xisto Community
frazz86

Notepad++

Hi all in other post you may know i use notepad++ i was wondering who else uses it and what plugins have you got as i have no plugins dunno what i should get i am a PHP/mysql/HTML Scripter nothing else really so any plugins?

I use the portable version of Notepad++, so I have it on my USB flashdisk along with my files, no need to install it when I switch from my PC to a friend's one.And I have no plugin, si everything remains very portable. :)

I am using Notepad++ when editing php files, text files, database SQL dumps and much more. It saves me time to open notepad++ rather than to open Dreamweaver when I only need to edit at most 20 words.Since Notepad++ was a really nice editor, I have my default "view source" renderer set to notepad++.I don't use plugins since the default program highlighting was already enough and I only do plugin installation when for some reason they did not come pre-installed which happen around 10% or 1 out of 10 installation that I made.Notepad++ have more features and more memory support than notepad and runs as fast as notepad and for my case opens on less than a fraction of a second compare to notepads loading time of 25seconds.

My favourite feature is the fact that Notepad++ directly opens source files coming from a Unix Machine.Standard Notepad shows Unix files as a single-line text, which is really painful.So, each time I can, I nfsmount the Unix sources filesystem on my PC and edit my programs with NotePadd++.

My favourite feature is the fact that Notepad++ directly opens source files coming from a Unix Machine.Standard Notepad shows Unix files as a single-line text, which is really painful.

Same here, since I always do a database dump using Linux shell, the files don't have the Line Feed / Carriage Return pair that windows needs to decide that a new line must start, what I get was a very long single line text which I can't even read or follow.

It is also very helpful when I open my error.log file and have all of its item starts on the first character column.

Am I the only one having problems with the Notepad++ highlighting when coding JavaScript and PHP?
Sometimes it randomly happens that all the colors disappear. The solution is to remove some lines before the <?php or <script> tag, and in some cases, if it looks like this:

Lalalalala<script>

I have to make it look like this and then make new lines again to make it work:

Lalalalala<script>

Also what colour theme do you use custom or setup ones tried my own but the just look weird so tried some of theres they are pretty good so i just settle on them, so what colours do you use? default or not?

Anyone noticed the buggy release of notepad ++ ? i have seen that notepad is asking me to update every time even after placing settings for not to. This is annoying if you happen to see the same window asking for plugin upgrade everytime you start. I have two plugins to upgrade which i did after the warning. Now even after the upgrade i'm still getting the warning. I don't know what is wrong with the release this time. I guess i'm running some alpha right now or maybe those plugins are buggy.

LOL. My release version is : 5.7 Build Jul 3 2010. Oh and the version is titled as UNICODE. Whatever that means because i never managed to figure out what they mean with unicode or binary when they release text editor like this.

i never managed to figure out what they mean with unicode or binary when they release text editor like this.

Unicode is the way a text is written, see here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode.

Unicode is a computing industry standard for the consistent encoding, representation and handling of text expressed in most of the world's writing systems.

Even Microsoft Word, if you want a "special paste", asks you if you want to paste raw text or unicode text.

So, a decent text handling software has to be able to handle unicode text.

Imagine that I select something inside a window and I can't paste it in Notepad+++!