's been one that's always bothering me.

Not sure about that specific issue. I personally am going to stay with Lucid (the previous version) for awhile. I've read that there isn't a significant change from 10.04 to 10.1 but I don't want to discover some hidden bug after I make the switch. Edited by vistz (see edit history)

Not sure about that specific issue. I personally am going to stay with Lucid (the previous version) for awhile. I've read that there isn't a significant change from 10.04 to 10.1 but I don't want to discover some hidden bug after I make the switch.

So far there haven't been any issues with 10.10, and actually the major change in it is that they've fixed a lot of bugs that were present in Lucid. There might not be many changes in the appearance or the features, but the core has been updated and it is much better than Lucid. It's a shame that Ubuntu will no longer work on systems with less than 1GB RAM :) Lucid never worked on my old PC with 512MB RAM and Maverick is no different. If you've got 1GB RAM or more, then you can surely have a good time with this latest distro :D

So it checks if you don't have 1 GB of RAM it won't even install? it doesn't matter if it's SD, DDR1 or DDR2 or DDR3? As it may have performance differences and it could be 1 GB or 512 MB will work differently depending on the type of RAM, so is the 1 GB a must or it's recommended to have at least 1 GB?:)

It's a shame that Ubuntu will no longer work on systems with less than 1GB RAM :D Lucid never worked on my old PC with 512MB RAM and Maverick is no different. If you've got 1GB RAM or more, then you can surely have a good time with this latest distro :)

I don't think so...
I have just installed it last Oct. 13 on my Virtual Box configured to use 768mb memory out of 2Gb and it just works.

The only problem I have seen now is that Empathy has some weird behavior that it doesn't immediately open a chat window when you double click on a contact. It takes a quite a few double clicks before it actually displays the chat window.

I don't know if it is a bug or what but I can still use Pidgin if Empathy won't work. :)

So far there haven't been any issues with 10.10, and actually the major change in it is that they've fixed a lot of bugs that were present in Lucid. There might not be many changes in the appearance or the features, but the core has been updated and it is much better than Lucid. It's a shame that Ubuntu will no longer work on systems with less than 1GB RAM :) Lucid never worked on my old PC with 512MB RAM and Maverick is no different. If you've got 1GB RAM or more, then you can surely have a good time with this latest distro :D

Well with my laptop, the CPU throttles after I've been watching a video for about 15-20 minutes. I'm hoping they fixed that problem in Maverick.

It's a shame that Ubuntu will no longer work on systems with less than 1GB RAM :) Lucid never worked on my old PC with 512MB RAM and Maverick is no different. If you've got 1GB RAM or more, then you can surely have a good time with this latest distro :D

Are you sure about that? I don't think Ubuntu would be able to maintain most peoples respect for the Linux ideals if it became apparent they were upping the minimum memory required.

Ok...To clear it up, here are system requirements to install Ubuntu on your desktop.

This edition will run on most PCs, including those with Intel or AMD processors. To use Ubuntu, you should have a PC with at least 256 MB of RAM.
And to install it, you should have at least 4 GB of disk space.

Hope it's clear...

So it checks if you don't have 1 GB of RAM it won't even install? it doesn't matter if it's SD, DDR1 or DDR2 or DDR3? As it may have performance differences and it could be 1 GB or 512 MB will work differently depending on the type of RAM, so is the 1 GB a must or it's recommended to have at least 1 GB?

I should have made myself clearer when I said it won't "work" on systems with less than 1GB RAM. You can install Ubuntu 10.10 on a system with even 256MB RAM, but it would be dreadfully slow and unresponsive. At least that's what I experienced when I installed it on two systems with a 2.3 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM. Each task takes a lot of time to complete and watching videos is almost out of the picture! On a slower processor (Intel Atom) and 1GB RAM however, I found 10.04 (the previous version) ran very fast, booting up within 15 seconds, and functioning at full speed. Even now, I tried running 10.10 through the Live CD on my old system, and after booting up completely, it was very, very slow to do any task and I had to accept the fact that it just wouldn't work well enough!

This edition will run on most PCs, including those with Intel or AMD processors.

To use Ubuntu, you should have a PC with at least 256 MB of RAM.

And to install it, you should have at least 4 GB of disk space.

That's true; it will run on those PCs, but it won't be a smooth performance at all. It would be a nasty experience and new users would actually get irritated if they were trying to run it on a slower PC! Actually, new users are safe, because most people who buy computers these days get a minimum of 1GB RAM anyway, so it wouldn't make any difference to them and they would be able to enjoy Ubuntu. It is the old users who haven't upgraded their systems who face this problem.

Okey...So it's already clear bro.Anyway, I just got a fresh installed Maverick three days ago and as of now, I have no worry on my system.The Emphaty just works smoothly so I don't have to install other chat software.I can play music and watch videos also and I already have it installed Windows XP inside it...

Okey...So it's already clear bro.
Anyway, I just got a fresh installed Maverick three days ago and as of now, I have no worry on my system.

The Emphaty just works smoothly so I don't have to install other chat software.

I can play music and watch videos also and I already have it installed Windows XP inside it...

Good to know. I'm assuming that your system configuration is pretty decent and on such systems Ubuntu will definitely work like a charm. Glad to know that you're enjoying the new operating system. Any quick reviews other than on Empathy? Do you find any improvement in terms of performance compared to the previous version?

Good to know. I'm assuming that your system configuration is pretty decent and on such systems Ubuntu will definitely work like a charm. Glad to know that you're enjoying the new operating system. Any quick reviews other than on Empathy? Do you find any improvement in terms of performance compared to the previous version?

Not sure about ysNoi, but as for me, Ubuntu generally runs faster than Windows XP. For one thing, Ubuntu doesn't have the extra files and junk that comes with Windows. The startup and shutdown time are noticeably quicker in Ubuntu. Also, one main thing to add is that Ubuntu does not get viruses. If I recall correctly, as of a few months ago, there were 3 viruses that were known to Linux, and most, if not all, of them have been fixed in subsequent updates.

This was the first time I ever got into Linux -- with this version. So I think I came in at the right time. i was definitely impressed with the features, especially the quick loading time. The only thing I could not do, and I was using Linux through a Virtual Machine was get the "special effects" to work. But it was a very lightweight system and I'd recommend it for beginners who are just getting into Linux.