xisto Community
HannahI

Is It Legal?

I've been looking into jailbreaking my iPod touch, but according to Apple it is illegal. Not to mention everywhere elso on the net says that it is perectly legal. So does anyone have a final answer so I don't get into any trouble with it?

It's sold by Apple. Apple says what you are allowed to do, and what is forbidden.This is intellectual property, protected in most of countries.Everything you do against Apple's right is illegal. And everything looking like reverse engineering is illegal.So, yes, jailbraiking an Iphone is illegal. Cracking the Iphone software protection is illegal, exactly like cracking any other software protection, either in a game or in a professional software or in a movie.

Hacking the iPod Touch is not illegal. While Apple would like to make you think it is illegal, it is not, and it is impossible to get in any legal trouble for hacking it. You and Apple made an exchange. You gave Apple $400 and they gave you an iPod. It is officially yours and you can do whatever you want with it.
It is illegal to post copyrighted code, such as the operating system of the iPod Touch and the iPhone, on the Internet. But you wonât be doing that if you choose to hack your device.

If you look at it that way..... does it change?

If you look at it that way..... does it change?

It changes nothing. Just imagine if you go court. You bought it, and you signed a contract saying that you will not touch the code. If you go to court, the judge will read that assessment, and you will loose. Be sure that Apple did everything necessary in order that his rights are protected, any way people try to work around it.If you choose to hack your device, in order to use a commercial code without paying it, you are guilty. You cannot state that you were not aware of that, because this operation was impossible without hacking your device.
And if you don't want to use a software or a song without paying it, there is no reason to hack your ipod. ;)

I don't know why it's considered illegal. Some of Apple's clauses will not hold up as it go against Consumer Rights which overrides it, however testing their limits is not recommended as it's possible something could not be your right to do.I've jailbroken my iPhone, because I did not want to be locked into a network I didn't want to be with. I don't play into monopoly.I also wanted to run free software and use my phone how I expect it to work, not how they force you to use it. This whole idea of trapping people is ridiculous and I really wish Consumers expressed their rights this way.Remember, after jailbreaking your iPhone/iPod you lose their support, warranty, etc. Fair enough I believe.Cheers,MC

HannahI, the only thing Apple has done is made complaints. Their main concern was that "jailbreakers" modified their OS code which is illegal but those modifications were to provide things that Apple did not provide.Now it's possible to run an iPhone without any Apple OS at all, in which case... Apple complains it disrupts the network, etc.No matter what you do, Apple has an excuse for anything.If you're that concerned about it, then don't do it. By all means, there are far better devices out there (I long got rid of my useless iPhone).Cheers,MC