xisto Community
frazz86

Making Text Based Game

Hi all i have decided i want to make a text based game like these...

http://movoda.net/

http://www.syrnia.com/

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I have got all the files for making a mafia text based game but i want to make a text based game like them any wanna help have good knowlage please PM asap thanks alot

ALSO I AM STUCK I KEEP GETTING ERRORS--Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'a9466816_db'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/a9466816/public_html/mysql.php on line 2

if some one could help as to whats going on :)

If you don't know how to connect to mysql through php then I suggest you go through a tutorial on how to write php and its many different functions. You can't just jump in to making a text-based rpg without learning the different programming languages you're going to be using.Writing your own rpg is a big project and requires coding skills and up-to-date security techniques to protect your users.I'm going to be writing an article in the tutorials section on writing a basic rpg game. Keep an eye out for it.

If you don't know how to connect to mysql through php then I suggest you go through a tutorial on how to write php and its many different functions. You can't just jump in to making a text-based rpg without learning the different programming languages you're going to be using.
Writing your own rpg is a big project and requires coding skills and up-to-date security techniques to protect your users.

I'm going to be writing an article in the tutorials section on writing a basic rpg game. Keep an eye out for it.

I do know PHP i just can't for the mind off me work out MYSQL XD its so frustrating

I NOW HAVE MCCODES V2 AND DOES NOT COME WITH THE MYSQL CONNECT FILE....

How do i connect?

install phpmyadmin, or use the one provided with your Xisto cpanel, and you will be able to administrate your database, see the users, connect as a user, etc...

I think you should install XAMPP or uniform server on your computer. Once you install those you can experiment with php and mysql easily. Start slowly, don't go directly into connectivity if you don't know how to. Start with working locally on php files then get into database programming. There are some tutorials for working with database on xampp or uniform server. Some online tutorials applies to example only online server, you can modify them to work locally.

Yet another error 'Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/a9466816/public_html/mysql-connect.php on line 3'Here is my code<?DEFINE ('DB_USER', 'a9466816_db')DEFINE ('DB_PSWD', '....')// i have put my password in i have just blocked it out for you guys :)DEFINE ('DB_HOST', 'mysql4.000webhost.com')DEFINE ('DB_NAME', 'a9466816_db')$dbcon = mysqli_connect (DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PSWD, DB_NAME)if (!$dbcon) {die('There is a small error connecting to database')echo'Connection was very sucsessful'?>

Yet another error 'Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/a9466816/public_html/mysql-connect.php on line 3'Here is my code

<?
DEFINE ('DB_USER', 'a9466816_db')
DEFINE ('DB_PSWD', '....')// i have put my password in i have just blocked it out for you guys :)
DEFINE ('DB_HOST', 'mysql4.000webhost.com')
DEFINE ('DB_NAME', 'a9466816_db')

$dbcon = mysqli_connect (DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PSWD, DB_NAME)
if (!$dbcon) {
die('There is a small error connecting to database')
echo'Connection was very sucsessful'
?>

XD never mind that is was my stupidly bad i have done it now :D

Lol. When you're done with the project then don't forget to post the code here so that others can learn from you. I mean if you choose to open source your code. Else no worries you can keep it to yourselves. Showing that to others does help atleast to newbies.