xisto Community
rbeede

Opinions On Wifi Tethering Cell Phones

So I have an Android phone that I added WiFi tethering too. It's very handy for those moments when you are helping fix someone's PC and their Internet connection goes out or, they don't have wireless.So far cell providers don't offer this as a feature out of the box, but they are rumored to do so soon.Do you think this should be something that is free since we're already paying for a data plan or no? Anyone know of other good cheap alternatives if cell phone providers start charging for something like this?I know MiFi devices are offered by cell providers, but they charge a lot ($60+ / month) for an Internet connection that isn't usually faster than 2mbps. Anyone seen some more affordable mobile Internet technologies?

Many providers do not allow tethering because computers can generate more traffic and they can do it much faster than cell phones and this could overload the wireless network. Here in Belgium we have a new virtual operator, Mobile Vikings which is probably the best provider ever if you want internet on your phone. For every top-up of €15, you get 1Gb and 1000 text messages for free (valid for 31 days) and tethering is allowed, tough phone calls are a tad expensive (which is no surprise :D ). I've tried WiFi tethering on my phone, it works, but the power usage with both WiFi and 3G connected is huge, I can literaly see the battery indicator dropping :) Anway, for Windows Mobile you have to pay for WiFi tethering software, tough I don't see why because you can share internet connection via USB and via Bluetooth by default.