xisto Community
siennal

Children's Laptop Software

My kids have had a laptop for a while but up to now they have been happy using the bookmarks I have set up to go to the likes of CBBC, CITV, Etc. However, now my eldest is getting better at reading, writing and spelling I'm starting to get concerned about stuff he might come across on the web. We try where ever possible to be with him when he's surfing anyway so we can keep an eye on things but it's just not possible to be able to be there 100% of the time.

I've been looking at this Parental Controls and wondered if anyone has any experience of this or an alternative they can suggest?

I was going to suggest the Microsoft Live Parental Control things, but I guess that won't work on a Mac ;)The keylogger you suggested isn't going to protect your child as it only logs what they do instead of blocking things they shouldn't be doing.

ChildrenChildren's Laptop Software

Hi,you can try to use ActyMac DutyWatch.It’s tool for computer monitoring.I use it’s for record all website visited my kids and I know what they do.Try.It’s must be helpful to your.) :)

-reply by Joshua

ChildrenChildren's Laptop Software

Hi,you can try to use ActyMac DutyWatch.It’s tool for computer monitoring.I use it’s for record all website visited my kids and I know what they do.Try.It’s must be helpful to your.) :)

-reply by Christopher01

My kids have had a laptop for a while but up to now they have been happy using the bookmarks I have set up to go to the likes of CBBC, CITV, Etc. However, now my eldest is getting better at reading, writing and spelling I'm starting to get concerned about stuff he might come across on the web. We try where ever possible to be with him when he's surfing anyway so we can keep an eye on things but it's just not possible to be able to be there 100% of the time.

I've been looking at this Parental Controls and wondered if anyone has any experience of this or an alternative they can suggest?

I run a Windows Vista laptop and there are built in parental controls where you can limit the programs accessible for different users and block websites or only allow a set of websites that the user can access. For example, you could make it so a specific user could not go on CNN.com or so the only website that user can go on is CNN.com.

If you do not run Windows Vista, I suggest using WebWasher. It's a web filter that can be used with Mac. I think it costs money, but am not sure. It was used at my school and it was extremely hard to bypass.

Hi,

I think you need a screenshots monitoring software, webwatcher and staffcop is what I recommend. These softwares is capable in monitoring the websites that your child often hang out when he/she surfing the net. It also monitors the keystoke logging and email monitoring.

As some people have mentioned, Mac OS X has built in parental controls. You can create a new account for your child and then, from the System Preferences _ Accounts pane, you can check "Enable parental Controls" and then click the button for "Manage Parental Controls". That will let you select which applications the child can access from their account and gives you a couple of ways to control which websites they can access (specific whitelist/blacklist or use one of the popular rating services) and you can have activity logged. You can even filter what they can see in the Dictionary app if you really want to.

We are using OS X 10.5.8 and it is reasonably flexible. One annoying aspect is that when you are working with your kid and run into something they are not allowed to access but should be, you need to switch to an Admin user to make a lot of changes. But not too bad, and supposedly the newer Mac OS X versions are easier.

The other option is to go to an environment designed from the ground up for a child. We are just starting to play with an environment called "Sugar" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_(desktop_environment) ). It is a complete operating system designed as a learning environment and works well with touchscreens. It should run on any recent Mac or PC Laptop, I think. It is free, you can download it and burn it to a CD to try it and decide whether you like it.

There is no substitute, however, for being with your child or in the room much of the time they are using the computer, not just to monitor what they are doing, but to help them and see how they are using the software, what interests them, and what they might need to use it better. Also to limit the number of hours they spend staring at the thing. Having the PC they use in a public area of the house is not a bad idea. If you want something they can read/work on privately in their room or whatever, think about an e-reader with much more limited functionality. Also remember that young kids and expensive electronics are sometimes not a good combination.