xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
slidstream

How To Make A Cheap Server Trying to make on

I want to cheaply put together a server for my fun and enjoyment. The issue, it must be cheap. Any suggestions?

Try with some old PC like I used for personal Counter-Strike server... I've used my old Pentium 3 PC with 900MHz CPU, 10GB HDD and 256RAM SDR. It ran pretty good, try my idea... you won't regret. :)

You can make your own firewall/router fairly cheap which has the added benefit of being faster and more secure than most consumer routers. Most routers run fine on 5+ year old hardware as most of the embedded routers (think the Linksys blue box) runs on much less. First, put together a working machine either by begging, borrowing, but not stealing. Next, either get a Linux distribution or a free router application. A list of suitable Linux distributions can be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. I personally use the Astaro Security Gateway (https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/unified-threat-management.aspx) which is a great all in one package that is free for home use.

Another possibility would be to purchase a Microsoft TechNet Plus subscription for around $250. This has a high price tag but you get every single OS, including all the servers, for a really good price. TechNet is similar to a MSDN subscription so donât use the servers in a commercial environment. If you are in school, your school may already have a MSDN agreement with Microsoft which will get you everything you need for free.

If youâre not a Microsoft guy, almost every Linux distribution is free and can be configured as a server. The most expensive part of this equation is the hardware which with a little looking, Iâm sure you can get for free. If anything, search the classifieds or put a word out that you are looking to learn about computers but donât have one. If someone made this comment to me, I would load them up and send them on their way. Just donât be afraid to let people know what you want.