xisto Community
mahesh2k

Future Of Asp.net ?

I’m interested in switching to asp.net as i’m currently working on java server pages. The thing about java server pages is that there are less projects coming for it these days. So thinking about switching to asp.net. What do you think about he future of asp.net ?I’m asking this because i’m seeing decline in java platform after 2008. There are very less projects coming for the java platform and many projects switching for the php and asp.net. So i was curious about the .NET platform and where it will stand in future. Though i’ve some contacts working on asp.net platforms but there is not much in depth information i’ve got from them for the career switching decision. So what is your opinion in this case ?Is asp.net going to stay longer in commercial application area ? Also if i have to pursue certification for the asp.net then which one i have to choose ? is there any exam module available in microsoft’s official certifications ? Another question: WPF/WCF are essential for asp.net learning ? or they can be learned overtime ? I’ve so many questions to ask just not sure if i’ll get enough answers for it. Your reply is much appreciated if you can help in this case.

If you are thinking about your professional future life, you should start thinking where you want to get a job.If you want to try to work at Microsoft, the path is obvious.If not, maybe you should consider that a lot of companies start looking towark the open world, so they try to escape from the Microsoft world.So, the real question for your future is :To be, or not to be Microsoft ?

Now there :) you guys are making me more confused instead of guiding. Lol, i agree yordan i have to think in that direction. My point here is that though more and more companies are opening towards open source platform still there are some companies which are not opening their enterprise projects on open source platform. I have seen it in most of my experience that .NET platform is growing instead of declining so that makes me more confusing. It's not about hate or like asp, it's about getting things done. I like java but when it comes to getting things done fast java is ugly and useless platform to offer your clients. Things that left off and bugs are simply ridiculous with java, i've limited experience with php so i can't say the same with php. But open doesn't mean perfect cause with project more and more issues are there which are usually made easier with commercial tools instead of open source. I don't know maybe if my company offers any php project i'll go for it. But then again let's see how things proceed ahead.

People who know ASP.NET are usually happy with what it can offer and what it can do, it has really a lot of good features, but the only bad factor about it is that you're stuck with Microsoft product, with Microsoft servers and etc.As I know, usually only more serious projects use ASP.NET as it's quite expensive, but is good for fats and rapid development.In my country most of projects are done with PHP, JSP and ASP.NET, ASP.NET is usually used in goverment projects and Europe Uniono projects where they like to throw money away :DJSP is used usually in less serious, but BIG and SERIOUS projects, which require clean code and security, PHP everywhere else :)To answer your question, ASP.NET has quite a good future, as Microsoft is investing a lot into databases and their programming languages, especially .NET as C#, ASP.NET applications and Windows Servers are getting more popular and serious.

Ah that is kinda helping me indirectly:D thanks quatrux. I'm seeing the same things here that some of the government and corporate projects are created using asp.net. There are less projects with JSP/EJB so that's bulls eye for me for oobservation as i confirmed it with your post. Thanks again quatrux. Just wanted to know more opinion about .NET and it's future. any other views ?

The main reason why so many websites are built in PHP is because it's completely free: there are many free development tools, it's easy to integrate in Apache (which is also free) and it works best with the free mySQL server and all these great things work for free on any free linux distribution. That's also one of thre many reasons why so many free/cheap webhostings have php, but don't support ASP.net .This does not mean that ASP.net is bad or that it sucks. Since I'm almost graduated, I've started looking for a job and I was quite surprised by the amount of companies looking for ASP.net developers (or developers who now ASP.net). Apart from that, I know nothing else to tell about ASP.net as I don't now a thing about it and I've never tried it before :) Your other questions WPF and WCF. You're not likely to need the latter in the beginning, WCF is an API you use for remote procedure calls, which means that an applications on computer A can do something like computerB.doMyThing() which triggers a function call on computer B after which computer B sends the result of that function back to computer A.The first, WPF, is something you won't be using, as it's only used for desktop applications, what you might be using is Silverlight, which is something like Flash and is only there to make a website look fancy. You don't need it at first, you can just start with plain HTML and CSS and do exactly the same thing as you'd do with PHP.Btw, if you want to develop for Microsoft, then you'll have to move to India, because that's where most MS Developers work. In other countries it's usually just marketing and support.JSP, as mentioned earlier is indeed for HUGE projects only as it's a wacko language and extremely hard to work with ... I've used it once and I can tell you that it took me a few months to do what I could have done in a week with PHP.Hope this helps a bit :D

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Agree that PHP is used in most of the production websites and the users are growing rapidly. Also agree with you on useless-ness of JSP and java side. It's really getting over my nerves with java. more code to debug and more errors to correct. i don't know the people who are defending java all these years, how and why. i see asp and php doing many things quickly and efficiently without much to do for testers. but on the other hand there are many things to do for java testers. seriously if anyone is inesting their time on java development it is complete waste.