xisto Community
8ennett

Which Is Your Preferred Antivirus Poll Just out of general interest

Preferred antivirus  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So it's time to choose which of the following anti-virus software you prefer to use. Kaspersky Zone Alarm Norton Mcafee AVG Nod32 If you prefer to use a different anti-virus then post it here and let us know. I personally prefer to use AVG, it's free, easily used and extremely safe. When ever I buy a new pc or laptop it always comes with either Norton or McAfee on it, and I find both of these slow the computer down by an incredible amount. Also they seem to integrate in to every single part of your computer. I've used AVG for years now, and as long as I'm not stupid and install some rubbish on my computer then I have remained virus and adware free now ever since. So what's your choice and why?

Personally I use for some time now and am happy with Microsoft Security Essentials which are free, even though it seems that the product is from Microsoft, it's quite light and powerful, doesn't have a lot of options, but it works.But I voted for Nod32, as it's used at my job and it's really good, it's light and I can't remember someone getting a virus, but of course a lot of whom are using limited accounts for safety, because most of people does not require administration rights.

Other: Avira. The user interface is nice and simple. Also, the size of the program itself is pretty lightweight. Only thing is that it conflicts with other Anti Virus programs such as AVG.

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials at the moment but my favorite antivirus software is Panda Cloud antivirus. It is not on the list of antivirus software that you provided but this is my favorite since it is lightweight and doesn't take up all of your RAM. I have tried McAfee and Norton but they take up too much memory and it gets annoying. I haven't tried any of the other antiviruses on that list.

I think Avira should not fall on Others selection on the poll.I used to use it because of it's simplicity. You can also update its ivdf manually if you don't have internet connection.I'm just using it on my guest OS XP...!

zone alarm i used it for while now and it has never let me down on stopping and finding viruses even the free version is good at its job. it comes with some excellent features which are good for keeping your computer running at good speeds. i have used others but none of them can match zone alarm i even used the panda beta for windows 7 beta when it came out and that didn't come close to zone alarm. i like the ip address hiding thing as well means my isp has more trouble spying on me which is something i hate people doing is spying and helps to prevent people from getting direct control over my computer.

Linux guys don't need AVs. :PBut if needed to scan a computer of someone in my homenet, I'm using ClamAV. The best antivirus in my opinion as it is free, open-source and cross-platform.

Edited by Qrntz (see edit history)

personally i always take off whatever anti-virus has been put on any computer i buy or recycle (i repair and upgrade older computers and sell them cheaply to in need families) and install avast, it is free, and in my opinion as good if not better than AVG.i do find it a little sensitive at times when it classifies threats out of things i know are virus free just because of the nature of them but i would rather it be too sensitive than not sensitive enough.

mine is not even on the list, lol I would go with ZenOK Free Antivirus it provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

and it is a free download that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. Itâs easy to tell if your PC is secure â when youâre green, youâre good. Itâs that simple.

I personally prefer Avira. Much more better in cleaning virus. AVG now not so effective in cleaning. It can detect but do nothing if it a new virus. Totally the same but much more effective. Both are free to use. But Avira has some problem in updating when you freshly install. But once you get update, all smooth out. Try it. Can be combine with other antivirus too. No conflict unless the other antivirus you use won't accept Avira. But no worry, just install the other antivirus first then Avira. Try it. 5 star from my thumb :P

Edited by alam83 (see edit history)

Linux guys don't need AVs. :PBut if needed to scan a computer of someone in my homenet, I'm using ClamAV. The best antivirus in my opinion as it is free, open-source and cross-platform.

Are you kidding ? ClamAV is the worst I've ever tried :o . No offence, but ClamAV lacks the resources to have an up to date virus database and decent scanning engine.
Personally, I prefer Avast Home edition. Imho it's the best free av solution available. First of all, it doesn't have annoying ads like Avira has and it's a lot faster than AVG. It may not have the best scanning engine, but it's fast, has a nice up to date gui and since I'm not using a lot of high risk applications or visit risky site it perfectly suits my needs. MSSE isn't bad either, it's faster than Avast but performs a bit worse in detection rates.

I'm not considering buying or paying for a commercial av-solution as the free versions do exactly the same :P (especially not McAfee, man, it sucks bigtime).