xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Windows Internet Problem

I have a really odd problem that started last night.My internet connection does not work in any applications other than Internet Explorer 8. Even programs that use IE's settings such as Windows Media Player or Windows Live Messenger are unable to connect. I just tried the 32-bit version of IE and that doesn't work either, only the 64-bit version does.I have tried disabling COMODO Internet Security but that did not help. I have also tried bypassing my router, as well as renewing my IP address. I have not installed any software or made any significant changes to any settings.In Ubuntu, the Internet works fine.Any suggestions?

Edited by FirefoxRocks (see edit history)

No PortableFirefox isn't working either.I have uninstalled all programs except for Firefox, Microsoft Office, iTunes, Shaw Support and Windows Live Messenger. Initially I thought it was a Java update that had caused the issue but upon uninstalling Java the issue is still not resolved.

So, it's inside your internet settings somewhere. Could a firewall or an antivirus program have been recently installed or reconfigured?A friend of mine recently had this problem, I could not solve it, I told him to go back to shop. And in the shop they said that it was almost nothing and they repaired it instantly. So, it was something really simple in the crosoft installation. Unfortunately my friend was so happy that he went back home without asking which was the problem and how it had been solved.Also, maybe removing and re-installing the Ethernet adapter drivers?

I've had loads of problems with windows updates in the past, especially on vista. I downloaded a sound card driver update through the windows update and it disabled the sound card completely. I rolled back the driver, the operating system, uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the official one and it still wouldn't work so I had to reinstall the entire operating system.Try doing a system restore to a previous date before the internet connection problems and see if that helps.

I already tried System Restore at that point, but it failed to restore. I ended up doing a non-destructive reinstallation of Windows 7, now I just have to figure out how to restore GRUB.

I already tried System Restore at that point, but it failed to restore. I ended up doing a non-destructive reinstallation of Windows 7, now I just have to figure out how to restore GRUB.

In most of Linux distros, in order to restore GRUB, you simply have to boot on the system disk and choose some options like "repair", "boot options". Worked fine each time for restoring the LILO boot on my Mandrake installs, should work exactly the same way for GRUB.