xisto Community
8ennett

Which Is Your Preferred Antivirus Poll Just out of general interest

Preferred antivirus  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi.Me personally I've done work for companies and non profits which usually use Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro. I've also seen some oem's use limited or lite trial versions of from the respective vendors. Me personally, since I do computer consulting and troubleshooting, I usually use what the OEM vendors has installed on the workstation or laptop till the evaluation subscription runs out.In the mean time I take note of how the program runs. Is there a performance hit, is there unnecessary scanning when I'm trying to accomplish anything, does the software background scanning/cache engine competing with me? I also let the program do it's updates and occasionaly I run some myself. I HATE THE NORTON PRODUCTS OR ANY OTHER SOFTWARE OTHER THAN THE OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRING A REBOOT. I check to see how much of a typical download size takes, etc. and what permission are required for the software to install it.Looking at the customization options and features are a big plus for me. The more control I have, the more happy I am. I use to like the ablility to create recover disk/cd's, but that feature is always almost removed from modern packages. I HATE THE SUITES WITH ONLINE BACKUP THAT CANT BE CUSTOMIZED OR DISABLED.Once the trial period is over, I notice Norton and McAfee although still running and providing limited protection till that last update, is nearly disabled. All options, reports, histories, and manual update/scans are not selectable. (You can still initiate scanning by right clicking a SINGLE drive letter to scan).What's left is just a software suite with is not operating at it's intended capacity. Strange though 3rd party programs report the software still does program updates but not the virus definitions. The software is more annoying now, it always connects online even more that when it was activated, and keeps pushing out ads with the first option selected to redirect you the website or be reminded later.ONE MORE THING I HATE IS WHEN YOU TRAIL AV SOFTWARE SUITE TRIES TO IMPLMENT A FIREWALL OR NETWORK DETECTION/HANDLING, AND YOU HAVE YOUR OPTIONS DISABLED. TALK ABOUT BAD PLANNING FROM VENDOR. I ALWAYS HIT UP HOTSPOTS AND WIFI'S IF I CAN GET A SIGNAL.Then all the pros and cons are added up, and you get your 1st virus or un removal spyware infection my typical means, or you are tired of all the hoop la. Just uninstall it and try AVG Free Edition, or AVIRA, or which ever package is FREE and possible has the best support for 32 and 64 bit modes, Windows Vista/7 optimizations, and support for multi-processor or Mult-cores.Be weary though one of the FREE AV suites (not going to mention which one) had a problem after a reboot which rendered your Windows 7 64bit operating system disabled, till the patch came out. I'm not sure if it was a Live recovery CD or the actual av suite, cause I'm still on my trial.I haven't posted in a long time and well that's what I have to say about the topic. :PLevimage

You might not need an antivirus for linux due to the passworded root tree, however there are more viruses out there created for linux than any other operating system, followed by windows and then mac os. The majority of "viruses" for windows aren't viruses in the slightest, they are ad-ware. There is a big difference, virii cause damage and ad-ware just pi**es you off. There are more viruses for linux simply because of the amount of different versions there are. People develop these rootkits for all kinds of different versions of linux, and although the exploit they use are usually repaired within hours of it being discovered (advantage of an open-source community) you are still not 100% protected.