xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Nomenclature Of Muscles How the different muscles are named

The nomenclature of the muscles is defective and confused, and is generally derived from some prominent character which each muscle presents some of these characters are discussed in the lines below: Some muscles are named from their situation, as the tibialis (related to tibia bone), peroneus (related to the perineum)Some muscles are named according to their uses, as the flexors, extensors, adductors, abductors, levators, tensors. Some muscles are named according to their form, as the trapezius, triangularis, deltoid.Some muscles are named according to their direction, as the rectus, obliquus, transversalis.Some muscles have received names expressive of their attachments, as the sterno-mastoid, sterno-hyoid.Some muscles have got their names because of their divisions, as the biceps, triceps, digastricus, complexus.

Interesting observation. Do you have any preferred system of nomenclature, or even a totally new one to suggest? Perhaps this kind of thing should deffer to cladistic taxonomy and comparative anatomy.

Interesting observation. Do you have any preferred system of nomenclature, or even a totally new one to suggest? Perhaps this kind of thing should deffer to cladistic taxonomy and comparative anatomy.

I do not have any system of my own and I will not like to have one because the current system is working well. It is easy to remember the names of the muscles with although it take a little time to get familiar to it. I think it is better to first understand a few latin terms for example brevis means short so the muscle which have brevis included in their name will be short and this becomes a memory sign to remember the muscles

He does not have any system, he is simply posting facts borrowed from http://www.mananatomy.com/