xisto Community
Soviet Rathe

Review Of Est Nod32 Antivirus4

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok heres my complete review of EST NOD32 Antivirus

NOD32 isn't that well known, it's pretty new and I had to do my research before choosing to test it out, after reviewing all of the other AV's Norton,Kaspersky, etc.. I decided to give NOD32 a try. because it had very few negative reviews and many good reviews.

before going any further I must warn you, this is the kind of AV that the geeks at the computer store will recommend, there are ALOT of settings so to fully customize it, you will need to have moderate knowledge of computers.

The 30MB package installed in about 1/2minutes. after entering my username and password for the premium upgrade, it began to download another 30MB file to upgrade it (since I had the premium version).

Posted Image

User Friendliness: The first thing I did was look at the list of settings, as stated above, there are a TON of settings to customize (don't worry though if you don't know what most of these mean, the default values should be fine for the normal user). NOD32's settings are quite unique to other antivirus softwares, you can completely customize and automate every aspect of how it runs, (scans before or after certain events, updates, actions, etc..)

When it has something to tell you, a discreet little bubble will appear on the system tray saying "NOD32 requites your attention" I find that pretty human like XD

Posted Image

After configuring NOD32 I restarted my computer (It didn't ask me to, but I went ahead and did it anyway). once my computer restarted, I checked my system tray and discovered it was doing a startup scan, as soon as I realized this, I opened task manager, while doing the "startup scan" it uses about 45-50MB which isn't too bad considering McAfee uses more then that when it's idle! basically what the startup scan does is scan your computer's memory and system files for infections (not your whole computer) and it takes less then 2 minutes to complete.

Ok let's get to it's virus detecting ability, the way it handles suspicious files is also unique then that which other AV softwares do while doing a full system scan it detected some suspicious files, some of them it identified the threat they carried, others (this is the unique part) it identify's as "Probably a variant of a ----"

This is what the company calls "Smart Scan" which are new threats it can't identify, but potently dangerous, and it found a few threats that my old AV (Avast!) couldn't. also, while doing a full scan, it uses 40-50MB of memory, now there is a slight system slow down, but not too bad, and they can still work on things where alot of other AV softwares would use so much RAM you have to walk away because your computer is useless at that time. (NOD32 system scan took 55minutes)

Posted Image

It updates about twice a day and the file sizes are usually around 200-400 KB, and by default, it does a startup scan after every update.

Tested on:

Dell E310

Windows XP

512MB RAM

Summary

Pros:

Uses 30-35MB of memory when idle.

Scanning uses 40-50MB of memory.

Virus detection ability is excellent.

Runs on any system smoothly.

Cons:

None!

My rating:

10/10 in speed and recourses.

9/10 in User Friendliness.

9/10 Virus Detection ability.

Overall: 10/10

I highly recommend it to anyone!
Edited by yordan
Quoted the text from http://www.trap17.com/forums/Review-Est-Nod32-Antivirus4-t71011.html&p=480433#entry480433 (see edit history)

I'm using NOD32 and it is working quite fine here on my computer. atleast it is not Norton to hog all of the resources and leaving no room for work. internet security of nod32 is also nice package. just wish they had good malware and spyware with them.

I'm using NOD32 and it is working quite fine here on my computer. atleast it is not Norton to hog all of the resources and leaving no room for work. internet security of nod32 is also nice package. just wish they had good malware and spyware with them.

I actually use Norton and it really doesn't hog any resources at all. It is much less resource intensive then what my old anti-virus package was (Mcafee.) Mcafee really used up way too many resources and it made my computer extremely slow whereas Norton keeps it virus free and it still maintains a good speed :)