xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Backlinks: The Backbone For Seo

I have researched for quite a while on SEO and after having a sound knowledge about the methods, techniques and terminology of SEO I cam to conclude the backlinks are the backbone for SEO.

SEO means how to optimize your website to do good on search engines and their results and it is of utmost importance for webmasters because whatever is the reason you make a website, the success of the website depends on getting more and more traffic and since most of the traffic always come from search engines therefore in a way SEO is related to the success of your website. Besides many other important factors of SEO there is one called obtaining backlinks.

It should however be noted the search engines are intelligent nowadays and that they do not only look at the quantity of backlinks you are having. They look at the quality as well and in fact quality is preferred to the quantity. A question here might arise in your mind if you are new to SEO that what is meant by the quality of backlinks. The answer is very simple; link from good quality websites means good quality link and link from bad quality websites means bad quality link. Sincs google determines and evaluates the quality of the websites in terms of page rank therefor obtaining links from high page rank websites means obtaining high quality link and obtaining link from low quality website means low quality link.

The purpose of this long discussion was only to make clear that if you obtain a backlink from a website of PR 7, it will have more weight the hundreds of links from PR 0 or even PR1 websites.

why backlinks are that much important

It is a concept similar to the effect of saying that important things are discussed by every one and the more a thing is discussed in related fields the more important it is so applying this theory on the world of internet where talks are equal to content and talking about others is equal to linking to others then it is worth saying that the more a website is linked from related sites the more important it is

The thing I would like to know is how to get natural backlinks. Backlink building is so long and I am wondering whether it wil benefit me in the long term so i'm thinking of a blog to promote my website, What do you think, good idea? Article marketing seems to me like a blog post with less link juice to your site.

This is good to know. I'm currently in the process of developing 2 websites and I would like for them to be ranked high in Google. I have one question for you though. What would constitute as a website of PR 7 vs a website of PR 1 or PR 0. I'm just curious because I don't want back links from "bad" websites.

The thing I would like to know is how to get natural backlinks. Backlink building is so long and I am wondering whether it wil benefit me in the long term so i'm thinking of a blog to promote my website, What do you think, good idea? Article marketing seems to me like a blog post with less link juice to your site.

Getting natural backlinks (natural in the true sense) means that you don't make others to give you link. Elaborating the concept, a link obtained by you through publishing an article is not a natural backlink. Similarly a link obtained by you through commenting on someone else's blog is also not a natural backlink. Obtaining natural backlinks purely depends upon the quality of content on your website. An example of a natural backlink would be: suppose a visitor comes to your site through google's search (or any other source) and he liked the content on your site. Then while posting on a forum or commenting on a blog, he posts a link to your site saying "hey I once visited this website and it had really awesome content". This would be an ideal natural backlink. And believe me, in the longer run, only this type of link building is going to help you because other types including article marketing and blog commenting are limited to the time you can give to your website. When you start a new project and you don't have enough time to give to your old website, then the ranking of your website will become still and it will not rise further. So if the content of your website is great, people will naturally link to your site and you will get more and more backlinks and your ranking will improve with each passing day.

This is good to know. I'm currently in the process of developing 2 websites and I would like for them to be ranked high in Google. I have one question for you though. What would constitute as a website of PR 7 vs a website of PR 1 or PR 0. I'm just curious because I don't want back links from "bad" websites.

If a bad website links to you, it doesn't affect your rating or reputation at all. The concept behind this is that it discourages the competitors to damage your reputation by posting your links on bad websites. In this way the competitors can only surpass you by making their own product better than you and not by damaging your product. The thing that damages your rating and reputation is your linking to bad websites. Google and all other search engines have their own classification of bad websites and you must follow their classification and never link to bad websites. An easy method for Google is to check the PR of the website you are going to link to. If it is 0 and the website in not very new (which can be checked from the "whois") then most likely the website is a "BAD" one. You should avoid linking to such websites. Any website which has some PR (even PR 1) is not a "BAD" website and linking to such websites won't harm your own rating.If you have a PR7 website and you are linked by PR0 or PR1 websites, it is good for you. Although it is not as good as being linked by websites of PR higher than your own PR, but still a link is a link and although it brings little reputation with it, it does or potentially does bring a lot of traffic to your website, which in turn can be hugely beneficial. So don't be afraid of being linked by low quality or young websites. A link to your website can never do harm to you. It can only do good. It is your linking to other websites which needs proper attention and strategy.

@AhsaniqbalVisited your site and it improves a lot. ***********On the topic, natural back links usually fare better than other method of back links. I was aiming to get that and i guess it will be a few more steps for me as more contents are already available though i don't have enough time to write them on the web. One thing that can damage ranking even if you have a high seo and a high backlink rank is the loading time of your website. That is the reason why I push on getting a VPS. This step is optional though since the problem with loading time is highly connected on your hosting service. Hoster that oversell each server beyond it's capacity is a sure drag to end up on lower page ranking.I got mine ranking 3 on page 1 drop instanly in 2 days to page 10+, taking it back to page 5 have taken me 4months. :P

@AhsaniqbalVisited your site and it improves a lot.

On the topic, natural back links usually fare better than other method of back links. I was aiming to get that and i guess it will be a few more steps for me as more contents are already available though i don't have enough time to write them on the web.

One thing that can damage ranking even if you have a high seo and a high backlink rank is the loading time of your website. That is the reason why I push on getting a VPS. This step is optional though since the problem with loading time is highly connected on your hosting service. Hoster that oversell each server beyond it's capacity is a sure drag to end up on lower page ranking.

I got mine ranking 3 on page 1 drop instanly in 2 days to page 10+, taking it back to page 5 have taken me 4months. :P

@vhortex
I am really glad that you checked on my website.
I am really eager to know more about the impact of loading time on my website rank in search results. Most of the traffic to my website is coming from google (although the traffic is not much but I can hope it to increase with the rank of my pages being increased). I am really worried about the ranking of my pages and I would love to know about factors that can boost or decline my search engine rating.
I have two internet connections. One is a bit slow and the other one is relatively fast. I have a firefox plugin installed on my computer which shows the onpage SEO factors of a page. The name of the plugin is DOCTOR SEO and it also shows the loading time of each page. When I am connected through the slower connection, the loading time of my website rises to about 15 seconds but when I am on the faster internet connection, the loading time drops to less than 8 seconds. So I thought that the loading time depends on the internet connection and has nothing to do with the server.
I remember once visiting a section of google analytics which showed that my site is slower than about 70 percent of sites on the internet. I researched on its implications and how its calculated and I found that it depends on the quickness of server's response to google bots. With further research I found that the major impact of a slow site is that google bots will index less number of pages on each visit. I didn't find any information saying that this can affect my search engine rating.
Please share with your knowledge of slow sites and the affects of slowness on search engines. Also please tell me how can I improve the speed of my website.
I would also like to share another thing with you which is related to loading time of my website. The pages on my website which don't have any ads on them load faster than those which do have ads. Does this affect the rank of my pages in search results? Also I want to ask you that I recently added a CPM banner on my website which takes a whole lot of time to load and thus increases the loading time of my website. Will this affect the search engine rating of my webpages.

Slow loading pages are being measured by Google using their very own connection to rank you. This is not hard since Google have distributed servers around the globe. If your server is slow or over loaded, Google checking will also be slow and you will get penalties is this slow access go on for days. If your scripts are slow and your server is fast, you will only get smaller amount of indexed pages. It is rare to have a fast loading script or static pages on slow servers.

SEO Doctor is not accurate but it is the best guess. You can't trust it's page load time calculation since it is limited on your current ISP and region. It's suggestion is pretty nice and gives you an instant insight that slow loading pages will rank lower in comparison to faster loading pages.

What you need to worry is this type of error "503 - Service Unavailable" and "504 - Gateway Timeout", this signal google that your website is not a good place to ranked and to be visited. Error 503 means that the server is pretty busy to respond to new connection request and 504 most of the time means that the proxy or gateway have timed out or given up waiting for your webpage to load.

Slow loading pages are being measured by Google using their very own connection to rank you. This is not hard since Google have distributed servers around the globe. If your server is slow or over loaded, Google checking will also be slow and you will get penalties is this slow access go on for days. If your scripts are slow and your server is fast, you will only get smaller amount of indexed pages. It is rare to have a fast loading script or static pages on slow servers.

SEO Doctor is not accurate but it is the best guess. You can't trust it's page load time calculation since it is limited on your current ISP and region. It's suggestion is pretty nice and gives you an instant insight that slow loading pages will rank lower in comparison to faster loading pages.

What you need to worry is this type of error "503 - Service Unavailable" and "504 - Gateway Timeout", this signal google that your website is not a good place to ranked and to be visited. Error 503 means that the server is pretty busy to respond to new connection request and 504 most of the time means that the proxy or gateway have timed out or given up waiting for your webpage to load.

That was a nice reply but I must say that you have left some questions unanswered. I asked you about the effects of placing ads (which increases the page loading time) on the ranking of a page in search results. I also asked you about the impact of placing CPM ads (which increases loading time much more as compared to google adsense ads) on the SERP. I am really worried about the SERP of my webpages and I really need to know these things.

Please leave a reply to this @VHORTEX

Let me debunk some myths -

1. Slow loading pages - What qualifies for slow loading pages ? Malicious scripts, sql injected pages. Google bots are not designed to read java, flash and video content. Video sitemaps crawler is entirely different and it only arrives if the previous bot finds the too many video content on your site. Think about it, if loading time is so rated as per human perspective then all those ffmpeg based video hosting sites and the people posting videos on wordpress sites are supposed to be penalized. In worst case it's not penalty but more of devaluation of links.It's not even related to hosting, bots are reading text content on your site and the frequency is dependent on their own criteria or you have to choose from webmaster guidelines. Also your browser loading, ISP loading has nothing to do with website loading speed. I use GPRS to access websites and all the sites in the world open for me in 3-5 minutes. So all sites need penalty from my own secret super-awesome pagerank algorithm :P

One thing that can damage ranking even if you have a high seo and a high backlink rank is the loading time of your website.

Is it ? :P so in order to penalize you i just have to run xrummer backlink bomb with your domain name and you'll get penalized ? you think high backlink gets ban that way ? funny. Always think of penalty in this way - 0 or 1. Your site either gets credited with high backlink or it simply gets ignored by google PR (public) and trustrank(secret algo) from google. Just because site has high backlink doesn't mean they'll get penalized. :-)
Guys don't pay attention to PR of your site. That public PR is not real at all. Google kept trsutrank secret which matt cutts mentioned in his blog plenty of times. Worry about staying within the reach of trustrank. There are many misunderstanding that i see in this thread. Seriosuly read blogs from matt cutts and micheal gray if you're going to study SEO for your sites. P:S- always take matt's opinion with pinch of salt because he's google empployee and will hardly reveal many things that you want from him.

1. Slow loading pages - What qualifies for slow loading pages ? Malicious scripts, sql injected pages. Google bots are not designed to read java, flash and video content. Video sitemaps crawler is entirely different and it only arrives if the previous bot finds the too many video content on your site. Think about it, if loading time is so rated as per human perspective then all those ffmpeg based video hosting sites and the people posting videos on wordpress sites are supposed to be penalized. In worst case it's not penalty but more of devaluation of links.It's not even related to hosting, bots are reading text content on your site and the frequency is dependent on their own criteria or you have to choose from webmaster guidelines. Also your browser loading, ISP loading has nothing to do with website loading speed. I use GPRS to access websites and all the sites in the world open for me in 3-5 minutes. So all sites need penalty from my own secret super-awesome pagerank algorithm :P

Slow loading pages = Slow responding servers. Bots don't need to load the whole page, they only need to time how many seconds or even minutes a serve reply with error 200 (in short.. a servers way of telling that everything is fine). While reading headers, you are not loading any of the following (flash, video, images and injections).

That was a nice reply but I must say that you have left some questions unanswered. I asked you about the effects of placing ads (which increases the page loading time) on the ranking of a page in search results. I also asked you about the impact of placing CPM ads (which increases loading time much more as compared to google adsense ads) on the SERP. I am really worried about the SERP of my webpages and I really need to know these things.Please leave a reply to this @VHORTEX

Ads only drive traffic away from your site, as long as the ads won't generate the time out errors, they will have minimal effects. What you need to worry about them is when the bots starts indexing and they follow the your ads links. The bots gets lost and won't bother to come back again until the next scheduled scan.

Slow loading pages = Slow responding servers.

Bots don't need to load the whole page, they only need to time how many seconds or even minutes a serve reply with error 200 (in short.. a servers way of telling that everything is fine). While reading headers, you are not loading any of the following (flash, video, images and injections).

Google doesn't penalize any site or domain based on where it is hosted unless the hosted server is linkfarm or is already penalized by google. Slow responding server is not the reason for google's action against slow loading. It's about scripts that makes page loading slow which google is currently filtering.

Ads only drive traffic away from your site, as long as the ads won't generate the time out errors, they will have minimal effects. What you need to worry about them is when the bots starts indexing and they follow the your ads links. The bots gets lost and won't bother to come back again until the next scheduled scan.

Most of the adsever codes, ad javascripts from known ad networks are ignored by google bot as per matt cutts.

Is it ? :P so in order to penalize you i just have to run xrummer backlink bomb with your domain name and you'll get penalized ? you think high backlink gets ban that way ? funny. Always think of penalty in this way - 0 or 1. Your site either gets credited with high backlink or it simply gets ignored by google PR (public) and trustrank(secret algo) from google. Just because site has high backlink doesn't mean they'll get penalized. :-)

Guys don't pay attention to PR of your site. That public PR is not real at all. Google kept trsutrank secret which matt cutts mentioned in his blog plenty of times. Worry about staying within the reach of trustrank. There are many misunderstanding that i see in this thread. Seriosuly read blogs from matt cutts and micheal gray if you're going to study SEO for your sites. P:S- always take matt's opinion with pinch of salt because he's google empployee and will hardly reveal many things that you want from him.

@Starscream, First of all let me say that I am very glad to see you back. You have really helped me throughout.

I read a post from @Vhortex in which he indicated the dramatic effects of slow loading time on SERP. I tried to find something on it by searching on Google but I was unable to do so and then I made some posts here.

I am glad to hear that there is no penalty for slow pages. I do understand the damage done by slow loading times on the user end (less people will like to visit my site) but because my niche have more than 90% new visitors, most coming from search engines, therefore this is not such a big issue for the time being.

I have added a lot of pages to my website and I have submitted my website to a lot of directories. As a result google has awarded me a PR of 3, but I don't see any increase in traffic with that increase in PR. So this confirms your idea of not going after PR thing and just developing your website for your visitors.

Adding more pages is not earning me a lot of traffic so now I have decided to change plans a little bit. I think that I have added enough pages and now its time to get exposure to main pages of my website. I am planning to work on improving the SERP of those pages the main keyword of which receives a lot of traffic. I will obviously do this by obtaining backlinks to those pages from a number of different websites. I have decided to use article marketing as a major source of backlinks. Is this approach correct? I need your advice on this.